Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Georgia in the Semis

As long as they remember the blue pants and folding chairs we're a lock. Blue pants, folding chairs... CAN'T LOSE!

Georgia is more like a team that would have won the B1G West division.

Don't get dumb penalties like vs Iowa. Stop with the turnovers (the Hail Mary INT excluded of course as that is what it is).

If the game is tight, usually Special Teams is a deciding factor. We should have the edge there based on the year's stats.

I'm really tired of the excuse for Bama being number 1 is that vs Georgia "they really controlled that game from start to finish".

Please explain why the score was 3-0 Georgia after 1st quarter and later was 10-0. Only then did Bama "control" the game.

I hope UM completely trucks both Georgia and Bama and on the stage after the game they say "We deserve to be #1 because we controlled both Georgia AND Alabama for the entire 8 quarters!!!"

I don't have a problem with them being 2 because I think the team secretly feels slighted. And they've shown that they feed off of that, so I'm glad they have that chip on their shoulder. I also think Georgia is overrated and I expect Michigan to be prepared for them.

On another note, I am glad that they kept pouring it on Iowa. They FINALLY played to win when they had a lead late instead of playing not to lose. It was refreshing to see them put their foot on the other team's throat when they had the chance.

I don't think it matters if they were ranked 1 or 2...they were going to play Georgia regardless of where they were ranked. The committee wasn't going to put Bama vs. Georgia in the first round of the playoffs.

I don't think it matters if they were ranked 1 or 2...they were going to play Georgia regardless of where they were ranked. The committee wasn't going to put Bama vs. Georgia in the first round of the playoffs.

I posted a thread before the season about how lousy TV ratings were for most games last year, including 2 of 3 playoff games. And that was with people in theory mostly staying home, and attendance being way down as most games (outside the SEC and other crappy conferences) didn't play in front of fans.

I think only the playoff game with ND in it had decent ratings.

After the ratings beating they took last year, the committee needs to see a Alabama - Michigan final. They know if it's UGA-Alabama (even if they hadn't just played in the SEC Championship), something like 90% of the country tunes out, along with the ad revenue. No one is going to pay big advertising dollars for SEC fans.

That's the real story being all the SEC's chest thumping about how they're the best conference; aside from Alabama, they are not any better than anyone else, and on top of that, outside of the South, NO ONE watches them. Even when I had more free time, I avoided SEC games... lousy football, despite what they say. Whoever has talent wins, and the playcalling and what not is poor.

I'm not upset about Bama being #1 as it adds motivation for UM... I just fucking hate their lame ass reason that is not truthful. Just be honest with the bias. Say something like, "Until other conferences beat the SEC regularly, they will online getting the top spot. It is a 'King of the Mountain' type situation."

Just don't blow smoke up everyone's ass by making some BS comment that Bama controlled the entire game from start to finish when it is evident they did not based on Georgia having the lead after the 1st quarter and then extending that lead in the 2nd quarter. It is BS... but hopefully UM uses that as even more added fuel.

I'm not upset about Bama being #1 as it adds motivation for UM... I just fucking hate their lame ass reason that is not truthful. Just be honest with the bias. Say something like, "Until other conferences beat the SEC regularly, they will online getting the top spot. It is a 'King of the Mountain' type situation."

Just don't blow smoke up everyone's ass by making some BS comment that Bama controlled the entire game from start to finish when it is evident they did not based on Georgia having the lead after the 1st quarter and then extending that lead in the 2nd quarter. It is BS... but hopefully UM uses that as even more added fuel.

FWIW, Sagarin ranked Bama #1 by a razor thin margin after that game, so it's not like the committee was out on a limb there.

His top four are Bama, Georgia, OSU, Michigan. Then ND & Cincinnati.

I am okay with the result, more or less. In a perfect world, I'd like to see where UC and Georgia would be if they had to play a schedule comparable to playing in the Big Ten East or at least the SEC West, but that's probably too much to ask.

The problem is they keep putting 2 SEC teams in there every year. Clemson played Georgia tough and didn't give up a defensive TD...Clemson is 9-3. They give Arkansas a ton of credit for blowing out Texas. Texas was ass this year. But the SEC bias continues to confirm itself because they keep getting the opportunity.

