Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

IT stuff

Meditatedkickaboxa said:
KAWDUP said:
Well I never had an issue with my WIN OS ever (at least 20 years). What is your point?

My point is I have had issues with a shit load of Windows machines, for programming they suck, for engineering they suck, autocad on windows sucks, blue screen of death sucks, buying their software sucks, uprgrading the OS sucks, not having the drivers one you upgrade sucks, shit not working sucks, empoyees waiting to get their computers back sucks, time lost (which means money lost) because comptuers are always broke sucks. having a full time IT guys because windows sucks suck.

I am sure I have more reasons why it sucks, but don't have all day to write them down.

No they don't suck for programming or engineering. If you are having problems, maybe you ought to pick a different profession. Garbage in = garbage out. Always was, always will be. I don't buy their software, I get it for for free, so that doesn't suck either.
Apple OS upgrades too - again what was your point?
Shit not working - see above. IT guys wouldn't go away just because you have MAC - give that up. Networking isn't going to change because you have a MAC. Computers breaking down and not working very rarely have to with the WIN OS which is what I think we were talking about.

The only thing you mention that is truly a problem is the drivers, but it wouldn't be as much of a problem if you didn't have literally thousands of peripherals that will work with the OS.

Go away - you have nothing.

KAWDUP said:
Meditatedkickaboxa said:
My point is I have had issues with a shit load of Windows machines, for programming they suck, for engineering they suck, autocad on windows sucks, blue screen of death sucks, buying their software sucks, uprgrading the OS sucks, not having the drivers one you upgrade sucks, shit not working sucks, empoyees waiting to get their computers back sucks, time lost (which means money lost) because comptuers are always broke sucks. having a full time IT guys because windows sucks suck.

I am sure I have more reasons why it sucks, but don't have all day to write them down.

No they don't suck for programming or engineering. If you are having problems, maybe you ought to pick a different profession. Garbage in = garbage out. Always was, always will be. I don't buy their software, I get it for for free, so that doesn't suck either.
Shit not working - see above. IT guys wouldn't go away just because you have MAC - give that up. Networking isn't going to change because you have a MAC. Computers breaking down and not working very rarely have to with the WIN OS which is what I think we were talking about.

The only thing you mention that is truly a problem is the drivers, but it wouldn't be as much of a problem if you didn't have literally thousands of peripherals that will work with the OS.

Meh...this is similar to the frequent arguments that I have read online about owning foreign vs domestic vehicles, primarily due to the personal experiences one has had (or not) with either or both.

These arguments are un"win"nable and no matter how convincing, very unlikely to change anyone's already made-up mind. Most threads will inevitably end up degrading into personal attacks and insults hurled at each other, in order to "impress" the perceived anonymous "lurkers" who are supposedly reading these threads to see who will "emerge" as the debate winner.

Really don't care if anyone prefers Windows over Macs or vice-versa, as both are proprietary OSes, as opposed to Linux and Unix distros, both of whom have improved to the point that the only reason to own a Mac or Windows OS is due to their compatibility and capability with games (Windows) and music (Macs) . I am not a gamer, nor do I own an iPad, iPod, or iPhone.

Hey I just had to send my computer in because of the nasty virus' I got from opening a link (the one posted in the Sons of Anarchy thread). Anyways, now I am missing Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. and my Linksys USB Network Adapter for my wireless is not being recognized or working

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Under Network Connections there isn't even an Icon for Wireless Internet.

Do you still have the install CD for the wireless network adapter?

Turok said:
KAWDUP said:

Meh...this is similar to the frequent arguments that I have read online about owning foreign vs domestic vehicles, primarily due to the personal experiences one has had (or not) with either or both.

These arguments are un"win"nable and no matter how convincing, very unlikely to change anyone's already made-up mind. Most threads will inevitably end up degrading into personal attacks and insults hurled at each other, in order to "impress" the perceived anonymous "lurkers" who are supposedly reading these threads to see who will "emerge" as the debate winner.

Really don't care if anyone prefers Windows over Macs or vice-versa, as both are proprietary OSes, as opposed to Linux and Unix distros, both of whom have improved to the point that the only reason to own a Mac or Windows OS is due to their compatibility and capability with games (Windows) and music (Macs) . I am not a gamer, nor do I own an iPad, iPod, or iPhone.

I do agree.

I just didn't think this statement:

"It's been years and I haven't had an issue. "

. . . should go unchallenged for exactly the reason you mention. What has your experience with a dozen (even hundreds) or so computers have to do with the reliability or quality of an OS?

BTW - your posts in this thread are excellent.

KAWDUP said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Under Network Connections there isn't even an Icon for Wireless Internet.

Do you still have the install CD for the wireless network adapter?

