Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Thread 2020

First I hope we keep drafting defense. Maybe some OL. Then. Late round RB.

As far as the pick we made. Couldn’t we have forced Miami’s or The Chargers hand by picking Tua at 3 and then asking for trades ? This is just a question I am asking.

Last edited:
First I hope we keep drafting defense. Maybe some OL. Then. Late round RB.

As far as the pick we made. Couldn?t we have forced Miami?s or The Chargers hand by picking Tua at 3 and then asking for trades ? This is just a question I am asking.

I don't think you can force a team's hand by taking the player they wanted. How often do you see a trade after a player is selected in the NFL? Teams have contingency plans if the player they wanted is taken. If we drafted Tua, Miami simply moves on.

Even if the Lions could play that game, Quinn and Patricia cannot take that chance. They have to win now. If they draft Tua and it backfires and they were stuck with him, they lost a huge upgrade for 2020 season.

I don't think you can force a team's hand by taking the player they wanted. How often do you see a trade after a player is selected in the NFL? Teams have contingency plans if the player they wanted is taken. If we drafted Tua, Miami simply moves on.

Even if the Lions could play that game, Quinn and Patricia cannot take that chance. They have to win now. If they draft Tua and it backfires and they were stuck with him, they lost a huge upgrade for 2020 season.

How much does our Cb help us win now? Most, though not all, take awhile to perform well enough to make a difference. But its basically new guy in, Slay out - so have we gotten better?

How much does our Cb help us win now? Most, though not all, take awhile to perform well enough to make a difference. But its basically new guy in, Slay out - so have we gotten better?

Sadly Tua doesn?t help them now either. I would have gambled and picked him and tried to trade him later. I think Tua can be good in a few years. Hopefully it doesn?t come back to bite us.

Sadly Tua doesn?t help them now either. I would have gambled and picked him and tried to trade him later. I think Tua can be good in a few years. Hopefully it doesn?t come back to bite us.

I think Tua's gonna be better sooner than later; IMO, it's not going to take him that long. He's a flat out player.

Honestly, I think the best thing that this franchise can do next season is have a terrible season, get Trevor Lawrence, clean out the organization, and start over. There's nothing left for them to do. This roster is not gonna do shit as constructed.

Look at the google picture. Guy in the back ground looks like he is sitting on the toilet right behind spandex guy.

Missed it.

As far Tua, yes he won't make us better in 2020-21. But it was posted like that's the reason we didn't draft him and went CB instead but losing Slay and CB in year one I'm not sure we get better with that scenario either.

Looks like Quinn was out foxed. Miami would have definitely paid for Tua.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/...labama-qb-tua-tagovailoa-fifth-pick-nfl-draft

Of course he was. But Quinn was too busy making sure that they didn't upset Stafford's feelings. Once he dispelled those rumors, they fucked themselves.

He's taking a page out of Avila's book. Just yelling their intentions from the top of the roof top and damaging their plans.

Our teams need to learn to stop saying shit publicly.

Missed it.

As far Tua, yes he won't make us better in 2020-21. But it was posted like that's the reason we didn't draft him and went CB instead but losing Slay and CB in year one I'm not sure we get better with that scenario either.

Me too
Yeah I getting it. Not the sexy pick. I would picked Tua and forced a trade.
Gambled that way. I would be happy to have him as a back up. It was stupid to sign a back up qb so earlier. It was stupid for management so say we better win now. It was stupid to pander to Matt. Quinn was out played by Miami.

Last edited:
I'm not thinking about the cap; just the way I feel about CBs. Unless they are HoFers, they don't go top 5 for a legitimate reason; they do not have the impact on the football field that most other positions do. And there is a lot more value to be had with CBs later on, and I do not know how different Okudah is compared to those guys.

I wanted Tua. Not changing on that. I get he is a risk, but the dude can change a franchise. Stafford's on his last few seasons. Time to start thinking about the future.

I understand what you are getting at, but not entirely sure if you are serious with the kicker analogy?

100% serious. If the GM feels the kicker is the absolute best difference maker in the entire draft... take him. Go get your head examined afterwords. Find a new line of work that maybe you're more suited too... but take the guy that you feel can win you games.

The current NFL record field goal is 64 yards. Imagine some superman legged kicker that can hit 90 yards with deadly accuracy... can you imagine never turning the ball over without scoring?

Sure, you take that guy every time, and don't worry about his position group. Obviously, that guy is the stuff of fantasy right out of a bad disney movie (and he was probably also a dog in that movie)... but if you find a guy that can help you win titles, you take him, I don't care what his position is.

100% serious. If the GM feels the kicker is the absolute best difference maker in the entire draft... take him. Go get your head examined afterwords. Find a new line of work that maybe you're more suited too... but take the guy that you feel can win you games.

The current NFL record field goal is 64 yards. Imagine some superman legged kicker that can hit 90 yards with deadly accuracy... can you imagine never turning the ball over without scoring?

Sure, you take that guy every time, and don't worry about his position group. Obviously, that guy is the stuff of fantasy right out of a bad disney movie (and he was probably also a dog in that movie)... but if you find a guy that can help you win titles, you take him, I don't care what his position is.

There's a lot of guys that do that and a lot of guys who don't do that any longer.

End of day 1 poll:

As of right now through free agency and #3 overall pick. Who feels we are a better team now than we were at the start of the 2019 season?

like it or not, position scarcity is a thing. It's evident in the draft and how players are paid. Over time it has become apparent that QBs & DEs are at a premium and are drafted and paid accordingly. CBs have not traditionally been drafted like that but I think maybe times could be changing. 6 DBs in the first round tells me they are...probably due to more teams utilizing 3 WR sets.

Your argument regarding a kicker is weak, but if the Lions think Okudah is a stud CB (top 10 in the league) the pick is fine. I think he can be a top 10 DB and if it weren't for no OTA's he would be the Lions #1 CB on the first game of the season. I think he is that good.

End of day 1 poll:

As of right now through free agency and #3 overall pick. Who feels we are a better team now than we were at the start of the 2019 season?

you should create a thread with the poll. Probably be easier that just posting it here

End of day 1 poll:

I honestly feel like we've just filled holes we created ourselves with comparable or worse players lol. Adding Okudah makes a ton of sense....but we got rid of Slay so we are worse. Got rid of Kennard...replaced him with Collins that puts up the same or worse numbers every year. Got rid of Wagner...got some dude that gives up the highest sack %age whenever he plays meaningful snaps. Got rid of Snacks....replaced him with Shelton who is a never was good. At this point right now we still have GLARING holes at G, DE and Edge rusher. All can be filled during day 2 of the draft and BQ has been focused on need this offseason...ill give him that.

Epenesa at DE and go sign Clowney...then Bredeson in rd 3. Poof....we look a lot beter than we did 24 hours ago. Baun at 35 fixes the pass rush slightly but REALLy improves our coverage at LB. Blacklock is an upgrade over Shelton but then we REALLY have an issue with pass rush.

Id have to say BQ has done a great job filling holes this off season...but they were self inflicted holes and i dont see us really upgrading a single part of our team at this point.

Back