Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How Competitive Will Lions be in 2021?

Assuming Sewell is there he is probably BPA. Chase/Waddle are BPA over Slater/Darrisaw though. Trade down then Slater makes sense though.

Lions need a number 1 WR. Left tackle not a need with Decker long term. RTs can be added later too really and most are taken day 2. Many different ways to do it. Passing on Sewell is not wrong if Chase or Waddle become number 1 WRs for the Lions too. Parsons could really help a defense that needs much needed help. Lions just need a good player. It's more than a one year rebuild. There isn't a perfect pick. Even with the hindsight police, taking Waddle could be right choice.

They can't really go wrong at 7

when you say "they can't go wrong" you mean the pick has to pan out, you are right.

that said, it's the Lions. They will probably pick a WR that turns out to be a bust and whoever is picked at #8 will go to the HOF

We're going to win a playoff game....unless we draft a fucking qb

when you say "they can't go wrong" you mean the pick has to pan out, you are right.

that said, it's the Lions. They will probably pick a WR that turns out to be a bust and whoever is picked at #8 will go to the HOF

Well, to be fair, I doubt there has ever been a team that though they were GOING to draft a bust at #7. The Lions are actually in a really good spot this draft. We'll have a very good shot at a top 2-3 overall talent because of the early run on QB's. Also in a good spot for a trade down if they get a solid offer.

I do fear a worse case scenario if we trade down past 12. That would be missing out on the top 3 WR, Sewell, Slater and Parsons. To me, those are the top tier talents in this draft.....and we wouldn't be maximizing our draft capital if we don't get one of those players.....IMO.

Are you saying this year?

When is this playoff win going to happen?

Or did the sarcasm go right over my head?

No sarcasm. If you look at the energy of the team and see how players are reacting to the changes, you'll see that something changed for the better. Goff is going to shock everyone this year, swift is going to completely break out and the defense is going to be better. A couple pieces via the draft or trade and I think we are a 9-10 win team barring major injury.

I know new coaches and gm always seem to bring a new emergy and excitement but this actually looks real.

Im drinking the kool aid. I don't care.

No sarcasm. If you look at the energy of the team and see how players are reacting to the changes, you'll see that something changed for the better. Goff is going to shock everyone this year, swift is going to completely break out and the defense is going to be better. A couple pieces via the draft or trade and I think we are a 9-10 win team barring major injury.

I know new coaches and gm always seem to bring a new emergy and excitement but this actually looks real.

It takes a strong human being to remain optimistic after years of disappointment lol.

I'll stay in the camp of every coach and gm that comes here turns into an absolute moron. Still waiting for any of them to prove me wrong.

energy of the team? They might be excited to have a new coaching staff, but the players are the same shitty players from last year. I'm no fan of Stafford, but Goff is a downgrade. If EVERYTHING goes right, I think the best case for this team is 7 wins. My guess is they end up 5-12

Even I am not expecting 9 or 10 wins this year. Its a rebuild year. The energy is great but it takes some game changers if the Patricia era taught me anything. The coaches have done good things in this league but they have to prove it again with their schemes and getting the most out of the players.

I mean the Bears and WFT maybe the playoffs last year and there are 7 spots but still we have a very very tough schedule and lots of questions right now still.

energy of the team? They might be excited to have a new coaching staff, but the players are the same shitty players from last year. I'm no fan of Stafford, but Goff is a downgrade. If EVERYTHING goes right, I think the best case for this team is 7 wins. My guess is they end up 5-12

Goff is not a downgrade. As much as we blame the refs for the loss to Dallas in the playoffs, how much of that loss was due to Stafford losing the game instead of finishing off the Cowboys?

Stafford either played like shit early in games and had to mount comebacks, or he played well early and failed to hold onto leads. Even if he were to win the SB next year with the Rams, I am thankful he is no longer able to frustrate me as a Lions fan. Maybe Goff will be worse, but I cannot consider him a downgrade when he has actually managed his prior team to playoff wins.

Goff is not a downgrade. As much as we blame the refs for the loss to Dallas in the playoffs, how much of that loss was due to Stafford losing the game instead of finishing off the Cowboys?

Stafford either played like shit early in games and had to mount comebacks, or he played well early and failed to hold onto leads. Even if he were to win the SB next year with the Rams, I am thankful he is no longer able to frustrate me as a Lions fan. Maybe Goff will be worse, but I cannot consider him a downgrade when he has actually managed his prior team to playoff wins.

Goff had 186 yards passing on 28 attempts and 74 rating in their win against the Cowboys in 2018 playoffs. They had 238 yards rushing from RBS and 3 TDs and thus scored 30 points with 3 FG drives too. If Lions rushed like that, they beat alot of teams with Stafford playing really well.

Goff "won the game" and Stafford "lost the game" to the Cowboys

Rams won the Champ game after a blown PI call in their favor. It went the other way in the Lions game like always with Cowboys. 83 rating 1 TD 1 pick and 297 yards for Goff here.

So let's pump the brakes on Goff can get you to a Super Bowl. Goff can.. not blow it with a good running team (Lions have never been that) and if helped by the refs (which they institutued PI review because of that play)

Stafford has never had a good running team nor good running efforts in 3 playoff games.

Will be interested to see if Rams are still good running team and how much that helps Stafford this year

20 7 Lions against Cowboys. Lions stud defense gives up TD, FG, TD (after a 10 yard punt by Martin after the bogus non PI call)

Last edited:
Goff had 186 yards passing on 28 attempts and 74 rating in their win against the Cowboys in 2018 playoffs. They had 238 yards rushing from RBS and 3 TDs and thus scored 30 points with 3 FG drives too. If Lions rushed like that, they beat alot of teams with Stafford playing really well.

