Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How do we view Jalen Carter?

Jalen Carter is...

• The best player and pick at 6

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • A blue chipper, but not a fit for the Lions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Talented, but too risky of a character

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Overrated and never deserved to go top 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

everyoneneedsasmil

Coming into the off-season, Jalen Carter was considered a top prospect in the draft (the actual highest rated prospect on a lot of big boards). However, it's not been the best cycle for him. He plead no contest to street racing (which led to the death of a teammate, though not his fault). And after all the legal trouble, he showed up to his pro day heavier and out of shape. On one hand, maybe he doesn't have the drive to work hard all year. On the other, perhaps the immense stress of his legal problems is a one-off cause for this misstep.

So what do you think about him now?

Last edited:
Great talent still. The tape doesn't lie

Lions will vet him and I would hope motivate him

I think we could take a risk on him at 6. The team is in good shape, coaching staff built a great culture and one guy wouldn't ruin it. The team would push Carter too. He won't be getting huge money on a rookie deal but decent size (7 million per). I think he is well worth pick 6 at DT given his talent. The team still would have pick 18, Round 2 and 3 to continue building for long term too. Worth a big swing

If I'm drafting and have pick 6, I don't take a risk on both character and work ethic.

I'd pass over concerns with his mental stability at this time after the whole car crash ordeal and stuff then showing up over weight and gassed he has to be having a hard time dealing with all that in the head. Seek help get your head right.

I would still support the pick due to talent level and need.

Work ethic and character issues are not a death sentence, people are capable of changing. I would also argue that a lot of these young stars probably do dumb/risky shit, we just don?t always hear about it.

If we trust the coaching staff to get the most out of their players, and they are willing to take on the challenge based on interviews, then I would completely understand the pick. I would also hold both sides accountable if it doesn?t work out.

This team is going to vet all the top players like they're running for president. Holmes and Campbell probably know everything there is to know about the kid. I can't see them taking him if they think he has problems that will follow him into the nfl. But, if they see he has control of himself and there are signs to show he can turn things around and be a team guy, I'm sure he would be the pick.

Trust the vetting process. They'll put an X over his name if they have any doubts. Alim, Buggs, Hutch, Commish, the Okwara bros, and James Houston are all pretty good influences. I'd be concerned if he went to Dallas with someone like Micah Parsons.

I would still support the pick due to talent level and need.

Work ethic and character issues are not a death sentence, people are capable of changing. I would also argue that a lot of these young stars probably do dumb/risky shit, we just don?t always hear about it.

If we trust the coaching staff to get the most out of their players, and they are willing to take on the challenge based on interviews, then I would completely understand the pick. I would also hold both sides accountable if it doesn?t work out.

the guy couldn't even finish the drills that he selected to do at his pro day.

The Las Vegas Raiders have reportedly removed Carter from their draft board all together, they will not draft him no matter what. The Raiders!

His teammates are reportedly throwing him under the bus to NFL teams.

The Las Vegas Raiders have reportedly removed Carter from their draft board all together, they will not draft him no matter what. The Raiders!

His teammates are reportedly throwing him under the bus to NFL teams.
If the Raiders say no its a hard pass.

the guy couldn't even finish the drills that he selected to do at his pro day.

But he did try. He could have phoned it in and never let anyone know he's overweight and not conditioned. He could have just stayed off the field and used his legal problems to justify his absence. Instead, he actually put forward an effort. Idk if thats stupidity or pride, but i trust Brad to find out all he needs to know.

Need to trust in Holmes and company. If their evaluation clears, or cancels, so be it.

My only 2 cents -- wasn't he hurt pretty much all last season? And yet he still played instead of sitting out.

If I'm drafting and have pick 6, I don't take a risk on both character and work ethic.

Agree 100%. If there was just one isolated incident, like the car crash, and everything else checked out......character, work ethic, love of the game, good inner circle around him......then he is the pick at 6 if available and I wouldn't think twice. No brainer.

But he has all those red flags. ALL OF THEM. I very honestly wouldn't even consider him unless he was available with our second round 2 pick.

He has Washington Redskins Albert Haynsworth written all over him.

