Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gruden racist?

mhughes0021

I know we're in this weird cancel culture place. Gruden said more than a decade ago that demaurice Smith had lips "the size of Michelin tires."

Is describing physical appearance now racist?

Every white 40 year old woman across the country gets lip fillers to make their lips bigger.... should this comment be celebrated as a compliment?

Thoughts?! Lol

Last edited:
The only thing racist is those thinking that there are no white people that don't have big lips? Doesn't Mick Jagger have big lips? maria bartiromo does also she got that botox thing and all. Why are all the racist today the very same ones crying racism all the damn time. Bunch of racist assholes.

Given what little had come out, it seems an overreach to presume racism. I mean, he might be, there other emails the league has sent. But right now, it just seems like he gets nasty towards anyone he doesn't like. If it just comes out he's a petulant a-hole, I don't think anyone would be surprised.

I think trying to read racism into events isn't the best way to start, though it can certainly be the case. But we also have to take into account timing. The only person who is the exact same as they were 10 years ago must be living under a rock. Even if someone made shitty comments a decade ago, they should only be shamed or "cancelled" based on being a shitty person today.

Gruden says he doesn't have a racist bone in his whole body so that answers that. Lol. Don't know if he's racist or not but but he sure seems dumb. Not Urban Meyer dumb but nonetheless dumb.

I believe he technically was provided opportunity to resign and he chose that over being fired.

Additional emails apparently included homophobic comments.

I'm going to go watch Eddie Murphy's stand up routines to remind myself of all the things that will get me fired today should I say them or even laugh at them. Must work on my ability to watch his routines and be highly insulted and outraged instead of what I did when I was younger, immature, and ignorant.

Ahem... "Way to go there Ralphie (Chucky) boy!"

Too soon?

America....where touching buttholes is fine (urban Meyer). But saying someone has big lips over 10 years ago gets you fired lol.

NFL is a joke.

America....where touching buttholes is fine (urban Meyer). But saying someone has big lips over 10 years ago gets you fired lol.

NFL is a joke.

Well to be fair? The guys lips weren?t as big 10 years ago as they are today.

The photos they?re showing on the Internet right now are the lips as they looked 10 years ago. Sure, when one looks at them now, one would think to them self ?you know to compare those lips to Michelin tires well that might be kind a racist.?

But look at what those big ass fucking lips have morphed into today.

One might say - ?comparing those lips to Michelin tires ? that ain?t racist at all-they really really look like Michelin tires.?

And with that, I am moving this thread to the free-speech politics board.

May you be in heaven an hour before the Devil knows you?re dead.

Well to be fair? The guys lips weren?t as big 10 years ago as they are today.

The photos they?re showing on the Internet right now are the lips as they looked 10 years ago. Sure, when one looks at them now, one would think to them self ?you know to compare those lips to Michelin tires well that might be kind a racist.?

But look at what those big ass fucking lips have morphed into today.

One might say - ?comparing those lips to Michelin tires ? that ain?t racist at all-they really really look like Michelin tires.?

And with that, I am moving this thread to the free-speech politics board.

May you be in heaven an hour before the Devil knows you?re dead.

Good call to move it to the politics board before the "woke" people have us all banished.

10 years from now I hope we all look back and recognize how invasive all of this was while being thankful the Woke Police never gained complete control... but unfortunately it is becoming more clear that the Woke Police will have complete control and we will all be silenced.

NFL is a joke.

It's the culture, the culture today is a joke this whole planet is a joke.

Meanwhile, look who's the halftime entertainment at SB [ROMAN NUMERAL]. This is a $$$$$ decision, as is every decision these days for entities like the NFL.

I'm willing to bet there was a lot more in those e-mails than just some 'big lips' jokes for Gruden to resign. Gonna leave my anti-woke pitchfork put away until we see the rest.

NFL is a joke.

Let's not forget Ray Lewis is an accessory to murder and how many guys beat the crap out of their wives/girlfriends but got to play/coach again? Ray Rice is the only guy I'm aware of who lost his career over it. Clearly, those crimes don't rise to the level of making a statement that someone might construe as racist and get offended.

Just a reminder that this initially came up due to investigations into toxic workplace culture. Gruden may not be racist, misogynistic, or homophobic personally. But if the guy at the top of your organization is hurling slurs at everyone he doesn't like a little bit, that work environment probably IS toxic af.

While it's easy to throw this under the bus of cancel culture, I think the reality is a lot less contentious. Working under Gruden probably sucked balls for legally impermissible reasons, and that's it. Keep in mind even those things released are done so to keep the overall league looking good. So the things that are out are probably the least damning.

Just a reminder that this initially came up due to investigations into toxic workplace culture. Gruden may not be racist, misogynistic, or homophobic personally. But if the guy at the top of your organization is hurling slurs at everyone he doesn't like a little bit, that work environment probably IS toxic af.

While it's easy to throw this under the bus of cancel culture, I think the reality is a lot less contentious. Working under Gruden probably sucked balls for legally impermissible reasons, and that's it. Keep in mind even those things released are done so to keep the overall league looking good. So the things that are out are probably the least damning.

per my previous post, I don't think this makes the league look good. It makes them look like a bunch of hypocrites placating the loudest whiners in the room.

I'm willing to bet there was a lot more in those e-mails than just some 'big lips' jokes for Gruden to resign. Gonna leave my anti-woke pitchfork put away until we see the rest.

Other emails are out there.

"Gruden?s departure came after a New York Times report that N.F.L. officials, as part of a separate workplace misconduct investigation that did not directly involve him, found that Gruden had casually and frequently unleashed misogynistic and homophobic language over several years to denigrate people around the game and to mock some of the league?s momentous changes."

Link

I guess there is a case for saying that Gruden bit the hand that feeds him, even though it is a hand that distributes poison, IMO, and selectively looks the other way when it is profitable, or when it affects profits.

This is the organization that categorically denied that CTE was real, when it knew that it was, and fought tooth and nail to suppress that information and intimidate doctors that promoted the direct connection.

Here's the initial token response that the NFL released after running out of options. Link

And, as for the settlement ... Link ... and aggregate 1 Billion seems somewhat paltry.

Last edited:
per my previous post, I don't think this makes the league look good. It makes them look like a bunch of hypocrites placating the loudest whiners in the room.

who was whining about Gruden when the investigation started, or even after? I didn't hear a peep about him - in any context - until I saw headlines that he was fired for racist and homophobic emails.

Sounds like there was a little more to that story though.

I don't think "the loudest whiners in the room" even know who Gruden is.

Back