Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 4: Lions @ Bears Thread

i agree...but you have to take into consideration that this is a team completely void of talent. So when you go through a draft process you expect these players to 1) play 2) be impactful.

These 2 DTs see the field a little bit....and NEVER make a play. The only time i EVER hear a DTs name called is Brockers or Williams.

Their were fans (dumb ones) that actually thought drafting (2) DTs was going to fix our pass rush lmao. I was never that stupid....but i thought theyd atleast contribute. They do nothing. McNeil stands up...is too fat to move...and gets blown off the ball. every play!

How you could look at this roster (you pointed out our atrocious secondary) and not address S or WR blows my mind.

Holmes literally wasted an entire draft by "building in the trenches" and didnt fill a single hole.

We already had a LT
We have 2 DTs playing more (and better) than Levi and McNeil.

We play Anzalone and Reeves - Maybin at LB lol
We play Harris at S
We have a bunch of scrubs at CB

An entire draft and theres literally not an upgrade at any of the positions. Thats nearly impossible to do lol....he did it.

Both Levi and Alim showed up against the Vikings yesterday. These guys are young and Levi is coming off a season in which he didn't even play. You are way to quick to judge these guys just because they didn't draft your guy. Honestly, McNeil looks like a future stud and we haven't seen enough of Levi yet to say one way or another.

Both Levi and Alim showed up against the Vikings yesterday. These guys are young and Levi is coming off a season in which he didn't even play. You are way to quick to judge these guys just because they didn't draft your guy. Honestly, McNeil looks like a future stud and we haven't seen enough of Levi yet to say one way or another.

i did see them get more snaps. I saw mcneil chasing behind cousins 5 yards a couple times...not sure how much that helps anything. The most plays being made at athe DT spot continue to be Penisini Williams and Brockers.

Good...actually GREAT for rotational purposes. But im not sure rotational pieces were what this teams needed from rd 2 and 3 picks in last years draft. As injuries are starting to occur were seeing the glaring holes in the secondary and WR corps. Those were always going to be there since they werent addressed.

Alim McNeill, NT: McNeill made his presence know as a pass rusher in this game, ragdolling Vikings offensive linemen several times on his way to pressuring the football. Both he and fellow rookie Levi Onwuzurike had several disruptive plays that should keep their snap counts increasing.

i did see them get more snaps. I saw mcneil chasing behind cousins 5 yards a couple times...not sure how much that helps anything. The most plays being made at athe DT spot continue to be Penisini Williams and Brockers.

Good...actually GREAT for rotational purposes. But im not sure rotational pieces were what this teams needed from rd 2 and 3 picks in last years draft. As injuries are starting to occur were seeing the glaring holes in the secondary and WR corps. Those were always going to be there since they werent addressed.

Maybe I am just taking more of a long term view then you. Even if we took those positions, we would still have holes to fill at DT. We were never going to address many needs we have this year. It just wasn't realistic. I also think DT takes longer to develop and make an impact then a safety or WR. You can draft a WR or safety and expect an instant impact year one. Many times that is the case. DT though is a different story. Sure it happens sometimes, but more often than not they take more time. Just look at Derrick Brown. He was okay as a rookie, but has taken a step forward this year. I would expect by year three he will be a stud.

Going into the draft, position did not matter to me. I had guys I liked just like everyone, but we needed to add talent. Honestly I believe we have, and in a year or two this past draft will go down as a very good draft. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

Maybe I am just taking more of a long term view then you. Even if we took those positions, we would still have holes to fill at DT. We were never going to address many needs we have this year. It just wasn't realistic. I also think DT takes longer to develop and make an impact then a safety or WR. You can draft a WR or safety and expect an instant impact year one. Many times that is the case. DT though is a different story. Sure it happens sometimes, but more often than not they take more time. Just look at Derrick Brown. He was okay as a rookie, but has taken a step forward this year. I would expect by year three he will be a stud.

