Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 16: Lions @ Seahawks Thread

I wouldn't say they out performed their talent, they won 2 games. Offensively: They have one of the better OL in the game, an average QB with plenty of experience, above average group of running backs, and a TE that many think is top 10 (not me). Personally, I think most of the recent "success" has to do with a few things. Adding Reynolds and having St Brown become the focal point of the passing game over the past 7-8 games has helped Goff and the passing game.

It's hard to say that they have over achieved on defense. They are 28th in yards allowed and 30th in points allowed.

Agree with most of this. Id say Reynolds (RB) having a couple solid games isnt a real difference maker. You plug Williams or Swift in those games and they are having similar numbers....its just a matter of who you want to give the ball to. Thats the product of having a good Oline...it really can be anyone which gives you some flexibility if you need to shed contracts or get draft capitol via trade.

Overall though id agree...the offense developed nicely. Goff improved. St Brown improved. Reynolds (WR) was a great addition and should be kept as a quality 3rd option on the outside. Hes the new Marvin imo.

Defense sucked before the year started. Sucked when our starters were playing. And still sucks now that our back ups are playing. Injuries are not an excuse here.

-Putting Anazlone into the line up in no way helps this team lol.
-Does Brockers really make more plys than Nick Williams?...nope
-Amani makes some game changing plays....but Ife had better coverage than Amani has ever had....Ife just doesnt ever see the ball.

The only argument i could see about injuries really impacting this defense is Okwara and his sacks....but Harris has stepped up and put up similar numbers so its not a real good argument. Regardless its a position that needs to be upgraded....your edge rusher needs to be a consistent double digit sack guy.

Offense is close an needs a true #1 WR.

Defense is no where close.
Dline is garbage...they can all go. Honestly wouldnt care if they all got cut.
LBs are all garbage.
CB we have a lot of them...none of them are great. They probably leave that group alone going into next season and roll with Amani, Okudah, Ife, Jacobs as the 4 main guys.
S they need to replace Harris.

Agree with most of this. Id say Reynolds (RB) having a couple solid games isnt a real difference maker. You plug Williams or Swift in those games and they are having similar numbers....its just a matter of who you want to give the ball to. Thats the product of having a good Oline...it really can be anyone which gives you some flexibility if you need to shed contracts or get draft capitol via trade.

Overall though id agree...the offense developed nicely. Goff improved. St Brown improved. Reynolds (WR) was a great addition and should be kept as a quality 3rd option on the outside. Hes the new Marvin imo.

Defense sucked before the year started. Sucked when our starters were playing. And still sucks now that our back ups are playing. Injuries are not an excuse here.

-Amani makes some game changing plays....but Ife had better coverage than Amani has ever had....Ife just doesnt ever see the ball.

The only argument i could see about injuries really impacting this defense is Okwara and his sacks....but Harris has stepped up and put up similar numbers so its not a real good argument. Regardless its a position that needs to be upgraded....your edge rusher needs to be a consistent double digit sack guy.

LBs are all garbage.
CB we have a lot of them...none of them are great. They probably leave that group alone going into next season and roll with Amani, Okudah, Ife, Jacobs as the 4 main guys.

I don't know if St Brown improved or just got his feet wet / got more involved in the offense. I do think he's going to be a really good player.

Be honest we're always in a rebuild. And what did we blow up? We traded QB's that's it. Getting beaten thoroughly is different than a 51 point game. The 0-16 team, maybe the worse in history, never gave up 50 points.

Off the top of my head we lose Stafford, Golladay, Marvin Jones, Amendola, Justin Coleman, Desmond Trufant, Jamie Collins, Jesse James, and I'm sure I'm missing a couple. Those keys were either key conributors or had to be cut and we incurred a significant amount of dead money, or both. We have also lost what was probably our 4 best defenders going into the season in okudah, Romeo, Flowers, and Collins. We were down Amani, Brockers, Jacobs, and Anzalone who were all ket contributors this year.

