Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jared Goff

I will be watching lots of Rams games from 2017-2020 next few months.

Last edited:
So he loses cooks...so you give him a pass? Still has kupp woods reynold and van jeffereson. Not to mention higbee and Everett at TE.

He has cephus here. Nice...an entire thread just to prep your "needs moar weapons" built in excuses.

No fuck that...he gets 0 passes. This is the decision holmes made. Put the rebuild on hold a year to bring goff in. Have $0 to build the team. Have 0 draft capital to build the team. You cant say it was a great trade and then start making excuses as to why he is gong to fail miesarbly here. Guess what....then it was a bad trade.

I won't put next season on Goff as I didn't put this last season on Stafford. Our defense is putrid and will not be fixed in one offseason. Quinn decimated the talent on the team. It will take 2-3 offseasons to build the team.

I will wait to see Goff perform on the field and I will judge him according to the talent around him.

I won't put next season on Goff as I didn't put this last season on Stafford. Our defense is putrid and will not be fixed in one offseason. Quinn decimated the talent on the team. It will take 2-3 offseasons to build the team.

I will wait to see Goff perform on the field and I will judge him according to the talent around him.

2 years left on his deal and youre not going to judge him until year 3. Then it wasnt worth trading for him and putting your rebuild on hold a year now was it?

2 years left on his deal and youre not going to judge him until year 3. Then it wasnt worth trading for him and putting your rebuild on hold a year now was it?

I'm not sure you have have good reading comprehension. I literally said I would judge him according to the talent on the field.

Also if we only traded for Goff, I would say it wasn't worth the trade. Look at the trade as a whole. Goff, 2 firsts and a third for an aging injury-risk QB. I liked Stafford as much as anyone but this is the best deal for a QB that announced he wanted out of town.

So he loses cooks...so you give him a pass? Still has kupp woods reynold and van jeffereson. Not to mention higbee and Everett at TE.

He has cephus here. Nice...an entire thread just to prep your "needs moar weapons" built in excuses.

No fuck that...he gets 0 passes. This is the decision holmes made. Put the rebuild on hold a year to bring goff in. Have $0 to build the team. Have 0 draft capital to build the team. You cant say it was a great trade and then start making excuses as to why he is gong to fail miesarbly here. Guess what....then it was a bad trade.

He lost more than Cooks. He lost run game some, some protection (2019) and defensive issues in 2019 too with Wade.

Agree that Goff should have done more. He had good support most times but not great. He needs to fix his turnovers and figure out to win without much support in 2021 because he won't have that in Detroit. Only Swift and Hock and maybe above average protection really. WRS big quetionmark

2021 is a lost year anyways. They tanked offense second Stafford wanted out

Goff has 4 years under contract. They will give him a 2 year chance at least and see if he can without support. We'll see what they do at WR in 2021.

But I will be watching 4 seasons worth of Rams games in coming months to see what he looks like.

Last edited:
He lost more than Cooks. He lost run game some, some protection (2019) and defensive issues in 2019 too with Wade.

Agree that Goff should have done more. He had good support most times but not great. He needs to fix his turnovers and figure out to win without much support in 2021 because he won't have that in Detroit. Only Swift and Hock and maybe above average protection really. WRS big quetionmark

2021 is a lost year anyways. They tanked offense second Stafford wanted out

Goff has 4 years under contract. They will give him a 2 year chance at least and see if he can without support. We'll see what they do at WR in 2021.

But I will be watching 4 seasons worth of Rams games in coming months to see what he looks like.

Yeah, he lost the best RB in the NFL. WRs are not anything special, in fact a couple seasons ago, the Lions had better WRs than the Rams. 2017-18 Lions had Galladay, Golden Tate, and Marvin Jones which were considered about the best trio in the NFL.

Not having a run game and an O Line was always Stafford's biggest burden, he took so many big hits a few of his last seasons, it was honestly hard to watch. Now the Lions actually have a slightly above average NFL O Line trending towards being good and Stafford is leaving.

Goff has 2 years to prove to the Lions he's worth keeping, and even if he looks good in year 1 you still draft a QB if the one you want is there.

Goff is such a small part of this big picture.

He overperforms, shows that he still has talent he once had- great, now you have either a potential starter going forward or trade bait.

He sucks for a couple of years, you pick higher in the draft and then you cut bait.

Hughes man, I don't know why you are so worried about this. All the other deals that teams were offering were total shit compared to this one.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/matthew-stafford-sean-mcvay-celebrate-rams-trade-dinner-mexico

This was driven by McVay...McVay used his Holmes connection to get Stafford, his buddy. Holmes was like, yeah, ok...let's see if my original impression of Goff was right and McVay ruined him. So Holmes fleeced the Rams because of McVay wanting Stafford as opposed to being fleeced because Holmes wanted Goff.

Yeah, he lost the best RB in the NFL. WRs are not anything special, in fact a couple seasons ago, the Lions had better WRs than the Rams. 2017-18 Lions had Galladay, Golden Tate, and Marvin Jones which were considered about the best trio in the NFL.

Not having a run game and an O Line was always Stafford's biggest burden, he took so many big hits a few of his last seasons, it was honestly hard to watch. Now the Lions actually have a slightly above average NFL O Line trending towards being good and Stafford is leaving.

Goff has 2 years to prove to the Lions he's worth keeping, and even if he looks good in year 1 you still draft a QB if the one you want is there.

I still question to what degree the poor run game was due to Stafford. Always the focus was on Stafford's arm winning games, even when he had RBs who were sufficiently good to get 75-100 yards in games. His inability to make good decisions cost good (not great) RBs from being good RBs and they ended up looking like busts.

The biggest problem with the Lions over the past 12 years has been Stafford. Without Stafford, they would have been a better team because another QB would have been better at properly managing games.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/matthew-stafford-sean-mcvay-celebrate-rams-trade-dinner-mexico

This was driven by McVay...McVay used his Holmes connection to get Stafford, his buddy. Holmes was like, yeah, ok...let's see if my original impression of Goff was right and McVay ruined him. So Holmes fleeced the Rams because of McVay wanting Stafford as opposed to being fleeced because Holmes wanted Goff.

If its a fact we're going to be absolute trash until atleast 2023.. I'm not sure you can say we fleeced anyone.

You are given the option between 2 QBs...one who in 12 years went 0-3 in the playoffs and one who is 2-2 in the playoffs in 4 years.

Which one do you choose?

Regardless what the playoff records were I'd take Goff easy. I got tire of Matt.

You are given the option between 2 QBs...one who in 12 years went 0-3 in the playoffs and one who is 2-2 in the playoffs in 4 years.

Which one do you choose?

I'd take Goff, 2 firsts and a 3rd

I would take the #8 pick over both choices.

#8 would have been sweet. #7 and #8 would have been great lots of ammo to trade back.

#8 would have been sweet. #7 and #8 would have been great lots of ammo to trade back.

Not that the Jags are willing, but would you trade both of those plus the 2022 R1 for Trevor Lawrence?

What is more valuable, 2 R1 picks or TL???

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how many of you think other teams needing QBs would be happy with getting Goff as opposed to drafting an unknown QB?

I think I would prefer rolling with a QB who has lead their team to a Super Bowl. Stafford never did that.

Yeah, Goff had enough support from his D to make that happen...but you forget how good the D was back when Suh was on the D.

There are no excuses for Stafford not winning a playoff game in 12 years.

Back