Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs OSU

One more nail in the coffin on Saturday. I hope those recruits sign or this will be a short tenure for Howard.

See izzo is smart. Same time 16.9. Sets up a play for Winston and he makes the bucket. Now he missed the free throw to tie but you extend the game somehow. Now Psu hit the two ft with 9 seconds left you have to shot the first three.

Look I know Howard is learning and he tried some things on defense, and his offense did get a bunch of open looks. But man we should be pushing tempo against Wesson and Osu .

Oh goody we get a pissed off Winston Saturday now :/
You keep saying push the tempo like you can just force it.

Buckeyes have an elite transition defense, allowing just 7.8 transition points per game ? the eighth-lowest total in college basketball. But you know, just force shit that isn't there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

“I didn’t see it,” Howard said. “And I tried to ask for an explanation, I tried to look for it. I was being shown on the monitor a replay right near our bench. So I started to look at it when I was talking to the referee and then as I was looking … he told the guy to shut it off immediately. So, I was like, ‘Wow. Let me see what happened.’ And he was explaining it to me. I’m like, I couldn’t believe it.”

Howard said the referee explained what had happened on the play, and said that Simpson grabbed Young to brace his fall. The implication was that with no malintent from Simpson, Howard was unsure why a flagrant had been assessed.

Utter bullshit.

https://umhoops.com/2020/02/05/final-33-seconds-bite-wolverines-in-ohio-state-loss/

You keep saying push the tempo like you can just force it.

Buckeyes have an elite transition defense, allowing just 7.8 transition points per game ? the eighth-lowest total in college basketball. But you know, just force shit that isn't there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So let?s keep jacking up 31 threes. That makes zero sense T ? You have to try other things to jump start your offense no matter what the stats say. Stats are meant to be beaten. If we make Two freaking more 2 point buckets we win. So yeah I?d like to see something different no matter how good Osu defense is. Plus they lost another player in the second half, and we still couldn?t take advantage of it. We were not hitting anything. Maybe pushing tempo could have gotten us a few more buckets. May as well try a few more Attempts closer in by pushing. Plus the only reason I thought this would be something to try is how thin Osu bench is and sometimes bigs (Wesson) potential could get tired. Heck Teske wasn?t stopping him. Maybe fatigue would have ? This Team just can?t catch any breaks. That ripped foul on Simpson was bullshit, and sadly it cost us the game. But it shouldn?t have come down to that.

Last edited:
So let?s keep jacking up 31 threes. That makes zero sense T ? You have to try other things to jump start your offense no matter what the stats say. Stats are meant to be beaten. If we make Two freaking more 2 point buckets we win. So yeah I?d like to see something different no matter how good Osu defense is.

We were not hitting anything. Maybe pushing tempo could have gotten us a few more buckets. May as well try a few more Attempts closer in by pushing. Plus the only reason I thought this would be something to try is how thin Osu bench is and sometimes bigs (Wesson) potential could get tired. Heck Teske wasn?t stopping him. Maybe fatigue would have ?

There weren't any opportunities to push the tempo and get buckets in transition. OSU was doing a great job of getting back and completely taking that away. You can't just force. That's terrible offense. Getting wide open looks over and over is good offense. Howard's offense has put these players in great spots to succeed and they keep missing shots. We missed 5 or 6 layups last night as well, so it wasn't just threes that weren't falling. We also missed the vast majority of our mid-range jumpers.

Maybe we should have tried half court shots.

What we're doing on offense is fine. The efficiency numbers are very similar to last year with JB running the show and JB had the better roster.

Michigan is 32nd in KenPom Adf Off on the year and was 24th last year.

U-M scored 1.05 PPP in Big Ten games last year (4th) and is scoring 1.03 PPP in Big Ten games this year (4th).

Overall efficiency in Big Ten games is down a bit this year 1.007 vs. 1.02.

Remove Livers' injury or even have our guys hit their open shots at a reasonable rate and the numbers are likely identical or better this year. Juwan essentially has the offense at the exact same level as JB did last year and we all know JB was a genius with offense.