Glenn has kept this defense playing hard most of the year. Games that I thought we would get throttled we didn't. The defense being held together with duct tape and glue finally gave way. Don't underestimate the importance of having guys like Anzalone, Brockers, and Amani of the field as those guys are some of our most experienced players. Even guys who have been in this league awhile like Marlowe, Williams, and JRM don't have a ton of regular season snaps in their careers. This was a very inexperienced defense with no true leader on the field and it got exposed.

LBs are all garbage.

I have to disagree with you on many of these points on defense. On offense we are both on the same page. They started slow, but improved as the season went on, and epecially after Campbell took over play calling. They can add some depth on the O-Line, a #2 TE, but what they really need is a true #1 guy. Offense is close to being a solid unit if Goff can play like he has played recently.

On defense they do need a lot of help, but you are de-valuing some of what we have as well as what we lost. Romeo was an excellent pass rusher in 2020 and was having a very good start to the year and would rank in the top 20 in PFF pass rush grade with a 79.7. Harris has played well, but having both of them this year would have definitely elevated this pass rush. Amani was around the ball all year, but his coverage had dramatically improved in the 2nd half of the season. He was playing like a legitimate #1 CB prior to getting hurt and was a huge loss. You truly dont know what guys like Anzalone and Brockers mean to this team. Both guys are vets on a defense feel on inexperience. Their play on the field is only part of what they bring to this team. Brockers has not been a force on the field, but is he taking care of what he is supposed to in this defense and keeping the young D-Lineman where they need to be? Anzalone made sure everyone knew the call and their responsibilities on the play.

Hell we lost our #1 CB halway into the first game of the season. I think we have a very solid group of CB's heading into 2020. I like McNeil at NT and Penisini backing him up. I think Walker is a solid start if we can retain him. I think Brockers is good enough to start at DE for us. What we need is at least one ILB, a stud safety, a dominant pass rusher, and a DE who can set an edge in the run game.

How would you rank this projected offense in 2022?

A - Top 5 Offense
B - Top 6-12 Offense
C - Top 13-21 Offense
D - Bottom 22-27 Offense
E - Bottom 5 offense

QB Jared Goff, Tim Boyle, Desmond Ridder (or other mid round rookie)

RB D?Andre Swift, Jamaal Williams, Craig Reynolds, Jermar Jefferson

FB Jason Cabinda

WR Drake London, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Josh Reynolds, James Washington, Quintez Cephus, Kalif Raymond,

TE T.J. Hockenson, Mo-Alie Cox, Brock Wright/Hunter Bryant/Draft Pick

LT Taylor Decker, Draft Pick

LG Jonah Jackson, Tommy Kraemar

C Frank Ragnow, Evan Brown

RG Halapoulivaati Vatai

RT Penei Sewell, Matt Nelson

How would you tank this projected defense in 2022?

A - Top 5 Defense
B - Top 6-12 Defense
C - Top 13-21 Defense
D - Bottom 22-27 Defense
F - Bottom 5 Defense

LE Michael Brockers, Levi Onwuzurike

NT Alim McNeil, John Penisini

RE Folorunso Fatukasi, B.J. Hill

LOLB Aidan Hutchinson, Julians Okwara, Austin Bryant

LILB Jalen Reeves Mabin, Derrick Barnes

RILB Devin Lloyd, Alex Anzalone

ROLB Romeo Okwara, Charles Harris

LCB Jeffrey Okudah, Casey Hayward, Ifeatu Melifonwu

FS Marcus Williams, Justin Reid

SS Tracy Walker, Jordan Battle, Will Harris

RCB Amani Oruwariye, Jerry Jacobs, A.J. Parker

We would make one big splash in FA with Marcus Williams. The rest of the guys are mid tier guys at best, for example Fatukasi would likely bring is something similar to what Poona For got with Seattle which was 2 years 12mil. I don?t think Walker gets anywhere near what I initially thought after his shaky 2nd half to the season. Obviously the names might change, but this is about how I see them attacking our needs this off-season.

To me that is an offense who may not rank in the top 10 in yards because if is a ball control offense who work the short to intermediate passing game, but would be very efficient and a borderline top 10 overall offense.

The defense would be much improved. IMO they would be a middle of the pack defense, with room for improvement based on how fast the young guys develop. What it would be sorely missing more then anything is a dominant D-Lineman in the mold of a Cam Jordan, but it is going to take time to build this defense.

