Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Trade Idea

I think if Gilbert is there you take him. I also think that trading down should be looked at. This team has no depth which is part of the reason they sucked so bad after a few injuries. I just think that trading up won't help this team in the long run. A team that is thin in talent and only has 7 picks....not a good idea to give up some of them to take a WR that you really don't need.

You trade up for elite guys...watkins or clowney are the only elite guys they should consider moving up for. Trade down is always welcome to address the depth issue you mentioned. Problem is you have a gm that has admitted in public he constantly misjudged the depth this team has. He thinks hes in a win now position. Reality is were only a couple years from w endling being a multiple game starter for us and since then not much has changed as far as depth goes. Lkp blames minor injuries every week/year for all the losses we compile. Were paper thin at online and been lucky we havent had injuries there. Dline safety lb wr all thin. The only thing we have depth at is corner and most of them suck lol. Not to mention god forbid staff goes down and Dan o gets thrown in lol.

Tell that to Charles Rodgers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams.

A 50/50 bust rate doesn't mean if you draft two you get one. It's not buy one get one free.

It means its a crap shoot no matter what, and you could end up with four or five bad ones in a row while someone else lands four or five great ones in a row.

In fact, consider the last five years with the Lions. Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Rieff, Ansah.

Not one of them has looked like a bad pick yet, and more than half have looked like great picks thus far.

Point is, the best prospect can bust, and the worst prospect can hit... so it's a gamle worth taking if you have that one special player you firmly believe in.

tell that to the Redskins with RGIII. The Rams are sitting pretty with the #2 pick in the draft because a team thought they had a special player. Don't get me wrong....I think it can be smart to trade up to get a guy you like but not in this case. The Lions are not a deep enough team to do something like that for a #2 WR.

I think elite gets thrown out there too much. Just get some solid defenders..I don't think you can have enough help in the secondary.

If you are going to draft a corner in the top 10 then he needs to be a guy that people look at as a possible perennial probowler. I just don't see it when I watched OK st. games. The same can be said for Dennard but I think to trade back into the teens and take Dennard would be a better choice then Gilbert at 10. The athleticism isn't as great but the position play is better. Dennard reminds me more of Peanut Tilman or Ronde Barber. He reacts quick plays good positioning and uses his hands to cause incompletions and fumbles. Also he is a solid tackler. I will take a hard nosed smart player over the more athletic undisciplined player all day. Gilbert reminds me of to many guys who got taken based on their potential but just couldn't play the position.

and so is the passing game (Stafford 3rd in NFL in yards). So, I would say what the Lions need is defense!

you said we need a running game ??? changing your mind now ?

and his #2 and #3 receivers were RBs....Watkins or Evans makes sense , if Mayhew is inclined to draft either.

like I said before I like Gilbert....but me thinks MM likes the CBs aready on the roster.

you said we need a running game ??? changing your mind now ?

and his #2 and #3 receivers were RBs....Watkins or Evans makes sense , if Mayhew is inclined to draft either.

like I said before I like Gilbert....but me thinks MM likes the CBs aready on the roster.

i like gilbert too. but if he is already taken, and if they can get a partner, i'd like to see them trade down a few spots and get Denarrd, and use the xtra picks to get our WR and depth

Anthony Barr is a possibility also.....Lions did quite a lot of homework on him also.

Anthony Barr is a possibility also.....Lions did quite a lot of homework on him also.

i think if they can hit a homerun like the last draft then this team will be in great shape for a playoff run. maybe even division title

Last edited:
Quit screwing around Slick, just tell us who we are drafting.

Every damned year you pull some random name out of your ass, mix it with a few guys we've all heard of, and manage to accurately predict every damned early round of the draft.

I seriously don't know how you do it man. The year you called Pettigrew and Delmas at #20 and #33.... still blows my mind.

So instead of all of use guessing and arguing about the draft, just fill us in... because you know more about this than Glover's Girlfriends my brother.

Austin wants to run lots of 3 -4......he would be a nice piece on the edge.

Barr seems better suited for a hybrid 3-4 system. I was down on him after the combine for our 4-3 but if austin finds creative ways to use him to add pressure...its a win. 10 may be a bit high imo but hes probably tge best pass rushing option in the draft when were up to pick. If gilbert is gone and you cant trade down...barr or solidifying rt probably are your 2 choices for bpa.

Quit screwing around Slick, just tell us who we are drafting.

Every damned year you pull some random name out of your ass, mix it with a few guys we've all heard of, and manage to accurately predict every damned early round of the draft.

I seriously don't know how you do it man. The year you called Pettigrew and Delmas at #20 and #33.... still blows my mind.

So instead of all of use guessing and arguing about the draft, just fill us in... because you know more about this than Glover's Girlfriends my brother.

lol....and the last 2 years Ive been DEAD wrong.

in all seriousness...I think he moves up and gets Watkins

i dont think he was here last year he's been gone ever since ESPN's message boards folded

Even dead wrong, you have been more right than me.

I got Stafford right. I got Suh right.

I have not gotten a pick right in the Mayhew era since. Not a fourth rounder. Not a first rounder. Nada.

If I was even close, we would have Rey Maualuga, Mohamed Massaquoi, Prince Amukamara, Jonas Mouton, Whitney Merciless, Courtney Upshaw, Lane Johnson, and Justin Hunter in Detroit right now.

Clearly, I am not even close.

Last edited:

I think he makes a serious push to move up just dont know if we have/are willing to give up enough picks. But our offense sure would be exciting to watch

Even dead wrong, you have been more right than me.

I got Stafford right. I got Suh right.

I have not gotten a pick right in the Mayhew era since. Not a fourth rounder. Not a first rounder. Nada.

If I was even close, we would have Rey Maualuga, Mohamed Massaquoi, Prince Amukamara, Jonas Mouton, Whitney Merciless, Courtney Upshaw, Lane Johnson, and Justin Hunter in Detroit right now.

Clearly, I am not even close.

Thats not a bad team! Hmmm ill have to go back and find some of my mocks...I know I wanted mercilus one year.

I hope he'll mix some 3-4 in there once in awhile.

If we take Barr I'm sure he will and I think it'd be great to keep the offense off-balance by switching to a 3-4 occasionally if we have the right players to do it. But I think it'll depend on our personnel.

Back