Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs Jackson State

thewolverines24

8:30 PM Eastern on BTN.

KEYS

Defensive rebounding: Rebounding on both ends of the court is the main area where Jackson State has excelled this season. Michigan?s defensive rebounding effort has been poor this year despite playing a schedule without many elite rebounding teams. The defensive glass is the area to watch where Michigan should shoot to grab at least 70% of the Tigers? misses.

Perimeter shooting: Teams are shooting 38.9% from 3-point range (304th) and attempting 41.4% of their shots from three (265th) against JSU. Michigan has struggled to make shots all season, and this is a great spot to get back on track as a shooting team. We know that Jett Howard and Joey Baker can make threes; it would be a great night if Kobe Bufkin and Jaelin Llewellyn can hit threes too.

Two good halves: If there was a ?good possession rate? stat, Michigan would probably be between 60 and 70 percent. That number needs to climb toward 90 percent for the Wolverines to win games consistently. Stringing together 40 minutes (against any opponent) would be a victory for Michigan. Avoiding those stretches of defensive lapses or wasted possessions would set the tone for what it?ll take to beat better teams down the line.

MATCHUPS
Adams ? Llewellyn
Watson ? Howard
Evans ? Bufkin
Young ? Williams
Mansel ? Dickinson

The big defensive question for each game on the schedule is what is the best role to minimize Jett Howard?s defensive issues. You probably go with a positional swap here and slide Howard down onto Watson because he?s less efficient than Evans (80.5 ORtg vs. 108.3) and less of a threat from 3-point range. Bufkin draws the top assignment (Evans), while Terrance Williams II has a more interesting one-on-one matchup than he?s had in a few games.

KenPom projects an 84-62 Michigan W. Hopefully it's more like a 35 point win since this is the worst team on the schedule.

GO BLUE!

Last edited:
I?m watching the game but I?m also watching the Wings game.. I really hope we hit 10 threes, and play good.

I really think Howard could help his 3 guards by pressing and trapping trying to get some layups. Jett misses a three to start.

15:11
Michigan has 1 bucket .

Michigan has 3 points . Least it was a three trail 6-3.

Does Howard have any offense that can get a bucket ? All we are taking is Threes so far.

I?m very frustrated with this team. Decision making has to be better .
Have these guys every run a fast break ?
Yikes .

Last edited:
Jackson runs a nice set and The other Howard acts like he has never played defense.

Man I wish Bufkin could shoot. Michigan with a small run to end the half. 9-0 run to end the half has Michigan up 10. 37-27. Game was mostly tied all half. Jett hits the last 5 points and gets on the board. Such a Streaky shooter.

Last edited:
This Team is so sloppy on set pieces right now. No one is paying attention to details.. I guess they need to get ise to each other because idk.

That is three number 10 by Jett for the team. 10 for 23 with 9:28 left in the 2nd half.

Michigan 10 + blocks tonight. Last time that happened was 2007 against Minnesota.

Sloppy lazy finish by Michigan. Final score 78-68.

Last edited:
Sloppy lazy finish by Michigan. Final score 78-68.

Wait, what?

Coach emptied the bench in garbage time.

Literally the janitor got minutes.

Aside from that ?whatever the hell that was? in the absurd loss in Brooklyn or whatever, I like and have confidence in this team.

Given the status of our football team going into Saturday, I am not yet ready to concede that ?we are a basketball school anyway.?

At least Llewellyn hit his FTs, but he's still not good at all. He came into this game shooting 32% and went 1/6 tonight.

I'd prefer Dug as the starter at PG.

Back