Off the top of my head we lose Stafford, Golladay, Marvin Jones, Amendola, Justin Coleman, Desmond Trufant, Jamie Collins, Jesse James, and I'm sure I'm missing a couple. Those keys were either key conributors or had to be cut and we incurred a significant amount of dead money, or both. We have also lost what was probably our 4 best defenders going into the season in okudah, Romeo, Flowers, and Collins. We were down Amani, Brockers, Jacobs, and Anzalone who were all ket contributors this year.

Glenn has kept this defense playing hard most of the year. Games that I thought we would get throttled we didn't. The defense being held together with duct tape and glue finally gave way. Don't underestimate the importance of having guys like Anzalone, Brockers, and Amani of the field as those guys are some of our most experienced players. Even guys who have been in this league awhile like Marlowe, Williams, and JRM don't have a ton of regular season snaps in their careers. This was a very inexperienced defense with no true leader on the field and it got exposed.

Losing free agents or releasing bad players is not blow up. They left on their own accord or sucked and got gone. And I don't think anyone here thought spending the money he got from NY was a good idea for Golladay. Even before the injuries and Covid we sucked.

D or E though bigger chance to get E. Its Detroit, we aren't getting any good free agents.

I have to disagree with you on many of these points on defense. On offense we are both on the same page. They started slow, but improved as the season went on, and epecially after Campbell took over play calling. They can add some depth on the O-Line, a #2 TE, but what they really need is a true #1 guy. Offense is close to being a solid unit if Goff can play like he has played recently.

On defense they do need a lot of help, but you are de-valuing some of what we have as well as what we lost. Romeo was an excellent pass rusher in 2020 and was having a very good start to the year and would rank in the top 20 in PFF pass rush grade with a 79.7. Harris has played well, but having both of them this year would have definitely elevated this pass rush. Amani was around the ball all year, but his coverage had dramatically improved in the 2nd half of the season. He was playing like a legitimate #1 CB prior to getting hurt and was a huge loss. You truly dont know what guys like Anzalone and Brockers mean to this team. Both guys are vets on a defense feel on inexperience. Their play on the field is only part of what they bring to this team. Brockers has not been a force on the field, but is he taking care of what he is supposed to in this defense and keeping the young D-Lineman where they need to be? Anzalone made sure everyone knew the call and their responsibilities on the play.

Hell we lost our #1 CB halway into the first game of the season. I think we have a very solid group of CB's heading into 2020. I like McNeil at NT and Penisini backing him up. I think Walker is a solid start if we can retain him. I think Brockers is good enough to start at DE for us. What we need is at least one ILB, a stud safety, a dominant pass rusher, and a DE who can set an edge in the run game.

Romeo was a 1 year wonder that got a contract then got injured. Hes far from being worth his contract and can just as easily be the next overpaid Flowers as he could be a worthwhile addition to the team. Its literally 50/50.

Amani was the luckiest player in the NFL thru the first half of the year. With QBs mysteriously throwing the ball to him instead of the WR even though his coverage was so bad he was like 10 yards away from his responsibility. Hes improved throughout the year and actually made some GREAT ints...the diving one a couple weeks ago comes to mind. Hes a solid 2 and its great seeing late round picks produce. But he wasnt good for a majority of the year.

Brockers does nothing. He could be good enough to start...but that doesnt make him good. It just means the talent on our team blows. Again, the entire dline could be replaced next year and we wouldnt miss a thing.

Every MLB in the league directs the defense and tells guys their responsibilities...this is not something Anzalone miraculously goes above and beyond in doing. If someone would tell him to cover his guy then maybe he would be good lol.

