Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jehovah's Witnesses

Let's see.

A group run by a central figurehead. Said group must obey the rules of the figurehead and his council. Said group has control over your 'soul', so do as they say and everything will be fine, disobey and you will burn in hell. Same penalty for leaving said group.

Sounds a lot like a cult to me.

not to threadjack my own thread, but did you see my post on the Port Huron Float Down? thoughts? I figure you're the poster in closest proximity to it...

Let's see.

A group run by a central figurehead. Said group must obey the rules of the figurehead and his council. Said group has control over your 'soul', so do as they say and everything will be fine, disobey and you will burn in hell. Same penalty for leaving said group.

Sounds a lot like a cult to me.

So that's a 'yes' then.

And the world, and the world, and the world...drags me down.

Disagree. Islam is almost the exact same as Christianity, but modern Christians have abandoned the fucked up part of their religion. Islam has not.

Mormonism is the most fucked up, followed by Scientology. Mormons may be okay people, but their religion is easily proven to be false. Scientology is even easier to disprove.

christianity is easy to disprove as well, unless you can produce a boat capable of carrying every species on the planet

christianity is easy to disprove as well, unless you can produce a boat capable of carrying every species on the planet

1dpl3581-prd-image.jpg

Well that's impossible. Anything large enough to do the job would be a ship, not a boat.

What's the difference between a cult and a religion?

The number of members.

That's more accurate of a description Tinsel, but most people would just say it's whether or not they give out Kool-Aid at the end. :hehe:

Maybe it's the door to door visits handing out pamplets? That's only a guess..

There is a baptist church around here that leaves flyers in the door crack all the time. I guess that makes them a cult too.

That's more accurate of a description Tinsel, but most people would just say it's whether or not they give out Kool-Aid at the end. :hehe:

Actually Catholicism gives out wine or a daily or weekly basis.

And wine is definitely better than the Kool-Aid.

So I guess I could say Catholicism might be a little better.

Although I prefer my booze without the rest of the hocus pocus.

Maybe it's the door to door visits handing out pamplets? That's only a guess..

What would you call the pope that goes country to country? Door to door on a much larger scale. I've had visits from three different churches in the last month, one of whom was catholic. My mailbox is flooded with invites to church or church functions on a weekly basis.

Half true. Easy to disprove, but since we don't know the true authors of the bible are, we have to disprove their stories. Too bad God can make anything happen and break the laws of physics.

On the other hand, we know who created mormonism (a man with a history of scams) and scientology (a fiction-sci-fi writer who talked about creating a religion). Look at the authors and you can easily call bullshit. Oh, or stab a mormon while they wear the magic underwear. That should end it.

What would you call the pope that goes country to country? Door to door on a much larger scale. I've had visits from three different churches in the last month, one of whom was catholic. My mailbox is flooded with invites to church or church functions on a weekly basis.

I wasn't serious with that post. Sorry I wasn't clear..

In your original thread, champ, I made note of how all the Kingdom Hall's I've passed were windowless. Well I was actually speaking to a student of mine today who grew up in a Witness household and I asked him why. To anyone who cares there is apparently no religious significance, but is done as it helps to cut down on some degree of vandalism. Sure it could still be tagged with graffiti, but I do suppose it's pretty difficult to firebomb a windowless brick building.

Seriously? Where? That is the first time I've ever heard of Catholics going door to door. Ever.

Seriously? Where? That is the first time I've ever heard of Catholics going door to door. Ever.

They somewhat did my house this year as well. Though it was actually the Right To Life pledge drive, but they were run by the local Catholic Church. They were handing out literature as well.

Not like it was the priest or anything. Just an invite to join them at some event. Said I was an atheist and, to their credit, they were polite and left the invitation open.

Not like it was the priest or anything. Just an invite to join them at some event. Said I was an atheist and, to their credit, they were polite and left the invitation open.

Actually when I told the Right To Life people I was Pro-Choice, they were pretty cool about it too. I think one lady said "oh, that's too bad, well have a nice afternoon" which is better then it could have been.

Back