Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 16: Lions @ Seahawks Thread

Another lesson for DC on completely killing all of your teams momentum and giving it all to the opposing team at the start of the game by not getting points.

Problem is he doesn't learn...

I have been really impressed with St Brown. He has star potential. The way he runs routes and catches the ball reminds me of a slightly smaller Devante Adams.

So, who do you pair with him? This is a pretty good article that focuses in on the top WR prospects and their strengths.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-coll...state-garrett-wilson-alabama-jameson-williams

I think Wilson and Williams will be long gone by the time the Lions make their 2nd pick. I think I would take Olave with the Rams pick if he's there. I like Burks too but I think he's more of a slot wr...but either would work.

Then add some kind of burner just as a threat, and I think you would have something really good in the passing game...oh, and a QB ;)

Same. He's a mini Golden tate. Slow start but he's become what I thought he could in this offense.

After the bowl games I think our best option is trade down to 5-9 and target Jameson Williams.

Another lesson for DC on completely killing all of your teams momentum and giving it all to the opposing team at the start of the game by not getting points.

Problem is he doesn't learn...

4th and less then one in that position you 100% go for it. If you are down by 2 scores in the 4th with 5 minutes left, you take the points to make it a 1 score game. No problem with that call at all, in fact I loved it.

I don't see how they're headed in the right direction. They won 2 lousy games. They just gave up 50 points. There are more things that say they're going backwards, than forward.

Did you not take notice of who we trotted out on the field on defense? It was embarrassing on defense for sure, but we are playing back-ups throughout every level of that defense.

Not sure how you can look at the overall body of work this season and not say they are moving in the right direction. Does 2 wins or 6 wins make that big a difference? If Tucker doesn't make the longest FG in NFL history we win that game. If Goff was healthy we likely beat both the Browns and Falcons. If Seibert wasn't hurt he likely makes the extra point or game winning FG agaisnt Pittsburgh. If those outcomes changed and we were 6-9-1 right now would you feel different? I personally wouldn't because I know how close we were despite all the issues we have dealt with. I would rather have the better draft position then those meaningless wins.

Probably best we find out JRM and Barnes have issues and what McNeil, Julian Okwara and Levi need to work on. And give Ife experience even if he gets beat in meaningless game. And know Charles Harris sucks against run and coverage so lowers his resign number

Gonna be interesting offseason

Lets see how the Eagles, Packers and Seattle games are next year when Lions have more talent. Those were the beat downs

4th and less then one in that position you 100% go for it. If you are down by 2 scores in the 4th with 5 minutes left, you take the points to make it a 1 score game. No problem with that call at all, in fact I loved it.

Campbell is ranked #1 in analytically correct 4th down decisions.

Now, his play calling on those decisions can certainly be argued, but he seems to be making the right decisions according to the data.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...l-analytically-correct-fourth-down-decisioons

I don't see how they're headed in the right direction. They won 2 lousy games. They just gave up 50 points. There are more things that say they're going backwards, than forward.

Honest question....do you watch the games?

Just trying to see what you're basing your point of view on.

Probably best we find out JRM and Barnes have issues and what McNeil, Julian Okwara and Levi need to work on. And give Ife experience even if he gets beat in meaningless game. And know Charles Harris sucks against run and coverage so lowers his resign number

Gonna be interesting offseason

Lets see how the Eagles, Packers and Seattle games are next year when Lions have more talent. Those were the beat downs

https://thedenforum.com/uploads/db3957/original/3X/9/a/9a9f6bc6c2fb8165fe831e312974389458946afa.jpeg

I found this stat interesting on Harris. According to this Harris has the 6th best run stop % in the league for an edge defender.

i watched the game. I thought they looked like an absolute mess vs a shitty team.

On Defense they did. They also played on the road in one of the toughest place to play with a defense littered with back-ups and practice squaders. This is how I expected the defense to look in most game, especially the second half of the season.

Penny is finally showing his talent
Wilson getting healthier and didnt need to do much protrctred and against backup secondary
Metcalf and Lockett are good. Everett solid

Lets see how we play them next year. If Wilson even there

come on everyone...it's just a huge coincidence that Wilson, Metcalf, and Penny had their best games of the year vs. the Lions D

come on everyone...it's just a huge coincidence that Wilson, Metcalf, and Penny had their best games of the year vs. the Lions D

Lions backup d and backup qb if you are into qb controls how d plays

Honest question....do you watch the games?