And although I understand why strength of schedule plays a major role in determining these rankings, it's not the end-all. Clemson played in the ACC and won the national championship twice. The ACC isn't much better than the American, if at all. With the exception of Clemson there's not a team in that group that is consistently good. Cincinnati had probably the 2nd or 3rd best win of the year for any team. They beat the #5 team in South Bend by 2 scores and ended a 26 game home win streak. What is the best win for the ACC? Big 12? The Big 12 didn't beat a single power 5 team that was over .500 this year in non-conference play. That's almost as difficult to accomplish as Nebraska being 1-8 in league play and having an even score differential for the year.

I agree in most years, having two SEC teams in is bullshit, but this year, it doesn't seem as egregious. If Iowa had gone undefeated prior to the Big Ten Championship, and didn't get blown out but lost to us like 24-14 or something, then they'd have more of a gripe. Or if OSU hadn't lost to Oregon. Or if MSU didn't lose to Purdue and won the Big Ten, despite getting blown out by OSU... but that's a lot of IFs.

And the only other team right now that played a real schedule and finished with one loss or better is ND, who should also probably have gotten a shot, barring Kelly's departure

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, Sagarin ranked Bama #1 by a razor thin margin after that game, so it's not like the committee was out on a limb there.

His top four are Bama, Georgia, OSU, Michigan. Then ND & Cincinnati.

I am okay with the result, more or less. In a perfect world, I'd like to see where UC and Georgia would be if they had to play a schedule comparable to playing in the Big Ten East or at least the SEC West, but that's probably too much to ask.

Michigan beats OSU by 17 and is ranked behind it?

15 pts.

Margin of victory & strength of schedule are the two biggest factors in his rankings.

if you look at their schedule vs. ours, we played a slightly weaker one (Washington vs. Oregon). they blew a lot more teams out, and didn't have any close, one-score wins. We had three (Penn St (albeit on the road), Rutgers and Nebraska).

After we beat them, we closed the gap a lot, but it's still just one game vs. 10 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Notice what you quoted began with FWIW.

Not much.

I think once upon a time Sagarin was in the computer mix for the BCS rankings.

Maybe some gamblers and bookmakers use the Sagarin rankings.

For the most part, only Star Wars nerds and geeks pay attention to Jeff Sagarin.

Why is everyone talking shit about Georgia and who played them tough? Y'all remember penn state, nebraska and Rutgers? You're blinded by the last few games. Maybe we'll kick their ass, but pointing out who almost beat them is ridiculous.

Its not really the SECs fault that the Pac 10, Big 12 and ACC sucked ass this year. No one else is really deserving to be in the top 4 imo. Oregon getting stomped and Okla State losing took care of that argument.

Georgia's defense is for real mainly because they have NFL talent at every level with Davis, Walker and Dean all fringe 1st rd picks.

Stetson Bennet is a fraud if you can create pressure and get him to mess up...something were good at and Alabama proved would work. Stop the run...force him into 3rd n long....unleash Aidan and Ojabo....cover their TE and Pickens.

Last edited:

Forget it, I?m rolling.

Margin of victory & strength of schedule are the two biggest factors in his rankings.

Ryan Day would run up the tilt on Seaholm?s Varsity 3rd string.

if you look at their schedule vs. ours, we played a slightly weaker one (Washington vs. Oregon). they blew a lot more teams out, and didn't have any close, one-score wins. We had three (Penn St (albeit on the road), Rutgers and Nebraska).
OSU lost to OU, which lost to Stanford and Utah in a blowout.

After we beat them, we closed the gap a lot, but it's still just one game vs. 10 or so.

You mean after we beat them by 17. We?ll do it again next year, too. And the next.

Last edited:
Where I live, the SEC/ACC football pundits are calling M-GA a toss-up. They actually respect Michigan.

Notice what you quoted began with FWIW.

Not much.

I think once upon a time Sagarin was in the computer mix for the BCS rankings.

Maybe some gamblers and bookmakers use the Sagarin rankings.

For the most part, only Star Wars nerds and geeks pay attention to Jeff Sagarin.

Sagarin awarded Michigan an NC in 1973, and I?m sticking to it.

Back