Goff "won the game" and Stafford "lost the game" to the Cowboys

Rams won the Champ game after a blown PI call in their favor. It went the other way in the Lions game like always with Cowboys. 83 rating 1 TD 1 pick and 297 yards for Goff here.

So let's pump the brakes on Goff can get you to a Super Bowl. Goff can.. not blow it with a good running team (Lions have never been that) and if helped by the refs (which they institutued PI review because of that play)

Stafford has never had a good running team nor good running efforts in 3 playoff games.

Will be interested to see if Rams are still good running team and how much that helps Stafford this year

20 7 Lions against Cowboys. Lions stud defense gives up TD, FG, TD (after a 10 yard punt by Martin after the bogus non PI call)

Up 20-7, complete the passes necessary to sustain drives and win the game.

Ever consider the reason the Lions never had a decent run game was due to Stafford ALWAYS trying to do everything with his arm??? The coaches and players all bought into the idea that wins would only happen if Stafford throws 50+ times.

Goff is flexible, accepting of a balanced offense, and understands how to make throws when they matter most. Give me Goff without the ego-driven idea that he is the only way the team can win.

This idea that the Lions never provided Stafford a run game is ridiculous. How many times did they commit to an improved run game? Stafford handicapped those efforts because he always wanted to throw. He would have thrown every single down if he had things completely his way. That is Madden football, not NFL. Goff plays QB with the understanding a balanced offense is better.

The Lions up 20-7 changed to conservative mode and tried to run too often in attempt to milk the clock, but they sucked at that because they never developed a balanced attack due to Stafford always slinging it instead.

Goff wins that game vs Cowboys because he is a better game manager than Stafford, as evidenced by his playoff record.

Ever consider the reason the Lions never had a decent run game was due to Stafford ALWAYS trying to do everything with his arm??? The coaches and players all bought into the idea that wins would only happen if Stafford throws 50+ times.

Goff is flexible, accepting of a balanced offense, and understands how to make throws when they matter most. Give me Goff without the ego-driven idea that he is the only way the team can win.

This idea that the Lions never provided Stafford a run game is ridiculous. How many times did they commit to an improved run game? Stafford handicapped those efforts because he always wanted to throw. He would have thrown every single down if he had things completely his way. That is Madden football, not NFL. Goff plays QB with the understanding a balanced offense is better.

The Lions up 20-7 changed to conservative mode and tried to run too often in attempt to milk the clock, but they sucked at that because they never developed a balanced attack due to Stafford always slinging it instead.

Goff wins that game vs Cowboys because he is a better game manager than Stafford, as evidenced by his playoff record.

Lions never executed a run game consistently. The stats back that up even with more carries in the Patricia era. Blocking or run game would mess up way too often. They didn't produce for Stafford. Stafford HAD to do more than most QBs have to do otherwise the offense wouldn't do anything. Run game could never carry the Lions. Run game carried the Rams before Gurley shredded his knee and now its back with Akers/Henderson

This idea that the Lions never provided Stafford a run game is ridiculous. How many times did they commit to an improved run game? Stafford handicapped those efforts because he always wanted to throw. He would have thrown every single down if he had things completely his way. That is Madden football, not NFL.

These have to be some of the more ridiculous comments I've seen by a non LKP member of this board.

Do you have ANY evidence that we threw so much only because Stafford wanted it that way? I mean ANY. One quote from any interview from any coach or teammate over the course of the last 12 years? Even one.

Or.......and here's a thought.....did all the OC's know that Stafford throwing the ball was always our best bet with a more often than not terrible running game.

Do you know who actually calls plays? You realize it's not Stafford, right? I don't think you do.

It's ok to have different opinions on a player.....and I get that not a lot of people on this board liked Stafford.....but you're making assumptions that make ZERO sense. NONE. I've never heard one bad interview from a coach, teammate, assistant, opponent or media rep that has shed Matthew Stafford in a negative light. Not everyone thinks he's great....but it seems pretty universally accepted that he is a GREAT teammate that puts the team before his personal goals every time.

We cant run the ball consistently because we dont have the oline for it. Pick the OT at #7! i dont care which one. Stop picking fucking RBs in the draft! Fix the oline. Then fix your Defense. Stop picking fucking RBs in the draft....again.

Last edited:
We cant run the ball consistently because we dont have the oline for it. Pick the OT at #7! i dont care which one. Stop picking fucking RBs in the draft! Fix the oline. Then fix your Defense. Stop picking fucking RBs in the draft....again.

All for Sewell. Slater isn't BPA but after a trade down would work

They tried the FA route with Wagner and Vaitai and Lang to complete it but didn't work out. Decker and Ragnow great picks. Jackson looking solid.

Pick Sewell or Slater and make Hughes happy. We have the horses in Swift, Williams and KJ right now for a successful run game. Can Swift become a Kamara. Let's hope too

Sewell will likely be gone, and there are three others that are R1-worthy, but are they P7 worthy? If not, trade down and get more picks and the OT the Lions need.

Sewell will likely be gone, and there are three others that are R1-worthy, but are they P7 worthy? If not, trade down and get more picks and the OT the Lions need.

Is Slater worth pick 7 to be a Right Tackle or Right Guard?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/rashawn-slater/1pKUn4IfC4

Makes it seems like he will fail at tackle unless in West Coast/zone and be more a guard. Lions do need a RG too but already have a failed tackle/guard combo in Big V

Back