There weren't any opportunities to push the tempo and get buckets in transition. OSU was doing a great job of getting back and completely taking that away. You can't just force. That's terrible offense. Getting wide open looks over and over is good offense. Howard's offense has put these players in great spots to succeed and they keep missing shots. We missed 5 or 6 layups last night as well, so it wasn't just threes that weren't falling. We also missed the vast majority of our mid-range jumpers.

Maybe we should have tried half court shots.

That seems to be what you want. I never said that. Half court shots ? Where did you get that from ? They can?t hit layups let alone jacking up 31 threes.
Osu was short handed. No reason not to try and push tempo every now and then.
I would much rather have 10 less three attempts then maybe a few buckets would have gone in. Doubtful but they have a better percentage chance of going in the 25 or 30 footer.

What we're doing on offense is fine. The efficiency numbers are very similar to last year with JB running the show and JB had the better roster.

Michigan is 32nd in KenPom Adf Off on the year and was 24th last year.

U-M scored 1.05 PPP in Big Ten games last year (4th) and is scoring 1.03 PPP in Big Ten games this year (4th).

Overall efficiency in Big Ten games is down a bit this year 1.007 vs. 1.02.

Remove Livers' injury or even have our guys hit their open shots at a reasonable rate and the numbers are likely identical or better this year. Juwan essentially has the offense at the exact same level as JB did last year and we all know JB was a genius with offense.

We hopefully they start hitting shots. Or the losses will continue to pile up.

That seems to be what you want. I never said that. Half court shots ? Where did you get that from ? They can?t hit layups let alone jacking up 31 threes.
Osu was short handed. No reason not to try and push tempo every now and then.
I would much rather have 10 less three attempts then maybe a few buckets would have gone in. Doubtful but they have a better percentage chance of going in the 25 or 30 footer.

Obviously the half court shot thing was a sarcastic joke.

You push tempo when the opportunity presents itself and take advantage. You don't push the ball into the teeth of the defense or into a numbers disadvantage.

This team has to take what the defense gives them because we don't have any isolation guys who can just go and get buckets.

Because of life's business I haven't been able to sit a watch many full games but I have seen the end of many and they all seem the same - lack of clutch free throws and chucking up shots when it would seem better to work the ball down low and draw fouls.

Why is this team so bad at free throws?

Because of life's business I haven't been able to sit a watch many full games but I have seen the end of many and they all seem the same - lack of clutch free throws and chucking up shots when it would seem better to work the ball down low and draw fouls.

Why is this team so bad at free throws?

We couldn't work the ball down low to Teske last night because he was being manhandled by Wesson. Davis did a much better job.

No clue what's going on with the FTs, but this is the third year in a row where we are shooting 70% or worse from the line. 70% the past two years and only 66% three years ago. Frustrating.

Terry Wymer, the only ref on the court that called for a F1 to be reviewed, is a member of the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame.

I am fucking shocked. Could this shitbag conference maybe not assign refs to rivalry games that clearly have objectivity issues?

Terry Wymer, the only ref on the court that called for a F1 to be reviewed, is a member of the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame.

I am fucking shocked. Could this shitbag conference maybe not assign refs to rivalry games that clearly have objectivity issues?

Yep. I saw that Wymer and Carstenson were the officials and I knew the game would be horribly officiated. I was correct.

Jesus fuck. The Big Ten is run by incompetent dingbats. That is being kind.

Maybe for a few games Teske should come off the bench. Like after the first media timeout or something? Need to try something with him. Although that may crush what little confidence he has left.

Maybe for a few games Teske should come off the bench. Like after the first media timeout or something? Need to try something with him. Although that may crush what little confidence he has left.

Howard tried to get him to step up last night and he withered. They discussed it coming out of halftime. The sideline reporter, McGrath, said she overheard Howard urging and encouraging Teske to play much harder, more physical, etc.

The message didn't take. Obviously.

I think with Teske, we have what we have. He's a 5th year senior past the midway point of conference season. He isn't just going to transform now all of a sudden. We just have to deal with the situation as it is. Yes, that stinks, but it is his last season.

I think with Teske, we have what we have. He's a 5th year senior past the midway point of conference season. He isn't just going to transform now all of a sudden. We just have to deal with the situation as it is. Yes, that stinks, but it is his last season.

Yeah, but how did his defense all of the sudden just fall off a cliff. Now that is hard to explain.

Back