Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs CMU

thewolverines24

7 PM Eastern on BTN+. Subscription stream to watch is the only option. Unless you know Jack Sparrow, Blackbeard, or Roberto Clemente.

KEYS

Value the basketball: The strength of CMU?s defense is its ability to force giveaways, while Michigan is ranked 2nd in the country in turnover rate. The Wolverines have been terrific in valuing the basketball all year long, and accomplishing the same will be crucial tonight.

Transition & one-on-one defense: CMU wants to play fast and attack one-on-one matchups. It?s not much of a secret that Michigan has struggled to contain the ball defensively and CMU will test those abilities, despite a very limited offensive squad. An outstanding defensive performance against Central Michigan won?t change the outlook for Michigan on defense, but it will provide a building block ahead of much more difficult challenges.

Get Hunter Dickinson on track: Hunter Dickinson has been sputtering over the last six games. He?s been productive but hasn?t been approaching the All-American level of play that Michigan needs from him on a nightly basis. Establishing a ball screen offense is essential, just like it has been crucial to allow Dug McDaniel and Kobe Bufkin to grow into bigger roles. That progress has been encouraging over the last few games, but where this team ends up depends on Dickinson. Michigan isn?t going to beat good Big Ten teams without Dickinson dominating, and he hasn?t dominated a game for a while now.

BOTTOM LINE

The Chippewas are one of the worst teams on Michigan?s non-conference schedule, and Michigan is out of time to mess around. KenPom pegs the Wolverines as 85-65 favorites, giving CMU a 3% chance at the upset. This is a spot where Michigan needs to play well for 40 minutes, cover the KenPom spread, and then get back in the lab ahead of a New Year?s Day tilt with Maryland.

Go Blue!

Last edited:
Exactly the effort level I expected tonight. It's pathetic. Team needs a leader (player).

I saw only 1 late second half lead. 61-60. This horribly coached team loses 63-61 To a 4-8 Mac team.

Nice work Howard. Turned JB Michigan into shit.

Hunter isn't good now. Body language is awful, terrible defender, weak on the glass, missing way too many bunnies. Him being the upper classman leader in this team is an issue.

I saw only 1 late second half lead. 61-60. This horribly coached team loses 63-61 To a 4-8 Mac team.

Elite 8 (one shot from Final Four), and two Sweet 16s isn't shit. This is a bad year.

Lady Wolverines may be the best Lady Wolverines hoops team ever.

I?m going to be watching at 10 AM Pacific time on the Big Ten network as they travel to Columbus to take on the hated lady buckeyes.

I watched the ticker and they couldn?t get back to back stops on a Mac school.

It was 61-60 Michigan with 2:27 left in the game.

1:30 Kobe misses three.
.59 cmu missed a three.
0.35 Jett misses a three.
11 cmu hits a three.
0.4 Kobe misses a three
Hunter missed the put back.

Team is 6-19 from three and yet instead of maybe dialing up a nice play we Jack three more threes to end the game 6-22 from three.
Howard just isn?t a good coach or recruiter. I don?t see it right now.

Last edited:
Elite 8 (one shot from Final Four), and two Sweet 16s isn't shit. This is a bad year.

JB?s kids. Howard needs to get way better with his kids or this is going to do down hill fast.
They look awful. He never makes any adjustment. Let?s just keep jacking threes. Run some offense and get a damn bucket.

JB?s kids. Howard needs to get way better with his kids or this is going to do down hill fast.
They look awful. He never makes any adjustment. Let?s just keep jacking threes. Run some offense and get a damn bucket.

Never makes any adjustments is flat out wrong. They run some of the best sets in basketball. Open threes are good shots. It's not 1964.

I learned my lesson when I quit on Harbaugh and wanted him fired. He was coaching selfish teams that really didn't give a damn about winning. Juwan has the same example being set by Hunter.

Never makes any adjustments is flat out wrong. They run some of the best sets in basketball. Open threes are good shots. It's not 1964.

