Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How do we view Jalen Carter?

Jalen Carter is...

• The best player and pick at 6

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • A blue chipper, but not a fit for the Lions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Talented, but too risky of a character

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Overrated and never deserved to go top 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm not comparing Carter to Sapp as players. Didn't think i needed to explain that.

The question I'm pondering more and more is who id take off Carter and aversion are both gone? I think I'd go DE. If you had a choice between tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy or Nolan Smith. Who are you taking?

The question I'm pondering more and more is who id take off Carter and aversion are both gone? I think I'd go DE. If you had a choice between tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy or Nolan Smith. Who are you taking?

Wilson for me.

But not over Carter

Also, I really someone offers us an awesome trade down. I would take an awesome trade down over Carter I think

Assuming we stay at 6 and Young, Stroud and Anderson Jr are all off the board.

Carter would be my first choice followed by Wilson.
#18 best defensive player available and would use the strategy for both 2nd rounders.

Injuries will happen, positional depth will be huge. I would enjoy and feel great watching the Lions w a dominant defense.

This draft is for 2024 and beyond really

We have EDGE depth for 2023, we have CB depth for 2023, we have RB depth for 2023, we have a QB (for 2023, maybe 2024 but need a better backup and future plan), we have safety depth for 2023 given CGJ versatility, we have WR depth with Reynolds I guess now behind Marvin/Jameson, maybe Marvin is the depth with Reynolds in the X some and Jameson in the X some, good Guard/Center depth, do we consider Barnes and Reeves Mabin good LB depth?

DT is not deep but Cominsky/Paschal can play there for passing downs and TE needs an upgrade. Need offensive tackle depth mainly RT over Nelson(Sewell moves to LT if Decker hurt, I guess Vaitai could move to RT and Glasgow to RG.

Last edited:

I watched some highlights on Wilson. He has no get off. He is often the last DL off the ball. And I doubt the Texas Tech coaching staff didn't TRY to get him to be better at that so I'm not going to just ASSUME that NFL coaching will change it.

That being said......one thing I also noticed is absolutely NOBODY solidly engages with him. OL are always at arms length and he seems to shed them easily at times. He's powerful, has some straight line speed for his size, and if he gets his hands on the ball carrier its over.

I honestly haven't even googled Myles Murphy highlights so I have no idea about him.

Nolan Smith.....no. No way. He is a 2nd round talent that ran a great 40 time. Even his "highlight" reel is a collection of plays where he is unblocked or he brings down a RB or QB in space.......which is great......but doesn't make him a 1st round pick.

I love his athleticism.....but he doesn't beat blocks very well at a college level. He's a faster, though smaller, Cliff Avril. Take him at 48? Sure. Not at 6.

I'd go CB if Anderson is gone. No Carter for me. I'd look at Witherspoon if there is not trade down option.

I watched some highlights on Wilson. He has no get off. He is often the last DL off the ball. And I doubt the Texas Tech coaching staff didn't TRY to get him to be better at that so I'm not going to just ASSUME that NFL coaching will change it.

That being said......one thing I also noticed is absolutely NOBODY solidly engages with him. OL are always at arms length and he seems to shed them easily at times. He's powerful, has some straight line speed for his size, and if he gets his hands on the ball carrier its over.

I honestly haven't even googled Myles Murphy highlights so I have no idea about him.

Nolan Smith.....no. No way. He is a 2nd round talent that ran a great 40 time. Even his "highlight" reel is a collection of plays where he is unblocked or he brings down a RB or QB in space.......which is great......but doesn't make him a 1st round pick.

I love his athleticism.....but he doesn't beat blocks very well at a college level. He's a faster, though smaller, Cliff Avril. Take him at 48? Sure. Not at 6.

I'd go CB if Anderson is gone. No Carter for me. I'd look at Witherspoon if there is not trade down option.

With you 100% on Wilson. I love Kancey, but i think he's still a bit too high at 6. Witherspoon is my guy. I don't care if it's too high. He fits this team's mentality and works so hard.

1. Carter (Anderson above him, but no way he falls)
2. Witherspoon
3. Kancey
4. Gonzalez
My order of preference.

I'm on the same page with Wilson. He's soooo slow of the ball.

1 trade up for Anderson
2 trade down with anyone
3 Carter
4 Skoronski. Can start him at RG and have him move to RT if Sewell ever moves to LT
5 Nolan Smith or myles Murphy
6 Witherspoon... drafting our 4th cb in top 10 is not ideal
7 reach for offense. JSN, Quentin Johnston or bijan

Good news is there's alot of options. Bad news is if it's not option 1 or 2 then there's not alot of good options lol.

Last edited:
Back