Just trying to see what you're basing your point of view on.

Based it on they ran right through us. And we couldn't make a play vs Wilson. So we had guys out that's why you build depth. Why don't we ever have a game like that when other teams are missing players.

Based it on they ran right through us. And we couldn't make a play vs Wilson. So we had guys out that's why you build depth. Why don't we ever have a game like that when other teams are missing players.

This is year one ina rebuild where we completely blew the team up, and had very little cap space to work with in a year the cap dropped significantly. We were also down our top 3 CB's, top LB'er, both our best edge rushers, and our top DE. Thats not to mention that we had a very weak defense even before all that.

Is it a surprise that we got lit up?

This is year one ina rebuild where we completely blew the team up, and had very little cap space to work with in a year the cap dropped significantly. We were also down our top 3 CB's, top LB'er, both our best edge rushers, and our top DE. Thats not to mention that we had a very weak defense even before all that.

The simple answer is yes. Weve played under those same conditions you mentioned all year. ...weve only been blown out once. So yes, i was surprised we got smashed by a shitty team like the Seahawks.

They lost Bobby Wagner, their back up LB comes in and destroys us. Our back up Lbs are making tackles 12 yards down the field.

Be honest we're always in a rebuild. And what did we blow up? We traded QB's that's it. Getting beaten thoroughly is different than a 51 point game. The 0-16 team, maybe the worse in history, never gave up 50 points.

Ok. I'll go at it this way....

I think this team is headed in the right direction for 3 reasons.

1. They have out performed their talent. Yes, a 2-13-1 team. This roster has 0-17 written all over it and yet here they are....in games they shouldn't be, against teams with a LOT more talent on the field. That says to me that they are well prepared for these games.

2. They have gotten better as the year has progressed. That means guys are learning and buying into the system being put in front of them. Goff is a great example. TERRIBLE the first 1/2 of the year. Just awful. But he has been above average since then. Not every throw or every decision.....but his game has elevated. To me, that means guys are buying in to what the coaches are telling/teaching them.

3. Individual players playing above their heads and having success. There seem to be quite a few with this team....which is VERY unusual for the Lions. Oruwariye, Jacobs, JRM, Harris, Brown, Reynolds, Reynolds.....this team is DEVELOPING talent. Are any of those guys superstars.....probably not....but they are becoming good players in this league and most importantly......all of them are CHEAP. Good teams develop their young talent and get them to fill a role. I haven't seen this kind of player development from a Lions team since the late 80's and early 90's drafts.

This is year one of a rebuild. They spent most of the off season shedding big contracts and players that currently didn't fit the system. It was the right way to start. The Lions basically have one year left of Goff and then he is fairly easy to part ways with. We have good draft capital AND cap space in the next 2 off seasons with a decent core of young players that will be around to contribute. Aman-Ra, Swift, AO, Walker, Okudah (maybe) Jacobs, JRM. McNeil has played a lot better lately. Levi and Barnes have sucked. Hopefully they will have the LKP 2nd year shot to superstardom. Maybe not.

I like where they are at right now. A good off season coupled with some good luck in the health department next year could lead to a very solid football team.

We average 18 points a game. They give up over 28. Sure there might be some players you like (I have some I like as well) but it doesn't equate to wins. We're a long way off from winning playoff games. Not just one or two players more like 12-13. With Stafford, apparently the best of the best, only made playoffs 3 times. 30 freakin' years since we won a playoff game.

On a side note: Swift and Jeff Okudah seem like injury busts.

I wouldn't say they out performed their talent, they won 2 games. Offensively: They have one of the better OL in the game, an average QB with plenty of experience, above average group of running backs, and a TE that many think is top 10 (not me). Personally, I think most of the recent "success" has to do with a few things. Adding Reynolds and having St Brown become the focal point of the passing game over the past 7-8 games has helped Goff and the passing game.

It's hard to say that they have over achieved on defense. They are 28th in yards allowed and 30th in points allowed.

Back