Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jehovah's Witnesses

Not like it was the priest or anything. Just an invite to join them at some event. Said I was an atheist and, to their credit, they were polite and left the invitation open.

Yeah. I've never heard of any Catholic doing this. Inviting people they know, yes. Cold calling door to door...new to me. I'm not doubting you. I've heard stories from Iowa of Catholics starting to act like other denominations. There's plenty of variation. But I've never heard of this happening before.

Just did some googling. Looks like it's something that started popping up in 2012 with a spike in October 2013. I've always liked being in a denomination that's not pushy.

Actually when I told the Right To Life people I was Pro-Choice, they were pretty cool about it too. I think one lady said "oh, that's too bad, well have a nice afternoon" which is better then it could have been.

In my experience, the ones who get upset are the ones who have some message to give and they find out that I have no interest in listening to anything past their opening lines.

They somewhat did my house this year as well. Though it was actually the Right To Life pledge drive, but they were run by the local Catholic Church. They were handing out literature as well.

So that's Michigan and California. The oldest article I found was from Minnesota and I saw St. Louis in one of the headlines too. While there aren't many articles, the fact that 2 people from the board have run into it suggests it's actually pretty common.

... I've always liked being in a denomination that's not pushy.

Hmmm...

spanish-inquisition2.jpg

Have you considered becoming a Baha'i? That may actually be more to your liking.

If I thought like that, I'd probably have to renounce my American citizenship over slavery.

except the Catholic Church never actually ended the Inquisition itself. Link.

in fact, the Vatican still maintains the office, but they changed the name to "Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith."

in fact, the Vatican still maintains the office, but they changed the name to "Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith."

I wasn't expecting The Congregation the Doctrine of the Faith.

Good point. I now think the inquisition is a current event.

Good point. I now think the inquisition is a current event.

:hmm:

so now you see why the analogy:

United States is to Slavery
as
Catholic Church is to Inquisition

...is not apt, right?

The United States fought the deadliest war in its history over the issue (well, among a few), and formally outlawed it through the XIII Amendment.

The Catholic Church was still conducting the Inquisition right up until liberal revolutions & the changes in public opinion the brought forced secular authorities to ban the Inquisition within their borders, and the Church never formally outlawed it. It was not due to any effort on the Church's part.

:hmm:

so now you see why the analogy:

United States is to Slavery
as
Catholic Church is to Inquisition

...is not apt, right?

The United States fought the deadliest war in its history over the issue (well, among a few), and formally outlawed it through the XIII Amendment.

The Catholic Church was still conducting the Inquisition right up until liberal revolutions & the changes in public opinion the brought forced secular authorities to ban the Inquisition within their borders, and the Church never formally outlawed it. It was not due to any effort on the Church's part.

It is apt. You're crazy to think that I should base my feelings about whether other Catholics are pushy or not on the inquisition. The distinction you are trying to make is completely irrelevant to the matter of people going door-to-door and how pushy we tend to be. Nobody is deciding to go door-to-door because of their knowledge of how the inquisition ended.

Sounds to me like he's saying Catholics are going door-to-door or evangelizing (even though they're not really) because they never actually ended the inquisition - they're just adapting to laws of whatever jurisdiction they're in. Equally ridiculous, but that seems to be the distinction.

I've never heard of Catholics going door-to-door (other than Christmas Carolers) and I wouldn't call the Right to Life campaign Catholic evangelism - they're promoting life, not recruiting folks to the Church. The pro-life movement isn't exclusively Catholic or even exclusively religious.

Last edited:
We have a Jovahs hall down the street along with 2-3 other churches. Had one of the churches send over a hot young woman to let us know about mass times. Born and raised catholic, but do not attend/worship. Catholics...we know how to do it. No crazy weirdos to your door...we send the hot 20 year old.

lol

We have a Jovahs hall down the street along with 2-3 other churches. Had one of the churches send over a hot young woman to let us know about mass times. Born and raised catholic, but do not attend/worship. Catholics...we know how to do it. No crazy weirdos to your door...we send the hot 20 year old.

lol

Sooo...you're pimps? :cheers:

I've never heard of Catholics going door-to-door (other than Christmas Carolers) and I wouldn't call the Right to Life campaign Catholic evangelism - they're promoting life, not recruiting folks to the Church. The pro-life movement isn't exclusively Catholic or even exclusively religious.

I never said it was exclusively Catholic. Just that the literature they handed out while asking for spare change to fill plastic baby bottles was marked with the local Catholic church's name, address, and mass schedule.

It also was not a priest or nuns that came to the door, and I didn't imply such either, but I would call them representatives of the Catholic Church.

I never said it was exclusively Catholic. Just that the literature they handed out while asking for spare change to fill plastic baby bottles was marked with the local Catholic church's name, address, and mass schedule.

It also was not a priest or nuns that came to the door, and I didn't imply such either, but I would call them representatives of the Catholic Church.

I never said you did. i was talking to Blue who said 2 people from the board had run into Catholics soliciting door to door. he didn't mention your comment specifically but i assumed your experience was one of the two.

so, the other day I was driving by this Kingdom Hall while they were getting out of their mass, or whatever, and there were a surprisingly large amount of cute female Jehovah's witnesses walking out, including two I would consider "drop dead gorgeous." I didn't expect that.

If I was not happily married, I might consider joining. the dudes looked like a bunch of total schlubs... I'd have my run of the place. I would make love to all Jehovah's ladies.

whaddya think of that?

Back