No CD came with it. I just plugged it in and I believe Windows recgonized it and downloaded the driver. However now its not recgonizing it. Its not even showing up in the Device Manager.

Least I got Microsoft Office back and running. Only problem that remains is my Wireless. The adapter after I plug it in turns on for like 3-4 seconds then the green lights go out. Maybe its broken, but not sure why it would was working three days ago.

I could probably go buy a new one, how much do they run. Just want something simple. Already spent 80 bucks on this old computer.

hey Turok, random question. i played around with linux on my old laptop and liked it, and have been thinking about replacing the win7 starter on my asus netbook with a linux build. do you know of any that work really well for those? i like win7 starter ok (some people hate it), but i still think its too bulky for the atom to run super well.

@zoom do you know what they did to your computer when you sent it in since its also missing a bunch of software?

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Hey I just had to send my computer in because of the nasty virus' I got from opening a link (the one posted in the Sons of Anarchy thread). Anyways, now I am missing Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. and my Linksys USB Network Adapter for my wireless is not being recognized or working

This is a perfect example of why PC owners need to have backups of their OS(es) available in case of infection or HDD fail. There are many free backup software apps available online, but this is what I use for EXTERNAL HDD backups: (including a "RAID 0" configured array of HDDs in my 6 HDD PC)

http://clonezilla.org/

Spockmaster said:
hey Turok, random question. i played around with linux on my old laptop and liked it, and have been thinking about replacing the win7 starter on my asus netbook with a linux build. do you know of any that work really well for those? i like win7 starter ok (some people hate it), but i still think its too bulky for the atom to run super well.

Yes, the following Linux OS has a small footprint and can be run either entirely on the physical memory only using a burned live CD or also can be installed (into its own formatted partition) on a laptop/netbook with a relatively small sized HDD (20 GB or less)

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

can that one be installed via flash drive? my netbook has no CD drive.

edit: first step on the guide says yes. go me! lol

what do you think of ubuntu netbook edition? ubuntu was the distro i used on my previous laptop.

Spockmaster said:
can that one be installed via flash drive? my netbook has no CD drive.

edit: first step on the guide says yes. go me! lol

what do you think of ubuntu netbook edition? ubuntu was the distro i used on my previous laptop.

Dunno about the Ubuntu netbook edition (Ubuntu is a derivative of the Debian Linux OS) but I am currently using Ubuntu Ultimate edition 2.9 with the Gnome desktop. I preferred the KDE window manager in the past (Kubuntu and Slackware), but have gotten used to Gnome. I intend to install Linux Mint next, as I have read that the Gnome "Unity" 3.0 version upgrade is getting bad reviews, and Linux Mint is avoiding that upgrade in their newest versions.

ill probably try ubuntu first. they merged the desktop and netbook editions with the latest build and i liked ubuntu a lot on my other laptop.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Least I got Microsoft Office back and running. Only problem that remains is my Wireless. The adapter after I plug it in turns on for like 3-4 seconds then the green lights go out. Maybe its broken, but not sure why it would was working three days ago.

Do you know how to manually install a new device? Tell the wizard what it is, and see if you can reinstall the driver that way.

When it asks for locations - give it these locations to look at:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I could probably go buy a new one, how much do they run. Just want something simple. Already spent 80 bucks on this old computer.

Not sure if you know the acronym, but if it is a PCI slot in the computer, they run about 30-40 bucks on Amazon. Chain appliance stores don't sem to carry too many any more, but they are still avaialable on-line.

I would think unless you have a newer "N-speed" router, the "G-speed" is what you are looking for.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I could probably go buy a new one, how much do they run. Just want something simple. Already spent 80 bucks on this old computer.

Little late getting to this question, b/c my spouse is on the rag and driving me fucking nuts today..lol!!

Anyway, you could try going into your PC's BIOS, (usually by tapping the F1 key at startup), and reset the hardware by using the menus provided within, then save and reboot using the F10 key, which may help the Windows OS recognize/rediscover the missing wireless hardware connection.

KAWDUP said:
I do agree.

I just didn't think this statement:

"It's been years and I haven't had an issue. "

. . . should go unchallenged for exactly the reason you mention. What has your experience with a dozen (even hundreds) or so computers have to do with the reliability or quality of an OS?

BTW - your posts in this thread are excellent.

Thanks, KAWDUP, and I just noticed that one of the Mac-preferring/boosting members of our ever-growing but still small and fledgling Detroit Sports community here, has unfortunately edited his reply on the first page, and took a HUGE virtual dump on this thread with a large flashing image, that is something that could cause those who are susceptible/prone to having epileptic seizures, to be affected by it, thus, I award him no exaltation point(s) and may gawd have mercy upon his everlasting soul...heh!!

;)

Back