Going into the draft, position did not matter to me. I had guys I liked just like everyone, but we needed to add talent. Honestly I believe we have, and in a year or two this past draft will go down as a very good draft. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

Hand and Williams FAs next year. McNeil is doing well. Levi is coming along now too. Brockers a 1-2 year stop gap. These guys here for 4 years through 2024 season. NT and 4i should be set and could get good as they grow

FA with cap space and the 2022 draft for a two WRs, two safeties (maybe resign Walker who is playing well), CB (depending on Okudah injury), QB, one LB (replacing Anzalone, JRM decent so far, Barnes growing) and game changing edge (Thibodeaux at pick 1)

Would go Thibodeaux and wait for a QB to drop in Round 1 (Strong, Slovis, Corral, Willis etc). Then still have Round 2 and two Round 3 for WR, CB, S, LB. Plus Free agency can fill 2-3 starters

Hand and Williams FAs next year. McNeil is doing well. Levi is coming along now too. Brockers a 1-2 year stop gap. These guys here for 4 years through 2024 season. NT and 4i should be set and could get good as they grow

FA with cap space and the 2022 draft for a two WRs, two safeties (maybe resign Walker who is playing well), CB (depending on Okudah injury), QB, one LB (replacing Anzalone, JRM decent so far, Barnes growing) and game changing edge (Thibodeaux at pick 1)

Would go Thibodeaux and wait for a QB to drop in Round 1 (Strong, Slovis, Corral, Willis etc). Then still have Round 2 and two Round 3 for WR, CB, S, LB. Plus Free agency can fill 2-3 starters

The thing is, this team is so devoid of talent that year 2 isn't going to fix all the holes either. I would expect between 6-9 wins in year 2. Should be competitive, but still mediocre. We realistically need a starter at guard, potentially two WR's, long term answer at QB, high end pass rusher, one, maybe two ILB'er, maybe two safeties, and 1 CB. That is nine starting roles to fill at a minimum.

I would love to re-sign Walker and sign Marcus Williams as a FA to put safety to rest. That would leave room for maybe 1 more high end signing in FA. I think that should be a WR as we potentially need two and would prefer to have a vet paired with a rookie. Also I think we have enough youth at CB to get in a solid starting vet there as well. That would leave Amani/Okudah competing at the other spots with guys like Parker, Melifonwu, Jacobs, and Price battling to be depth.

That leaves edge rusher, QB, guard, WR, and ILB for the draft. Not realistic to expect to find starting caliber players at all those positions. This scenario also leaves our depth pretty thin at a lot of spots. Point being that there just isn't enough resources to fill all our holes yet and will most likely go into 2022 lacking a QB or high end edge rusher (depending what we pick at the top of round 1), a reliable #1/2 WR (probably be Cephus as #2 and Amon Ra in slot.), and probably have to stick with a combo of Anzalone/Barnes/Reeves Mabin at ILB'er.

Last edited:
Alim McNeill, NT: McNeill made his presence know as a pass rusher in this game, ragdolling Vikings offensive linemen several times on his way to pressuring the football. Both he and fellow rookie Levi Onwuzurike had several disruptive plays that should keep their snap counts increasing.

Id argue running behind Kirk Cousins 5 yards as Cousins rolls out isnt really pressuring anything.

They are all playing outside of Jefferson. Which is a great sign for development and a big change already from previous regimes that would draft players then stash them for years. Theyd never develop and we would continue to suck. I will say its refreshing to see guys we draft play.

The thing is, this team is so devoid of talent that year 2 isn't going to fix all the holes either. I would expect between 6-9 wins in year 2. Should be competitive, but still mediocre. We realistically need a starter at guard, potentially two WR's, long term answer at QB, high end pass rusher, one, maybe two ILB'er, maybe two safeties, and 1 CB. That is nine starting roles to fill at a minimum.

I would love to re-sign Walker and sign Marcus Williams as a FA to put safety to rest. That would leave room for maybe 1 more high end signing in FA. I think that should be a WR as we potentially need two and would prefer to have a vet paired with a rookie. Also I think we have enough youth at CB to get in a solid starting vet there as well. That would leave Amani/Okudah competing at the other spots with guys like Parker, Melifonwu, Jacobs, and Price battling to be depth.

