Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gotta Feeling Mayhew..

Marvin Austin the Giants 2nd round pick was also on his way to earning a starting spot until he was also injured before the season and missed the year...

so the Giants went CB and DT in rounds 1 and 2.

Who cares who they took? My point was that they DIDN'T contribute. I don't care if they would've. The Giants won WITHOUT them. The defense that was on the field didn't add anyone of note (Prince was a struggling #3 CB).

It highlights the main point: the Lions could get little contribution from defensive rookies this year and still field an improved defense.

Good teams ALWAYS take BPA. If that's a defensive player, then that's probably more ideal, I won't deny that. But reaching to fill needs is why bad teams are bad.

Who cares who they took? My point was that they DIDN'T contribute. I don't care if they would've. The Giants won WITHOUT them. The defense that was on the field didn't add anyone of note (Prince was a struggling #3 CB).

It highlights the main point: the Lions could get little contribution from defensive rookies this year and still field an improved defense.

Good teams ALWAYS take BPA. If that's a defensive player, then that's probably more ideal, I won't deny that. But reaching to fill needs is why bad teams are bad.

you come find me when Mayhew takes a WR in round #1 this year....and both Hill and Wright could be BPA at #23...they're both mocked in that area.

my point is defense trumps WR for the Lions even if he has to reach 5 or 6 spots on his board.

you come find me when Mayhew takes a WR in round #1 this year....and both Hill and Wright could be BPA at #23...they're both mocked in that area.

my point is defense trumps WR for the Lions even if he has to reach 5 or 6 spots on his board.

There's no way Hill is BPA at #23. Wright could be, but he'll be gone by then anyways.

Someone who's being mocked 10-15 will fall all the way to 23, and Detroit will grab him. Look at Cam Jordan last year.

Personally, I hope it IS defense or o-line, like everyone else here.

There's no way Hill is BPA at #23. Wright could be, but he'll be gone by then anyways.

Someone who's being mocked 10-15 will fall all the way to 23, and Detroit will grab him. Look at Cam Jordan last year.

Personally, I hope it IS defense or o-line, like everyone else here.

I'm willing to bet hill has a better career than wright. If he played in a pro style offense he would be a top 10 pick.

I'm willing to bet hill has a better career than wright. If he played in a pro style offense he would be a top 10 pick.

I'll take this bet lol. I think Wright will be a dynamic player in the league. Hill could go either way.

Still think Wright goes higher in the draft.

I think the Heisman winner made him look a lot better than he is. He had an awful proday. What happens to a player who is dubbed a speed receiver and runs a 4.6? We'll find out.

Mayhew isn't afraid to move up. He tried to a year ago for Patrick Peterson. If he wants a particular player, he's willing to give up the picks to go up the board and get him.

Matt Kalil here we come!

I wish!

I think the Heisman winner made him look a lot better than he is. He had an awful proday. What happens to a player who is dubbed a speed receiver and runs a 4.6? We'll find out.

He ran in the 4.4s yesterday

Baylor WR Kendall Wright ran unofficial forty times of 4.43 and 4.46 at the school's Wednesday Pro Day.
These times are closer to Wright's play speed compared to his 4.61 "official" electronic time from the Combine. Wright actually clocked around 4.45 on stopwatches in Indianapolis. The Baylor product has tremendous versatility from multiple wide receiver spots and consistently separates from defenders. We doubt Wright falls out of the top-22 picks.

AND

After speaking to front office men around the NFL, Dan Pompei of the National Football Post writes that Baylor WR Kendall Wright's 4.61 "may have been the most misleading forty time of the Combine."
Wright actually ran in the 4.4s, but was credited with being a step slower due to an early hand movement at the beginning of his forty-yard dash. "Based on tape, he has tremendous speed, burst and explosion," said one NFL scout. Wright should have no trouble running in the low-4.4s at his March 21 Pro Day.

AND

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan suggests Baylor WR Kendall Wright's slow "official" (4.61) forty time at the Combine was due in large part to an inability to get cleanly out of his stance.
"Keep in mind he won't be playing out of a track stance at the next level," wrote Caplan. Wright was hand-timed as fast as 4.45, and he plays in the 4.3-4.4 range in games. "He?s the most explosive wide receiver in this draft and it?s not even close," Caplan adds. "...Any scouting staff that drops his draft grade significantly after one subpar workout should not keep their jobs."

He ran in the 4.4s yesterday

Baylor WR Kendall Wright ran unofficial forty times of 4.43 and 4.46 at the school's Wednesday Pro Day.
These times are closer to Wright's play speed compared to his 4.61 "official" electronic time from the Combine. Wright actually clocked around 4.45 on stopwatches in Indianapolis. The Baylor product has tremendous versatility from multiple wide receiver spots and consistently separates from defenders. We doubt Wright falls out of the top-22 picks.

AND

After speaking to front office men around the NFL, Dan Pompei of the National Football Post writes that Baylor WR Kendall Wright's 4.61 "may have been the most misleading forty time of the Combine."
Wright actually ran in the 4.4s, but was credited with being a step slower due to an early hand movement at the beginning of his forty-yard dash. "Based on tape, he has tremendous speed, burst and explosion," said one NFL scout. Wright should have no trouble running in the low-4.4s at his March 21 Pro Day.

AND

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan suggests Baylor WR Kendall Wright's slow "official" (4.61) forty time at the Combine was due in large part to an inability to get cleanly out of his stance.
"Keep in mind he won't be playing out of a track stance at the next level," wrote Caplan. Wright was hand-timed as fast as 4.45, and he plays in the 4.3-4.4 range in games. "He?s the most explosive wide receiver in this draft and it?s not even close," Caplan adds. "...Any scouting staff that drops his draft grade significantly after one subpar workout should not keep their jobs."

Good for him. His tape is impressive enough. It will depend on a teams need between where wright and hill go. Slot vs outside. Both have proven they can stretch the field. Look at hills ypc. It's like 28 or 29.. crazy. Idk what wrights is.

Good for him. His tape is impressive enough. It will depend on a teams need between where wright and hill go. Slot vs outside. Both have proven they can stretch the field. Look at hills ypc. It's like 28 or 29.. crazy. Idk what wrights is.

Hill is pretty lucky Thomas broke out during the 2nd half of last season, or teams would've said "Look what happened to Thomas. Hill won't develop, either". Hill certainly has a higher ceiling...

Hill is pretty lucky Thomas broke out during the 2nd half of last season, or teams would've said "Look what happened to Thomas. Hill won't develop, either". Hill certainly has a higher ceiling...

I get excited about a skill player with that kind of athletisism. I don't know how gt gets all of these freaks.

I personally am ok with another year of subpar secondary play if it means protecting Mr Stafford better this year.

Mayhew will be swinging trades trying to find bounce back players as usual as well most likely. I keep waiting to hear about a trade...Just a matter of time if you ask me. He may wait until after the draft though.

If the Giants didn't capture lightning in a bottle mid-seasaon by finding a substitute teacher capable of filling in their gaping hole at MLB, they don't make the playoffs let alone win the super bowl. Granted it wasn't a drafted player but fact remains they had to make a huge change on D to win.

I really don't think he's there. Browns at 22.. Bears at 19.. you never know though.

Back