Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

IT stuff

Zoom, what Windows OS do you use and what card do you have? Also, you should pull down combo fix from my first link since that would have had a great shot of killing that virus you had and would have saved some loot.

I agree with Turok on Ubuntu as a great OS and IMO a better alternative than the pay stuff though i keep a Windows OS for a lot of games and stuff too cause i am a big kid.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Windows XP, what do you mean card.

They may have rolled you back to SP1 without upgrades, try to get SP2 and SP3 installed and that might help as i have had issues in the past with SP1 only being installed with wireless adapter which when i do an XP build i max out all crit updates. I meant your external wireless adapter what used to be cards when they were cards but i still use old lingo when i refer to them even though they are not anymore. The drivers may be self contained in the adapter much like my Verizon wireless adapter so that is why it worked the first time. You may also want to look at your device manager which is easy accessed by right clicking the my computer icon and selecting manage and then navigate to device manager which should be in that window. What you are looking for under device manager is anything that has an ! or a ? because that means items in your PC like USB controllers and video and other odds and ends may not have drivers and need them. You should be able to get drivers while on-line with that machine by right clicking, selecting properties and then update drivers which should also let you search Microsoft.

ubuntu installed alright, but every time i try to connect to wireless it freezes (i installed with it hardwired). ive still got it hardwired and i tried searching for different drivers, but no luck so far. ive got no idea how to fix this. my netbook is useless without wireless too.

I have service pack 3 installed again already. Do I need 2 as well or is that covered if I get SP3? Its on the device manager located in Universal Serial Bus Controllers and is named "unkown device". I tried updating the driver, but computer doesnt have it. I agree that its inside the adapter.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I have service pack 3 installed again already. Do I need 2 as well or is that covered if I get SP3? Its on the device manager located in Universal Serial Bus Controllers and is named "unkown device". I tried updating the driver, but computer doesnt have it. I agree that its inside the adapter.

SP3 is good enough.

Since it does exist. Try deleting it. Then reboot.

See if it autoloads again.

Nope still doesn't work. Its missing the drive, so I am guessing the adapter itself has malfunctioned?

So I downloaded the driver from Linksys website, the correct one based on the model # and version. So I update the driver and computer cant find do it.

I guess that would be enough for me to get another one.

". . . find do it." just means ". . . find the network device." Yes or no?

Here is another thing to try, do you have a mouse that is plugged in to a USB port or on that you know works with another device? If so try the adapter in that port. If it is, then it is the USB ports that do not have the drivers which would require you to go to the PC manufacturer site to get them and they should be kinda easy to navigate to with a whole big list of driver downloads based on model.

Yeah it doesn't work in any of the ports tried that already. And my mouse, keyboard, printer, etc. all work in the ports.

Thanks for your help everyone. You all get exalted, lol. Anything I should consider when buying a new wireless adapter?

something odd now, i installed openoffice and it shows up as installed in the programs manager, but i cant find it in applications or open it.

Virtual Windows XP http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

This is for you windows 7 users that have legacy applications that no longer run on the new OS you do not want to replace. I ran in to this while helping someone with QuickBooks 2004 since it does not work on the windows 7 platform and instead of spending the loot on Quickbooks 2010 i installed this which you can launch programs on your windows 7 OS in XP mode.

Back