Lions need to add talent. They will. Early picks, extra picks, comp picks and good cap space

And then those guys have to stay healthy and work their asses off to be good players. Hutchinson or Thibodeaux included

A - Top 5 Offense
B - Top 6-12 Offense
C - Top 13-21 Offense
D - Bottom 22-27 Offense
E - Bottom 5 offense

FB Jason Cabinda

WR Drake London, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Josh Reynolds, James Washington, Quintez Cephus, Kalif Raymond,

RG Halapoulivaati Vatai

A - Top 5 Defense
B - Top 6-12 Defense
C - Top 13-21 Defense
D - Bottom 22-27 Defense
F - Bottom 5 Defense

We would make one big splash in FA with Marcus Williams. The rest of the guys are mid tier guys at best, for example Fatukasi would likely bring is something similar to what Poona For got with Seattle which was 2 years 12mil. I don?t think Walker gets anywhere near what I initially thought after his shaky 2nd half to the season. Obviously the names might change, but this is about how I see them attacking our needs this off-season.

To me that is an offense who may not rank in the top 10 in yards because if is a ball control offense who work the short to intermediate passing game, but would be very efficient and a borderline top 10 overall offense.

The defense would be much improved. IMO they would be a middle of the pack defense, with room for improvement based on how fast the young guys develop. What it would be sorely missing more then anything is a dominant D-Lineman in the mold of a Cam Jordan, but it is going to take time to build this defense.

This would be an A+ off season for me. I Wouldn't change much. That said it will never happen.

Last edited:

A - Top 5 Offense
B - Top 6-12 Offense
C - Top 13-21 Offense
D - Bottom 22-27 Offense
E - Bottom 5 offense

FB Jason Cabinda

RG Halapoulivaati Vatai

A - Top 5 Defense
B - Top 6-12 Defense
C - Top 13-21 Defense
D - Bottom 22-27 Defense
F - Bottom 5 Defense

It's basically the same offense that they have had over the past 8 games. In those games they averaged 19.3 points per game which ranks 24th. Some will argue that Boyle started 3 of those games. They averaged 17.3 points per game with him.

So, I would say D on offense.

As far as Defense, that could be a big improvement...but probably a little far fetched with Loyd and Hutchinson. But if all of those things did happen, probably middle of the pack...16-22

It's basically the same offense that they have had over the past 8 games. In those games they averaged 19.3 points per game which ranks 24th. Some will argue that Boyle started 3 of those games. They averaged 17.3 points per game with him.

So, I would say D on offense.

As far as Defense, that could be a big improvement...but probably a little far fetched with Loyd and Hutchinson. But if all of those things did happen, probably middle of the pack...16-22

Getting Ragnow, Swift, Hockenson, and to a lesser degree Cephus will make a big difference. Also adding a bigger WR who can make plays down the field opens up the underneath for guys like St. Brown, Hockenson and Swift. I also think adding a reliable #2 TE who is a good blocker helps considerably as well.

Plus a whole off-season with whoever is going to be running this offense this year should help as well. To me that offense has a top 5 O-Line, top 12 RB group, top 10 TE group, and middle of the pack WR's. Goff would determine how far that offense would go but if he played like he has in his last 4-5 games, this would be a borderline top 10 offense, IMO. Goff played like a top half of the league QB, probably the 10-14 range, once Campbell took over play calling. That was with a pretty bad supporting cast.

I am not confident he can keep up that play based off what he showed earlier in the season, but he deserves a shot in 2022 with a better supporting cast.

This would be an A+ off season for me. I Wouldn't change much. That said it will never happen.

I think we will attack free agency is a similar fashion to what I have there. The way the draft and FA line up kind of plays that way. I don't think we spend big in FA on a WR anymore with St. Brown stepping up and Reynolds showing good chenistry with Goff. Reynolds can fill the Marvin Jones spot at #2 and St. Brown can produce like a #1, even though he will primarily play the slot. We need a down field difference maker that can either go up and get the ball a la Drake London/Burks, or someone with the speed to scare opposing DB's (Jameson Williams). I think London or Burks will be sitting there in the 2nd and if not Geroge Pickens might not be a bad option either.

I think Marcus Williams is almost a shoe in. I don't see how New Orleans can justify keeping him at this point. Him and Aaron Glenn had a fantastic relationship in New Orleans and a safety like him is maybe our greatest need. I also think there are a few guys who can play DE in FA that are very good run stuffers. I wouldn't rely on a rookie coming in to set the edge and play top notch run defense.

Like I mentioned the players I picked may not be right, but I bet that the positions I filled and where will be pretty close to what happens.

