Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Thread 2020

I honestly feel like we've just filled holes we created ourselves with comparable or worse players lol. Adding Okudah makes a ton of sense....but we got rid of Slay so we are worse. Got rid of Kennard...replaced him with Collins that puts up the same or worse numbers every year. Got rid of Wagner...got some dude that gives up the highest sack %age whenever he plays meaningful snaps. Got rid of Snacks....replaced him with Shelton who is a never was good. At this point right now we still have GLARING holes at G, DE and Edge rusher. All can be filled during day 2 of the draft and BQ has been focused on need this offseason...ill give him that.

Epenesa at DE and go sign Clowney...then Bredeson in rd 3. Poof....we look a lot beter than we did 24 hours ago. Baun at 35 fixes the pass rush slightly but REALLy improves our coverage at LB. Blacklock is an upgrade over Shelton but then we REALLY have an issue with pass rush.

Id have to say BQ has done a great job filling holes this off season...but they were self inflicted holes and i dont see us really upgrading a single part of our team at this point.

Trufant & Okudah = Slay and Melvin

Collins is an upgrade. He can cover and play the run better than Kennard and rushes better than Kenanrd.
Harmon is also an upgrade putting Harris on the bench
Shelton offers more pass rush in Snacks. less run D possibly as Snacks wasn't the same player in 2019 as other seasons
Hand health improves the rush

CB is upgrade. Yeah Okudah might not be as good as Slay but Trufant is a hell of alot better than Melvin. So CB is better. Slay wasn't exactly himself last year either so lower bar than usual. Coleman can be good, solid at worst. Plus Okudah cheap for four years compare to paying Slay big money for 3. That makes us better for more cap space plus two extra picks incoming

And now we got some good pass rush help starting us in the face at 35. It was set up beautifully

I?m still trying to figure out why we?re sitting on 29 mil in cap space? Maybe a Golladay extension idk.

Question mark players come June.

Look at the Saints, and they won't be the only ones before it's over. They have cancelled their entire off-season program. Other teams will do the same.

Now, you have some guys who were injured last year, and their teams can't even get a look at them before training camp fully begins. It's gonna leave some good players cut because the team can't carry the risk come June.

Or... that's total bullshit and we just have $29mm available and even Quinn isn't sure why yet. I dunno.

End of day 1 poll:

As of right now through free agency and #3 overall pick. Who feels we are a better team now than we were at the start of the 2019 season?

Not even remotely do I feel that way. Can we be? Maybe. But I feel we've taken some steps backwards everywhere.

Losing Glasgow is a big question mark for me.
Trufant is not Slay, and neither is a rookie Okudah.
Snacks hasn't been replaced. Even in a down year, he was a run stuffer.
A'Shawn not replaced.
Big V is a big question mark to me.

Even if Okudah lives up to his potential in 3 years, is that potential really better than Slay has been? I don't know. I like the kid a lot, and I feel like he's a Patrick Peterson type of player that can be dominant earlier than three years, but there's also a very good reason I don't work as an NFL scout.

Okudah is a day one starter. They need 2 of the 3 picks today to be impact players as well and maybe hit the lottery with a 4th or 5th round WR or RB

Or, maybe they really suck again and they could be in position to select Lawrence or Fields next year (both better than any QB taken this year)

Okudah is a day one starter. They need 2 of the 3 picks today to be impact players as well and maybe hit the lottery with a 4th or 5th round WR or RB

Or, maybe they really suck again and they could be in position to select Lawrence or Fields next year (both better than any QB taken this year)

Stafford would have to get hurt again to be picking that high.
They can get 2 more impact players for sure.

They could win with Dahl and Wiggins at guard but they will probably take a guard at some point. Or a OT and slide Big V to Right Guard possibly
Set at WR for 2020 so any WR pick is eye toward 2021
RB again they can win with Kerryon, Bo and Ty. Have the injury risk though

LB is Collins, Tavai, Davis with Ragland/C Jones as depth and JRM or Elijah Lee at ST

Secondary looks like the best in the league right now if Okudah lives up to potential. No weaknesses and some depth for a change at CB/S.

Basically need one good pass rush addition out of the next 3 picks. They could add both an EDGE and a DT then get guard at 85

TE Hock and James and Nauta

Some wild cards in Harris and Austin Bryant as well.

End of day 1 poll:

As of right now through free agency and #3 overall pick. Who feels we are a better team now than we were at the start of the 2019 season?

Worse. Made a bunch of meh free agency signings. Drafted a guy that is basically going to be taking Slay's spot, minus the experience. The QB is another year older and now has a serious worry in terms of his last injury.

And they still have the same head coach.

Lions have a new DC and ST coach by the way. That factors in
Bevell is awesome OC sans the time out Week 1

Just heard on the radio that Jalen Hurts is in play for 2nd round.

If they draft him, I don't have a single fucking clue what their plan is.

Yeah rumor mill always going strong

Bevell probably thinks he is Russell Wilson if that is the case

My shopping list Round 2..... five position-options for Quintricia

RB De'Andre Swift or D.K. Dobbins
DE Yetur Gross-Matos or A.J. Epenesa
DT Ross Blacklock
LB Zack Baun
OG Robert Hunt

Hope they take him because that will pretty much put the last nail in these clowns.

Hope they take him because that will pretty much put the last nail in these clowns.

Honestly, I love the entertainment value of it, so I hope they do also.

If they truly cared about the team, there are a bazillion options here and it would almost be impossible to screw it up.

Back