Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Football Departures

thewolverines24

Quite a bit of action going on with guys declaring for the draft and hitting the portal, so here's a summary so far.

DE Aidan Hutchinson - Draft. Obvious.
DE David Ojabo - Draft. Obvious.
DT Chris Hinton - Draft. Did not see this one coming.
WR Daylen Baldwin - Draft. Not sure there's much playing time next season.
LB Anthony Solomon - Portal
CB Andre Seldon - Portal
CB George Johnson III - Portal
CB Darion Green-Warren - Portal
QB Dan Villari - Portal

DL Coach Shaun Nua - Leaving for same job at USC. This one stings a bit. Really good recruiter and this past year was his best year of player development. Hinton, Smith, Jeter, and Welschof all really improved.

That's not too bad. I don't think we lose a lot to graduation either, right? this was a fairly young team.

although I guess losing almost the entire DL, and their position coach could be an issue, especially since one (1) guy we're losing was able to single handedly disrupt most of our opponents' passing games...

Losing the line coach really hurts. Is he taking more money or is it the weather lol ?

I have a gut feeling Jim is headed back to the NFL.

He just learned the bag men have a lot more cash for the top teams in the SEC.
we are light years away from ever winning a national championship again sadly.

Losing the line coach really hurts. Is he taking more money or is it the weather lol ?

I have a gut feeling Jim is headed back to the NFL.

He just learned the bag men have a lot more cash for the top teams in the SEC.
we are light years away from ever winning a national championship again sadly.

NIL should help us get close, but there's some rumblings out there that Jim is not happy with how the athletic department is approaching NIL. All hearsay, but not allowing players to use the block M on anything is pretty stupid. Just make sure it's not offensive and let them rep the school while they make some money. The stuff I've seen is that Jim wants a comprehensive program for NIL.

Jim is not dumb. He knows he's competing against bagmen for the best recruits. NIL is the best weapon to battle it because we know we aren't going to create a contingency of Michigan bagmen. Athletic department needs to get on board with Jim and take full advantage of NIL. No reason to end up 5-10 years behind the curve.

Director of scouting Jerrett McElwain is leaving for the same position at Washington.

On the NIL, it's John U. Bacon and Todd Anson (Harbaugh's close friend/confidant) bringing up the issue that Michigan doesn't have an official NIL program (ridiculous). Harbaugh wants to create one that is top five in the country.

On the NIL, it's John U. Bacon and Todd Anson (Harbaugh's close friend/confidant) bringing up the issue that Michigan doesn't have an official NIL program (ridiculous). Harbaugh wants to create one that is top five in the country.

good. We need that.

They probably already have staff that can do it, but you need an attorney, or experienced paralegal to review players' content for IP issues and any embarassing/inappropriate content, and maybe an admin to handle any day-to-day managing of tracking their deals for compliance issues. Let them use the logo in exchange for agreeing to allow the department to vet any advertising content it appears in.

I assume they already have some social media training for these kids... add a component on marketing/contracting, and tell them they need to hire their own attorneys to do deals. But keep track of everything that happens to avoid any surprises.

Then let them do whatever they want.

NIL should help us get close, but there's some rumblings out there that Jim is not happy with how the athletic department is approaching NIL. All hearsay, but not allowing players to use the block M on anything is pretty stupid. Just make sure it's not offensive and let them rep the school while they make some money. The stuff I've seen is that Jim wants a comprehensive program for NIL.

Jim is not dumb. He knows he's competing against bagmen for the best recruits. NIL is the best weapon to battle it because we know we aren't going to create a contingency of Michigan bagmen. Athletic department needs to get on board with Jim and take full advantage of NIL. No reason to end up 5-10 years behind the curve.

I agree with you.

It?s embarrassing Michigan can?t get it together to do NIL right.

They're not doing it all wrong considering Will Johnson just signed a million dollar deal for water or something. That said, I know OSU allows their players to use their logo and Michigan should as well. I never would have expected Jim's name to be out there for NFL this year and I certainly hope the administration and AD are working with the programs ona more comprehensive approach to NIL. It sounds like it already cost Michigan several high-end recruits this year and until it's fixed that will continue.

As far as the losses are concerned, as long as we don't see players who are contributors hitting the portal I'm not that worried. Losing guys early to the NFL sucks but that's not a bad thing long term tbh. Top 100 recruits need to see you putting guys in the draft to consider you, especially with their track record with guys like DPJ going from 9th overall recruit to 6th round (and to Cleveland for that matter).

Last edited:
Harbaugh's not going to leave for the NFL because we haven't worked out an NIL program less than a year after the Supreme Court ruled teh NCAA's rule was unconstitutional...

you guys sound like MSU fans

Harbaugh's not going to leave for the NFL because we haven't worked out an NIL program less than a year after the Supreme Court ruled teh NCAA's rule was unconstitutional...

I don't think he's going anywhere. I do think he's fake flirting with the NFL to force the athletic department to create an official NIL program. Smart on his part. He's ultra competitive and there's no way he wants to get left in the dust with NIL.

Well I hope you are right that he stays but nothing wrong with discussing it.

That?s funny.

I?ll bet there isn?t a single game thread going back four years where you haven?t made a post about firing Harbaugh.

Really so what ? Is there really that many threads that I said I wanted him fired ?
Ok whatever.

1-5 against Osu and 3-4 against Msu are still bad T. It did take Jim years to realize Don Browns defense wasn?t going to stop Osu and or his staff wasn?t making adjustments as fast as some other clubs.

It?s not like he didn?t underperform when it mattered until last season T so who cares what anyone talks about. For the stability of the program I guess I hope he still stays but it?s not like any of us would be happy with another 1-6 and 3-4 mark against those teams listed above. I?m still not sold on Jim being able to keep this up. Prove me wrong and do it again and again like osu. Why is it unreasonable with all the resources Michigan has that we can?t complete with those SEC bag men ? Hell the Supreme Court just made it easy to pay ncaa players. Why is Michigan falling behind on this new way to pay players ? Heck maybe Jim wants the university to be better at this also we just don?t know. I hope so.

You know what a saw in the semifinals besides a team with way more talent. I team better prepared to play with a way better game plan then Michigan had. We have enough athletes to keep up with Georgia. Maybe not win but at least compete. Man I was so disappointed with how we were just pushed around like a rag muffin.

Last edited:
I am starting to think the "Harbaugh to the NFL" rumors may have some legs. It has been all over sports talk radio and sports websites. If there were no truth to some of the rumors, wouldn't you think JH would want to squash them ASAP?

Back