That leaves edge rusher, QB, guard, WR, and ILB for the draft. Not realistic to expect to find starting caliber players at all those positions. This scenario also leaves our depth pretty thin at a lot of spots. Point being that there just isn't enough resources to fill all our holes yet and will most likely go into 2022 lacking a QB or high end edge rusher (depending what we pick at the top of round 1), a reliable #1/2 WR (probably be Cephus as #2 and Amon Ra in slot.), and probably have to stick with a combo of Anzalone/Barnes/Reeves Mabin at ILB'er.

I think im out on drafting QB next year. Im not terribly excited about having Goff. But Holmes is and i think he rides or dies with him....especially next year.

Thibideaux at 1 DE
Treylon Burks WR with Rams pick
Then take your pick of BPA S, LB and CBs.

I think im out on drafting QB next year. Im not terribly excited about having Goff. But Holmes is and i think he rides or dies with him....especially next year.

Thibideaux at 1 DE

I agree with this. Except if a QB drops to the Rams pick that is worth it. Then you could go QB then WR early Round 2

Thibideaux at 1 DE

This team is going to pick very high this year. If there is a QB worth taking I think we have too. You can't count on picking high enough to get a QB in 2023 and if we don't take a guy in 2022 that pushes us ruther away from being competitive as now we have a rookie starting in 2023 instead of a guy going into his second year. Now obviously you don't reach for one just to take one if nobody stands out after this season. If there is a guy who is deemed a franchise guy then you have to take him. I am honestly intrigued by Malik Willis right now. A mobile QB behind what should be a very good O-Line intrigues me quite a bit. Especially when we are already built to run the football.

This team is going to pick very high this year. If there is a QB worth taking I think we have too. You can't count on picking high enough to get a QB in 2023 and if we don't take a guy in 2022 that pushes us ruther away from being competitive as now we have a rookie starting in 2023 instead of a guy going into his second year. Now obviously you don't reach for one just to take one if nobody stands out after this season. If there is a guy who is deemed a franchise guy then you have to take him. I am honestly intrigued by Malik Willis right now. A mobile QB behind what should be a very good O-Line intrigues me quite a bit. Especially when we are already built to run the football.

I need to see more of Corral too. I was 100% out on Rattler before the season started so im glad he got benched and is no longer in consideration.

I agree with this. Except if a QB drops to the Rams pick that is worth it. Then you could go QB then WR early Round 2

the odds of a QB that is worth anything drops to the mid to late 20's are very slim. Any QB prospect that is decent usually goes in the top 10

the odds of a QB that is worth anything drops to the mid to late 20's are very slim. Any QB prospect that is decent usually goes in the top 10

Most likely agree. There are some though. Lamar Jackson pick 32. Russell Wilson Round 3. Got to find them.

I'd take Desmond Ridder from Cinncinnati. Pass first QB that has the ability to run.

I don't have any interest in a "running" quarterback. No thanks. I'll take a guy who can sling it but can run if needed.....like a Russell Wilson.

But I think you're right....we have to take a QB if there is someone they feel is a can't miss prospect.

That being said, we do have multiple picks in 2023 as well if we need to move up then to grab a QB. If we end up with the number 1 overall pick this year and have the chance to move down to the 5 ish range and pick up a REALLY good package of picks....you have to do that. We NEED so much. Need a real #1 WR. Need LB's. Need a DB who can cover.

I've been tough on Goff this year because he simply hasn't been very good......but he's also throwing to the single worst group of WR's I've ever seen a team have and a TE that the opponents are taking away. It's really not very fair to him to judge him on a level playing field as some of the other QB's out there. As much as I want him gone....bringing in 6 or 7 (top 3 round) rookies and a couple of veterans who can help immediately via FA is a better idea....IMO....than just taking a QB because it's what teams do.

Good thing is after the Jaguars finish 0-17 as well they already have their QB.

Did everyone just see Broncos go for it down 10 in red zone on 4th down with 5 min to play. Campbell was right against bears other than rush and play call. Broncos converted and scored. Down 3 now

Back