Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Football Schedule

They are not air tight.

masks aren't either, but they are being worn as an extra precaution. Restaurant servers are allowed to wear clear face shields in place of a mask. I would think that full helmet face shields would be a good idea.

masks aren't either, but they are being worn as an extra precaution. Restaurant servers are allowed to wear clear face shields in place of a mask. I would think that full helmet face shields would be a good idea.

That will aid on-field communication and audibles by leaps and bounds.

I think I saw a tweet from a player that said they tried a new full face shield built into a helmet and he couldn't see playing in it. Not enough air flow.

It's been around for months. I think that's what they are talking about now, people that are sick for months. There's also speculation based on (I think) observed damage to lung tissue that could be an issue later.

Not just lungs. They are finding the virus can cause long term, maybe permanent, damage to your heart, brain, and kidneys as well.

That will aid on-field communication and audibles by leaps and bounds.

I'm sure they would be able to figure out communication. Even with a mask, it's got to be easier than trying to communicate in front of 100K screaming fans

How would a face shield really help? The main benefits of wearing a mask are to others. I'd be curious to see how much (or how little) a face shield contains when someone yells, sneezes, or coughs.

How would a face shield really help? The main benefits of wearing a mask are to others. I'd be curious to see how much (or how little) a face shield contains when someone yells, sneezes, or coughs.

did a quick google search and this was the first article that came up. https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/shields-compared-to-masks.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continues to recommend wearing ?cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.? But some health experts say shields appear to be very effective at preventing infection ? maybe even more effective than masks ? for someone going about regular daily activities and not in a high-risk health care setting.

Amesh Adalja, M.D., a pandemic preparedness expert at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, says, ?There's a lot of at least biological possibility to suspect that [shields] are definitely better than homemade face masks, and maybe even better than other types of masks as well, because they not only prevent you from spreading it ? [and] because it also covers your eyes, it provides more protection to the mucus membranes of your face where you might be getting infected.?

did a quick google search and this was the first article that came up. https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/shields-compared-to-masks.html

Amesh Adalja, M.D., a pandemic preparedness expert at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, says, ?There's a lot of at least biological possibility to suspect that [shields] are definitely better than homemade face masks, and maybe even better than other types of masks as well, because they not only prevent you from spreading it ? [and] because it also covers your eyes, it provides more protection to the mucus membranes of your face where you might be getting infected.?
"a lot of at least biological possibility" is a weird lead in to "better than"

"a lot of at least biological possibility" is a weird lead in to "better than"
It sounds like a person that knows a lot about the issue, enough to not be confident at all about their best guess. If they only knew 1% of what they know they could make recommendations with far more confidence.

It sounds like a person that knows a lot about the issue, enough to not be confident at all about their best guess. If they only knew 1% of what they know they could make recommendations with far more confidence.

I should've included the "definitely" before "better than." Trying to give yourself as much wiggle room as possible, while also feeling pressured to give some certainty with "definitely" ... his mind must've been doing somersaults in his head when he came up with that.

Shit. So...

"There's a lot of at least biological possibility to suspect" is a weird lead in to "definitely better than" ...

Back