Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 16: Vikings @ Lions Thread

Is Fields and Wilson better than Stafford for 2021 or have a chance to be better than him in the next five years. I don't think either can given the same 2020 Lions situation (no run game, no defense, below average protection). But if Lions fix those things those QBs could be good too. But Stafford would be elite in that situation.

So its a no brainer to keep Stafford over drafting either one of them and use pick 7 on a stud defensive player. The defense needs talent badly and pick 7 is perfect for that.

WR (depending on free agency) and stud tackle would be tempting too but then you are left to nail free agency for defense and day 2 (hasn't worked too well in past but can work maybe with new GM).

Is Fields and Wilson better than Stafford for 2021 or have a chance to be better than him in the next five years. I don't think either can given the same 2020 Lions situation (no run game, no defense, below average protection). But if Lions fix those things those QBs could be good too. But Stafford would be elite in that situation.

So its a no brainer to keep Stafford over drafting either one of them and use pick 7 on a stud defensive player. The defense needs talent badly and pick 7 is perfect for that.

WR (depending on free agency) and stud tackle would be tempting too but then you are left to nail free agency for defense and day 2 (hasn't worked too well in past but can work maybe with new GM).
It doesn't matter. I think 'Hughes said it best no point in having a QB making 25 mill on a team that wins 3-5 games. Weather he's good or bad. Not a direct translation.

You keep stafford, focus on fixing the defense...youre still only winning 3-5 games next year. That schedule is brutal lmao. At that point stafford's trade value is gone with only 1 year left on his deal and you have no back up QB.

I cant imagine a new GM and Sheila Ford sitting in an office talking this realistically. They are talking about rainbows and unicorns and how were going to be championship calibur. So i doubt in year 1 would ANY GM hire look ahead and tell Shiela the truth.

What they should say: "We're going to suck..probably for 2 years. Do you want me to see what we can get for Stafford now...when he has value....or no? We can use these 2 years to groom a new QB."

Fields, Lawrence, Trey Lance, Trask, Book, Wilson...basically anyone not named Mac Jones would drastically HELP our run game.

I think Sheila Hemp Ford will talk about competing for a playoff spots. She won't mention winning in the playoffs or a Super Bowl. Her thinking is very narrow.

Fields, Lawrence, Trey Lance, Trask, Book, Wilson...basically anyone not named Mac Jones would drastically HELP our run game.

Living on QBs runs helps but a dangerous game. And none of them are amazing running. Stafford actually scrambles well but you aren't running RPO with him. Fields and Wilson you can but it's a real gimmick offense for the NFL. They need to be able to throw really well and running is a bonus. We need better run blocking/scheme and a power back to complement Swift.

Pick 7 should be defense. And Stafford is the best QB out of all you listed.

Back