Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 16: Vikings @ Lions Thread

That was one of the more blatant tank jobs... maybe they are in the market for a franchise qb.

I don't know why I even care but it pissed me off to see some shitty QB, that shouldn't even be in the league, take so many quality snaps with playoff implications on the line. Plus he won't even be an Eagle next year or in the league.

Eagles tanking slightly screwed the Lions. If Eagles win, Lions move up to 6th pick. Are the Eagles going to take a QB (unlikely) or pass rusher we want. Same for Round 2 and 3 and 4.

Last edited:
Eagles tanking slightly screwed the Lions. If Eagles win, Lions move up to 6th pick. Are the Eagles going to take a QB (unlikely) or pass rusher we want. Same for Round 2 and 3 and 4.

I honestly did not expect the Lions to move up at all. If they got lucky, 1 pick at most (Thought Houston/Philly had a slim chance).

I honestly did not expect the Lions to move up at all. If they got lucky, 1 pick at most (Thought Houston/Philly had a slim chance).

They both had great chances at winning yesterday. HOu blew it at the end with a very lionesque defensive call with 16 seconds left lol. 1v1 on Brown with no safety help....is bascially what that jets DC did to get fired. Philly tanked. Would have been nice to be top 5 pick....oh well.

They both had great chances at winning yesterday. HOu blew it at the end with a very lionesque defensive call with 16 seconds left lol. 1v1 on Brown with no safety help....is bascially what that jets DC did to get fired. Philly tanked. Would have been nice to be top 5 pick....oh well.

For my personal rooting interest, I wanted them to pass Atlanta because I don't see Houston or Philly drafting a QB.

I'm hoping that the Jets or Atlanta pass up on a QB and leave the door open for the Lions to take Fields/Wilson.

For my personal rooting interest, I wanted them to pass Atlanta because I don't see Houston or Philly drafting a QB.

I'm hoping that the Jets or Atlanta pass up on a QB and leave the door open for the Lions to take Fields/Wilson.

I would put the likelihood that a new GM would trade Matt and draft a QB at 7 is about 5-10%.

What about keeping Stafford and drafting a QB to put behind him?

not with only 5 picks and the mass amount of holes we have on this team. LKP said we are holeless. We are more like and supermassive black hole that just continuously sucks up other black holes and gets larger and larger and larger. We are now the apex of supermassive black holes where players get tricked into stepping into....turn into spaghetti and then disappear forever.

Theres only 2 realistic options. Trade stafford for multiuple picks so you can spend #7 on a qb. Theres very little chance of that actually happening unless you get a very progressive GM in place. I can see most GMs taking the stance of Louis Riddick which is Stafford is just fine...detroit has failed him at putting pieces around him. I can also see SPielman sharing this perspective.

Which means youre at option 2. Keep Stafford and put every asset you can into fixing this defense. Saleh, Picks 1 - 3 at a minimum. Complete overhaul on D.

not with only 5 picks and the mass amount of holes we have on this team. LKP said we are holeless. We are more like and supermassive black hole that just continuously sucks up other black holes and gets larger and larger and larger. We are now the apex of supermassive black holes where players get tricked into stepping into....turn into spaghetti and then disappear forever.

Theres only 2 realistic options. Trade stafford for multiuple picks so you can spend #7 on a qb. Theres very little chance of that actually happening unless you get a very progressive GM in place. I can see most GMs taking the stance of Louis Riddick which is Stafford is just fine...detroit has failed him at putting pieces around him. I can also see SPielman sharing this perspective.

Which means youre at option 2. Keep Stafford and put every asset you can into fixing this defense. Saleh, Picks 1 - 3 at a minimum. Complete overhaul on D.

I agree that most incoming GMs will think the best course of action would be to keep Matt.

Given the massive number of holes and limited draft picks, it would probably be smart to try to trade back from 7 unless there is a absolute stud defensive player sitting there.

What about keeping Stafford and drafting a QB to put behind him?

Fine with it.

If there is a QB they think can be great at #7, you take him. If he sits for a year, that's fine.

If you can get a 1st or second for Stafford fantastic. Plenty of potential spots, Patriots, Broncos, Colts, Bears, Cowboys (If Dak can't go or too expensive)

I still don't think Detroit drafts a QB but if they do I'm glad Fields had a huge day vs Clemson and he will gone before our pick. OSU QB in the NFL stink. For decades.

Last edited:
I still don't think Detroit drafts a QB but if they do I'm glad Fields had a huge day vs Clemson and he will gone before our pick. OSU QB in the NFL stink. For decades.

while that is true, it's true for just about every program. There are typically only about 20 QBs at a time in the NFL that are "quality" quarterbacks. There are MAYBE 2 quarterbacks drafted a year that turn into quality QBs. This is why it isn't very likely that a new GM is going to move on from Matt this year. The more I think about it, the more I think it isn't going to happen unless a team makes an offer he can't refuse. A GM is gambling that he is going to pick a QB that is a quality starter (top 20). The odds of that happening are not very good given the extremely high bust rate at the position.

while that is true, it's true for just about every program. There are typically only about 20 QBs at a time in the NFL that are "quality" quarterbacks. There are MAYBE 2 quarterbacks drafted a year that turn into quality QBs. This is why it isn't very likely that a new GM is going to move on from Matt this year. The more I think about it, the more I think it isn't going to happen unless a team makes an offer he can't refuse. A GM is gambling that he is going to pick a QB that is a quality starter (top 20). The odds of that happening are not very good given the extremely high bust rate at the position.
2 a year but none from OSU. Mike Tomczak, long career but he was terrible. Is he the best?

2 a year but none from OSU. Mike Tomczak, long career but he was terrible. Is he the best?

maybe, him or Kent Graham, which certainly isn't saying much.

Just because nobody has been good certainly doesn't mean someone else can't be good. The only QB that was expected to be good in the NFL (the only first rounder ever taken) is Haskins, and he was taken in the middle of the first.

I have no idea if Justin Fields will be any good in the NFL. But I certainly wouldn't pass on him just because of Haskins. That would be like passing on Brees because nobody from Purdue was a good QB, or Big Ben because nobody from Miami of OH was has good before him...etc. Not a very intelligent way to determine if an individual is a good prospect.

Just because nobody has been good certainly doesn't mean someone else can't be good. The only QB that was expected to be good in the NFL (the only first rounder ever taken) is Haskins, and he was taken in the middle of the first.

I have no idea if Justin Fields will be any good in the NFL. But I certainly wouldn't pass on him just because of Haskins. That would be like passing on Brees because nobody from Purdue was a good QB, or Big Ben because nobody from Miami of OH was has good before him...etc. Not a very intelligent way to determine if an individual is a good prospect.

Bob Griese, Len Dawson, Jim Everett, and even Gary Danielson were “ok.”

Last edited:

It's not because of Haskins. Just like I won't suspect Lions to be any good based on history. When I see it I'll believe it.

i agree with both of you. You shouldnt typically be able to make a blanket statement that no OSU qbs have success in the NFL. Current QB shouldnt have any bearing on past Qbs. However, theres some truth to the fact hes a 1 read QB. And if that does pan out he takes off. So i would call him more of a project than other qbs because of that. Not saying he cant change and learn...but i would say hes further behind other qbs because of OSU's system.

Back