Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs CMU

Sometimes this is impossible. You can't start Reed and actually hope to win games. Have to role with Hunter and keep trying to coax out his best. Sometimes you get it out of them, sometimes you just can't win.

You have to try something to get Hunter off his ass. You have to try something to try and get this team going
Because 7-5 just isn?t good enough. I don?t think he is utilizing this roster right so far.

Last edited:
I mean we got two layups and a wide open three to win that Elite 8 game. Players couldn't finish.

Gotta start winning some close games. He just can?t seem to finish can he ?
Izzo would have crushed cmu. His teams are always ready for these type of games.

Last edited:
We all quit on Harbaugh until he proved he could figure it out.
There is not one member when they were 2-4 in the Covid year that?s didn?t want him fired

We aren?t giving up but there are warning signs that Howard isn?t that good of a coach. Who keeps running sets for threes when your team can?t consistently make them ? They were down 2 points. Run a bucket set to tie the game not a Kobe Jack 3 with four seconds left.

Hunter looks like he had regressed today me. Team barley cracked sixty points against bad a 4-8 mac school.
He better figure it out. They do not look good. They look uninspired to me under Howard. Team that plays with no fire.

Wow.

In the post literally before this post of yours I?m quoting I posted that I NEVER quit on Harbaugh. Not ever. Not the 2020, not when Michigan lost the heartbreaker to MSU in 2021 when you were saying ?fire Jim today,? - not ever.

Your post #187 and compare it to my post #300.

I could probably find 20 to 30 more posts where you wanted Harbaugh to be fired.

I DEFY you to find a post where I EVER gave up on Michigan Head Football Coach Jim Harbaugh, ever, even once.

Jace and Juwan postgame. Jace doesn't mince words about the team's lack of effort. From UMHoops:

Sitting behind the microphone speaking to reporters, Jace Howard opened up. About his team?s upset loss to Central Michigan on home turf, about the lackadaisical effort his team displayed, about where it can go from here.

Because after a season in which the Wolverines have played down to lesser opponents and played up to skilled foes, their constant flirtation with disaster caught up with them, and they don?t need to look far for solutions.

?It?s been a trend now, these games ? especially these home games ? I feel like we just have been shooting ourselves in the foot and we?ve been able to sneak out of it,? Howard said. ?And let?s just call it for what it is: we were down in each one down the stretch in the last five minutes and now it finally got us, it finally bit us in the butt.?

Howard?s honesty might come as a shock. All season, Michigan has promised that something better is coming, that the great team they want to become is right there waiting around the corner. But after losing to a MAC opponent ranked 296th in the country on your home court, there?s no time for excuses or promises, and Howard offered none.

Instead, Jace and Michigan coach Juwan Howard pointed to the root of their struggles: effort. All game, like they have all season, mistakes piled up and shot the Wolverines in the foot again and again.

Look no further than Michigan?s board play. Surrendering a whopping 17 offensive rebounds that led to 23 second-chance points, it lost the game through its defensive effort. Those mistakes, ones that have shown up against opponents like Ohio and Eastern Michigan, inevitably cost them a game any formidable high-major team should have easily won.

Juwan echoed the same sentiment, but his concerns lay beyond just the glass. Out of the 11 players he put on the court, only two ? Will Tschetter and four minutes of Isaiah Barnes ? gave him the effort he wanted. And ultimately, that?s all Juwan seems to want after stomaching such a difficult loss.

?(Tschetter) came out and was playing so hard in the second half that he asked to come out,? Juwan leveled, his eyes rimmed with red. ?We haven?t had a guy like that ? playing so hard, giving the energy and effort and then raising their hand to come out ? we haven?t had that in a long time.?

Outside of one performer, the Wolverines didn?t make the extra effort to box out their opponents, to throw their whole bodies at rebounds, or buy into a lockdown defense. During their interviews, it was clear that Jace and Juwan both expected more out of the group.

?It?s the little things and the things you think are simple, but when it gets down to it, it?s obviously something that we are really bad at right now,? Jace said. ?And I feel like once we get ahold of that, we are going to be able to take that next step.?

Because their lineup has all the pieces to be a good team ? Jett Howard will play in the NBA some day, Hunter Dickinson has immense offensive upside ? but it can?t be that if mistakes and errors pile up. And it certainly can?t be that if it lacks an overall sense of effort.

