Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Evan Brown

detroit1811

twitter.com 13

PFF DET Lions (PFF_Lions) 13

Is Evan Brown the best center in the NFL?????

Evan Brown vs Rams:
????85.2 pass blocking grade (1st among centers)
????0 sacks allowed
????0 total pressures
4:30 PM - 25 Oct 2021 13 468 37

The silver lining to Ragnow's injury is this guy getting a shot. Obviously it is early and we will see how it goes as the season progresses, but the early returns are very promising. Maybe he even pushes Big V off the roster next year if they think he can make the switch to guard. Would create some salary cap relief and plug another hole on the roster.

Decker Jackson Ragnow Brown Sewell looks like a very good starting 5 if Brown can keep this up and make the successful switch.

Wish we could have seen the oline at full strength for a couple of games this year. Oh well, onto next season.

oline is playing great....goff still sucks.

Agreed. I know the weapons aren't there for Goff, but he is missing wide open guys and doesn't seem to be able to read a defense. I understand taking a shot on him because that would have really accelerated the rebuild if it worked out, but its time to cut our losses.

Agreed. I know the weapons aren't there for Goff, but he is missing wide open guys and doesn't seem to be able to read a defense. I understand taking a shot on him because that would have really accelerated the rebuild if it worked out, but its time to cut our losses.

Trading him is the only way we get ANY cap relief from his extension......and who in the fuck is going to do that? Post June 1 release has a dead cap of $20.5M, but does give us $10.6M in savings in 2022.....but then adds $10M in dead cap to 2023

We're paying him anyway.....he's not keeping us from looking for a new option at QB.

Trading him is the only way we get ANY cap relief from his extension......and who in the fuck is going to do that? Post June 1 release has a dead cap of $20.5M, but does give us $10.6M in savings in 2022.....but then adds $10M in dead cap to 2023

We're paying him anyway.....he's not keeping us from looking for a new option at QB.

I guess I didn't word that very well. What I mean by cut our losses is we need to find a different option this off-season. I understand with the committment we have to him that he may need to be on the roster in 2022.

Although if we can't trade him and he isn't worth keeping cutting him would only net us 650k against the cap in 2022, but all that dead money would be gone by 2023 and we would not have to pay his almost 11mil base salary in 2022 as well as his non guaranteed roster bonuses of 5mil in 2023 and 5mil in 2024. I would be fine with that and drafting someone and bringing in a cheap vet like Tyrod Taylor/Fitzpatrick/Brigewater/Cam Newton.

I?d like to see them get as much dead money out of the way as soon as possible.

Goff has a $31.15MM cap hit next year, $30.5MM in dead money if they cut him pre June 1.

I think freeing up that 650K might be worth it at this point lol, just roll Blough or Boyle out there, not much drop off (if at all).

Goff has a $31.15MM cap hit next year, $30.5MM in dead money if they cut him pre June 1.

I think freeing up that 650K might be worth it at this point lol, just roll Blough or Boyle out there, not much drop off (if at all).

I would agree honestly. We got all the dead money off the books plus don't have to commit to his almost 11mil base salary in 2021. So if we can sign a replacement for under 10mil we are better off in the long run, and the guys I mentioned would cost maybe half that.

this is why I thought that management screwed up by re-working Goff's contract

this is why I thought that management screwed up by re-working Goff's contract

They had to. There was nobody else to pull money from. We barely spent any of that money we free'd up going into the season. Yet with all our injuries we have needed that money just to field a team.

They had to. There was nobody else to pull money from. We barely spent any of that money we free'd up going into the season. Yet with all our injuries we have needed that money just to field a team.

so...maybe they shouldn't traded Matt to LA when there were other offers/teams interested.

so...maybe they shouldn't traded Matt to LA when there were other offers/teams interested.

The two 1sts and 3rd was the best offer and Goff to feed to the wolves

They can trade him and have some cap savings if someone takes on the roster bonus but they won't do that.

What I think should happen is they just demand Goff takes a straight pay cut. 10 million salary to 1 million salary. He still gets his 15 million roster bonus that nobody will trade for. 16 million for him still and Lions lower his cap hit by 9 million

I will be shocked if he plays next year on the Lions with a 31 million cap hit.

With Rams trade, we get two extra 1sts. One to use on a QB. So Lions still have their two firsts and one extra 1st and Ife from the deal

Panthers trade even with Bridgewater. Still need a QB, so we would use this draft on one. So yeah we would have Sewell and (Parsons or Devonta Smith or Fields), 2022 Lions first and just one 2023 1st and no Ife. Sewell and Fields (who looks awful) and normal Lions picks, no Ife or Sewell/Devonta Smith, rookie QB 2022 that we use maybe pick 1 on, Lions 2023 only and no Ife. Those 2 scenarios stink unless they took Parsons and its still not as good.