Getting Ragnow, Swift, Hockenson, and to a lesser degree Cephus will make a big difference. Also adding a bigger WR who can make plays down the field opens up the underneath for guys like St. Brown, Hockenson and Swift. I also think adding a reliable #2 TE who is a good blocker helps considerably as well.

Plus a whole off-season with whoever is going to be running this offense this year should help as well. To me that offense has a top 5 O-Line, top 12 RB group, top 10 TE group, and middle of the pack WR's. Goff would determine how far that offense would go but if he played like he has in his last 4-5 games, this would be a borderline top 10 offense, IMO. Goff played like a top half of the league QB, probably the 10-14 range, once Campbell took over play calling. That was with a pretty bad supporting cast.

I am not confident he can keep up that play based off what he showed earlier in the season, but he deserves a shot in 2022 with a better supporting cast.

Ragnow is a really good offensive lineman but probably not going to be a huge difference maker since the OL was pretty good without him. Sorry to tell you, but Hock and Swift are not difference makers. They are above average players...that's it. The WR you want to draft...we don't even know if he can play. He might be a bust.

so, my assessment

Top 10 OL (PFF has them graded at 15 now)
middle of the pack RB
middle of the pack TE
bottom 1/3 WR
bottom 1/3 QB

Ragnow is a really good offensive lineman but probably not going to be a huge difference maker since the OL was pretty good without him. Sorry to tell you, but Hock and Swift are not difference makers. They are above average players...that's it. The WR you want to draft...we don't even know if he can play. He might be a bust.

so, my assessment

Top 10 OL (PFF has them graded at 15 now)
middle of the pack RB
middle of the pack TE
bottom 1/3 WR
bottom 1/3 QB

Guess we will agree to disagree. Ragnow is one of the 1-2 best centers in the NFL and arguably a top 5 interior O-Lineman. He will make a big impact. Sewell has been having one of the best seasons on any tackle in the NFL since he switched over to RT. Decker is having a solid year since coming off injury and PFF currently has him as the 25th best tackle in the NFL. Jonah Jackson is ranked the 30th best guard by PFF and was voted a Pro Bowl alternate. Pro Bowl is usually a joke, but for someone who is not a household name and is on a 2-13-1 team, that means he was voted in by the players and coaches. That says a lot about what people think about him. Vatai is the weak link and even he has played solid this year. Getting Ragnow back and starting the year will all 5 of our guys puts this group in the top 5 easily.

At WR I can see your argument. Depending on a rookie to come in and make a difference is not lock. Even QB I can agree, as Goff needs to show it first.

You are way off on both Swift and Hockenson. Swift is already among the best receiving RB's in the league. That alone has a ton of value. He has also proven to be a solid RB with home run ability. He is also still young and developing. Add in a solid all around back in Williams and that is a very solid 1-2 punch.

Hockenson has definitely disappointed relative to his draft status, but he is still a top 10 and borderline top 5 TE. He made the Pro Bowl last year at TE and had a decent shot this year if he didn't get hurt. Watch the games he was in and you can see defenses constantly bracketing him and some even triple covered him at times (watch the first Minnesota game). He is not good enough to consistently beat a double team and he needs a WR to take some pressure off. Still he is a very good TE.

Depends on Goff and that rookie WR being good right away. Though St Brown playing like this and Reynolds have made huge strides for the offense

Depends on Goff and that rookie WR being good right away. Though St Brown playing like this and Reynolds have made huge strides for the offense

Reynolds is a decent WR...great depth if he isn't starting...a good #3-#4 type guy.

I love Brown. I think he has star potential. He reminds me of a slightly smaller Devante Adams. I don't know if he develops into a top 10 WR but I think he has the potential to produce big numbers.

Lions plays based on 2021 stats
7 top 10 defenses in ppg gb twice, seattle, buf, new england, eagles, dallas
1 average Miami 16th
3 below average with bears twice and carolina
6 bad defense Giants, Vikings twice, Jax, Jets, WFT

Things change but Lions offense has a shot
In 2021 lions faced
6 top 10
4 average
4 below average
3 bad defense

So slighltly easier for 2022 it seems barring changes. Also vikinga and bears could go back to top 10 again to make it real tough

Back