Also not sure how I feel about him not being willing to meet with any teams outside of the top 10 picks, what if a team was pondering to trade up for him? He just basically told them to get bent. I think that is a mistake.

Also not sure how I feel about him not being willing to meet with any teams outside of the top 10 picks, what if a team was pondering to trade up for him? He just basically told them to get bent. I think that is a mistake.

The circle of people around him "advising" him don't seem to be the best. That is obviously just an opinion from an outside observer......but damn, this guy is failing every portion of this off season.

Overweight and out of shape. CHECK.

Bad decisions. CHECK

Bad reports about his work ethic, which he basically confirmed with coming in overweight and out of shape. CHECK

Circle of people around him that don't seem to have his best interests in mind. CHECK

He basically could NOT do worse at the most important time of his career......what is he going to do when you give him MILLIONS of $$$$???

Pass.

The circle of people around him "advising" him don't seem to be the best. That is obviously just an opinion from an outside observer......but damn, this guy is failing every portion of this off season.

Overweight and out of shape. CHECK.

Bad decisions. CHECK

Bad reports about his work ethic, which he basically confirmed with coming in overweight and out of shape. CHECK

Circle of people around him that don't seem to have his best interests in mind. CHECK

He basically could NOT do worse at the most important time of his career......what is he going to do when you give him MILLIONS of $$$$???

Pass.

And if he gets the right coaches that push him to his full potential in a similar way as warren sapp? How pissed would you be if we didn't take a chance at a guy whose potential is hall of fame? His ceiling is higher than anyone at the position in years.

Honestly, we have 2 first round picks and the guys that will be at 6 won't have a fraction of his potential. If Brad thinks he has the ability to mature and follow behind a guy like Dan and learn from the young DL guys we have, i would absolutely support taking him at 6.

If Brad likes him, then take him. We have enough now that we can gamble on players.

If we pass on him and he becomes a superstar somewhere else, we're all going to wish we had. If we take him and he busts, we'll have him for 4 years and still have a damn good team around him. The benefits outweigh the risks.

And if he gets the right coaches that push him to his full potential in a similar way as warren sapp? How pissed would you be if we didn't take a chance at a guy whose potential is hall of fame? His ceiling is higher than anyone at the position in years.

Honestly, we have 2 first round picks and the guys that will be at 6 won't have a fraction of his potential. If Brad thinks he has the ability to mature and follow behind a guy like Dan and learn from the young DL guys we have, i would absolutely support taking him at 6.

If Brad likes him, then take him. We have enough now that we can gamble on players.

If we pass on him and he becomes a superstar somewhere else, we're all going to wish we had. If we take him and he busts, we'll have him for 4 years and still have a damn good team around him. The benefits outweigh the risks.

Sapp was a beast in college. In 12 games as a Jr. he had 10.5 sacks and 84 tackles. He ran a 4.69 40 just prior to the draft.

Carter had 83 tackles and 6 sacks in three seasons at GA.

Carter's comp isn't Warren Sapp, it's Nick Fairley

I'd pick him at 6 simply cause there's no one else worthy of that pick. He'd be by far the best prospect and fill a need.

Skoronski might start over Glasgow?

Wilson would split time with Houston okwara Harris etc

You could take your 4th cb....4th.

You could take a back up qb

Who the fuck else are you selecting?

If he's there at 6 I think you need to take him. If he's not even on your board I think you need to get aggressive and move up.

1)Trade up for Anderson
2)trade back cause pick 6 blows
3) take Carter

You have to do one of these 3 things imo.

Sapp was a beast in college. In 12 games as a Jr. he had 10.5 sacks and 84 tackles. He ran a 4.69 40 just prior to the draft.

Carter had 83 tackles and 6 sacks in three seasons at GA.

Carter's comp isn't Warren Sapp, it's Nick Fairley

Stats aren't everything at that position. He destroys offensive lines and takes two guys out of the picture. Hutchinson, pascal and houston would explode with a guy like that. Even Alim would see a significant boost.

Carter blows up blocks and destroys the pocket routinely and forces RBs to make cuts in the backfield. If a team gets his mind right, he's going to be a star in this league.

I would 100% gamble on him if the Lions trust themselves and him

Back