Rams trade we have Sewell, Thibodeaux , rookie QB 2022 with Rams pick, Lions 1st in 2023, Rams 1st 2023 and Ife. That 1st extra pick and maybe Ife is key for a rebuild as Lions can use both their top 5 picks in 2022 and maybe 2023 on non QB talent.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that they needed to restructure Goff just to sign the incoming rookie class.

In hindsight maybe they should?ve looked at another deal. I still like the extra pick, but it?s a heavy cost right now. Goff has also been worse than I think most people expected.

We?ll see if that extra day one pick works out, if Holmes can?t draft than it doesn?t really matter which deal they took.

The two 1sts and 3rd was the best offer and Goff to feed to the wolves

They can trade him and have some cap savings if someone takes on the roster bonus but they won't do that.

What I think should happen is they just demand Goff takes a straight pay cut. 10 million salary to 1 million salary. He still gets his 15 million roster bonus that nobody will trade for. 16 million for him still and Lions lower his cap hit by 9 million

I will be shocked if he plays next year on the Lions with a 31 million cap hit.

With Rams trade, we get two extra 1sts. One to use on a QB. So Lions still have their two firsts and one extra 1st and Ife from the deal

Panthers trade even with Bridgewater. Still need a QB, so we would use this draft on one. So yeah we would have Sewell and (Parsons or Devonta Smith or Fields), 2022 Lions first and just one 2023 1st and no Ife. Sewell and Fields (who looks awful) and normal Lions picks, no Ife or Sewell/Devonta Smith, rookie QB 2022 that we use maybe pick 1 on, Lions 2023 only and no Ife. Those 2 scenarios stink unless they took Parsons and its still not as good.

Rams trade we have Sewell, Thibodeaux , rookie QB 2022 with Rams pick, Lions 1st in 2023, Rams 1st 2023 and Ife. That 1st extra pick and maybe Ife is key for a rebuild as Lions can use both their top 5 picks in 2022 and maybe 2023 on non QB talent.

you are fixated on the Rams and Panthers. What about the 49ers...or other teams? It seems like the GM took the first offer that was presented by his former team. He should have known that Goff sucks...he saw it first hand.

I remember reading somewhere that they needed to restructure Goff just to sign the incoming rookie class.

In hindsight maybe they should?ve looked at another deal. I still like the extra pick, but it?s a heavy cost right now. Goff has also been worse than I think most people expected.

We?ll see if that extra day one pick works out, if Holmes can?t draft than it doesn?t really matter which deal they took.

Goff's cap hit is only 10 million now from restructure. I think rather have the extra 1st and little less cap space in 2022 (we still have PLENTY). It might not be that much less if he takes that pay cut in 2022 for 9 million more in savings. We'll see how they handle his contract in 2022 I guess.

They took a shot on Goff. Thought maybe they could fix him, and if it worked we would be competing by 2022. That clearly isn't the case so it was a bad gamble for Holmes. Every team makes high risk/high reward moves and they don't always pan out.

They took a shot on Goff. Thought maybe they could fix him, and if it worked we would be competing by 2022. That clearly isn't the case so it was a bad gamble for Holmes. Every team makes high risk/high reward moves and they don't always pan out.

I don?t even view it as much of a gamble. The difference between the deals probably results in 7-27 vs 12-22 between 2021 and 2022, which is fairly meaningless (will result in better picks anyway).

I think Goff has not been good. At times, hes been above average....but at times he goes through his progressions like a scared rookie coming from a small college.

That said. We might have the single worst collection of WR that a pro team has ever assembled. Certainly in the 21st century. It's really hard to get a true look at how good he is or isn't when our WR are being blanketed by average CB's.

I'm not giving him a pass.....but holy shit.....our WR are terrible. The rams put Ramsey on Hock for fucks sake. When's the last time you've seen that?? How often did Revis cover Tony Gonzalez? Or Dallas Clark? Or Deion Cover Shannon Sharp?? That's how little teams respect our WR corp.

I think Goff has not been good. At times, hes been above average....but at times he goes through his progressions like a scared rookie coming from a small college.

That said. We might have the single worst collection of WR that a pro team has ever assembled. Certainly in the 21st century. It's really hard to get a true look at how good he is or isn't when our WR are being blanketed by average CB's.

I'm not giving him a pass.....but holy shit.....our WR are terrible. The rams put Ramsey on Hock for fucks sake. When's the last time you've seen that?? How often did Revis cover Tony Gonzalez? Or Dallas Clark? Or Deion Cover Shannon Sharp?? That's how little teams respect our WR corp.

It?s certainly been a different way to watch football with this team, it?s like watching live tryouts every Sunday.

Kalif will probably make some more money after this season, a chance he wouldn?t have anywhere else.

BTW, I like how this an Evan Brown thread and he hasn?t been mentioned beyond the first post lol.

Last edited:
Back