I learned my lesson when I quit on Harbaugh and wanted him fired. He was coaching selfish teams that really didn't give a damn about winning. Juwan has the same example being set by Hunter.

Nice.

I felt alone on an island after the 2020 season.

I guess MichChamp was with me.

I?m not going to lie, I played in the same little league as Jim and John, the Vince Lombardi Junior Football league.

I didn?t know them, they lived on the other side of town and went to different schools than I did and they played on the junior Packers and I played on the junior Rams; Jim is three years younger than I am, and John is a year younger than I am.

Possibly, I tackled John in a game or he tackled me or possibly, I blocked him or he blocked me, I don?t know.

I went to high school with their friends, Floyd and Lloyd Rowry, who they played with on the Packers.

I consider Jim an Ann Arbor townie, like me. An Ann Arbor townie from my time.

So when Harbaugh came home to Ann Arbor to coach Michigan, it wasn?t just a ?Michigan man? thing for me.

It was a little more personal.

EDIT: Of course, I was obviously in high school when John was there, but I didn?t know him.

I was doing competitive aquatic sports in high school.

I knew Floyd and Lloyd because one of them was dating Johnny Orr?s daughter - the then Michigan basketball coach - and she was a friend of mine.

Gary Moeller?s daughter was a friend of mine too.

Last edited:

We all quit on Harbaugh until he proved he could figure it out.
There is not one member when they were 2-4 in the Covid year that?s didn?t want him fired.

We aren?t giving up but there are warning signs that Howard isn?t that good of a coach. Who keeps running sets for threes when your team can?t consistently make them ? They were down 2 points. Run a bucket set to tie the game not a Kobe Jack 3 with four seconds left.

Hunter looks like he had regressed today me. Team barley cracked sixty points against bad a 4-8 mac school.
He better figure it out. They do not look good. They look uninspired to me under Howard. Team that plays with no fire.

Last edited:
We all quit on Harbaugh until he proved he could figure it out.

We aren?t giving up but there are warning signs that Howard isn?t that good of a coach. Who keeps running sets for threes when your team can?t consistently make them ? They were down 2 points. Run a bucket set to tie the game not a Kobe Jack 3 with four seconds left.

Hunter looks like he had regressed today me. Team barley cracked sixty points against a 4-8 max school. He better figure it out. They do not look good.

Hunter has regressed because his effort level is awful. He doesn't play defense, doesn't rebound well, doesn't seal his man or fight for position in the post like he used to. His physique is soft batch like a middle-aged man. Why isn't he busting his ass at Camp Sanderson in the offseason so he can further dominate?

I honestly think he's just going through the motions because he's realized he'll never play in the NBA. That type of attitude rubs off when you're supposed to be the best player on the team.

Hunter has regressed because his effort level is awful. He doesn't play defense, doesn't rebound well, doesn't seal his man or fight for position in the post like he used to. His physique is soft batch like a middle-aged man. Why isn't he busting his ass at Camp Sanderson in the offseason so he can further dominate?

I honestly think he's just going through the motions because he's realized he'll never play in the NBA. That type of attitude rubs off when you're supposed to be the best player on the team.

Then Howard isn?t a good coach if he can?t push his buttons right. You know it can go both ways. Blame the coach if he isn?t getting the best out of a player. Or just bench his ass.

Again Howard had a stacked team his first season. He sure could have used a bucket in that elite 8 game too. So many misses shots against ucla. Howard has to get better. Or his tenure at Michigan will be short lived.

Then Howard isn?t a good coach if he can?t push his buttons right. You know it can go both ways. Blame the coach if he isn?t getting the best out of a player. Or just bench his ass.

Sometimes this is impossible. You can't start Reed and actually hope to win games. Have to role with Hunter and keep trying to coax out his best. Sometimes you get it out of them, sometimes you just can't win.

Again Howard had a stacked team his first season. He sure could have used a bucket in that elite 8 game too. So many misses shots against ucla. Howard has to get better. Or his tenure at Michigan will be short lived.

I mean we got two layups and a wide open three to win that Elite 8 game. Players couldn't finish.

Back