And that?s what pains them the most:

?That?s why it hurts so much right now,? Jace said, choking up a little as he delivered the words. ?Because you know what you?re capable of and you know the team is capable of, but not seeing it is very frustrating.?

At this point, those frustrations have turned into desperation. The season isn?t over, giving the Wolverines time to figure out their woes. No matter if they?ve got a shot at making March Madness ? which Thursday?s loss certainly threatens ? they?ve still got 19 Big Ten games left on the schedule.

But they have to transform that frustration into actual change. Losing to Central Michigan wasn?t a one-off, but rather all Michigan?s poor play finally catching up with it.

?(What) gives me hope (with) this team is how connected this basketball team is and how much we want it, but we?re not playing like it,? Jace said. ?We?re saying things in the locker room, we?re doing it in practice. But when you come out in the game, that?s what really matters and now somethings gotta change ? and it will change.?

The time to make those changes might be too late ? the Wolverines couldn?t avert a disastrous loss to Central Michigan, but they?re still looking for a solution.

?You can hurt all you want but what are we going to do to fix it?? Jace asked rhetorically. ?And I think that comes down to us playing every game like it?s our last and that?s what we have to do. We don?t have a lot of room for error.

?Every second is final when you?re fighting for survival. That?s how we gotta keep on playing because that?s where we?re at right now.?

Link

Wow.

In the post literally before this post of yours I?m quoting I posted that I NEVER quit on Harbaugh. Not ever. Not the 2020, not when Michigan lost the heartbreaker to MSU in 2021 when you were saying ?fire Jim today,? - not ever.

Your post #187 and compare it to my post #300.

I could probably find 20 to 30 more posts where you wanted Harbaugh to be fired.

I DEFY you to find a post where I EVER gave up on Michigan Head Football Coach Jim Harbaugh, ever, even once.

Yeah so what ?
Who freaking cares. Howard is the freaking coach. It?s up to him to get the most out of his players and if he doesn?t he will be fired in a few years. Hopefully he figures it out because they just lost to a crappy mac school. They have to much talent to be 7-5. Something is freaking wrong with this Basketball team. They don?t hustle at all.

Congrats on wanting Jim to stay. About time he figure it out after going 0-5 against Osu, and losing to many times to subpar Msu teams.
Jim should have been fired after those back to back blow out losses to Osu and the 2-4 Covid season. His team wasn?t that good. We were not getting the same Jim as the first two seasons. Something had changed in him. Maybe the Covid season changed him because he took a pay cut fired a bunch of people and improved his staff. About freaking time. Hopefully he can fix Michigan?s sad bowl tradition of not showing up. Keeping fingers crossed?

Last edited:
Yeah so what ?
Who freaking cares. Howard is the freaking coach. It?s up to him to get the most out of his players and if he doesn?t he will be fired in a few years. Hopefully he figures it out because they just lost to a crappy mac school. They have to much talent to be 7-5. Something is freaking wrong with this Basketball team. They don?t hustle at all.

Congrats on wanting Jim to stay. About time he figure it out after going 0-5 against Osu, and losing to many times to subpar Msu teams.
Jim should have been fired after those back to back blow out losses to Osu and the 2-4 Covid season. His team wasn?t that good. We were not getting the same Jim as the first two seasons. Something had changed in him. Maybe the Covid season changed him because he took a pay cut fired a bunch of people and improved his staff. About freaking time. Hopefully he can fix Michigan?s sad bowl tradition of not showing up. Keeping fingers crossed?

Since then Michigan has won back to back Big 10 Championships.

Do you think that would have happened in Harbaugh had been fired at the time you say he should have been?

I?m not the one who brought up Harbaugh on the basketball game, thread, anyway.

But when someone says ?everybody wanted Harbaugh to be fired? - that?s just not true.

I would ask ?who should Harbaugh be replaced with?? Nobody seemed to have an answer.

Even with the disastrous 2020 season, Harbaugh vastly exceeded his two predecessors.

How long are you going to keep the coach carousel going?

You pointed out a number of things Harbaugh did to turn things around over the course of the last two years.

Hey, guess what? Everybody else was watching too. You?re not telling anyone here anything they don?t already know.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Back