Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

John U. Bacon - Eyewitness Reports From MSU

This part of Bacon's post is fucked up:
the Big Ten has been far less responsive. When the conference announced it was investigating the incident, commissioner Kevin Warren, whose son plays for Michigan State, should have recused himself immediately. Instead, not a peep from his office.

In the two weeks since, we haven?t heard anything from the Big Ten?s investigation, either ? an investigation that would take a competent journalist about two days to complete, not two weeks. The incident was bad but it wasn?t complicated, and lasted only a minute.

In the past two weeks I?ve found out more than I wanted to without trying. A number of witnesses have reached out, unsolicited, including two sideline workers who have sent letters to the Big Ten describing what they heard from the MSU players, staffers, and coaches during the game. Frustrated with the Big Ten?s lack of a response, they sent copies to me this week.

If you read teh RCMB, MSU fans have been posting all these insane theories about what went down, while whining that UM gets preferential treatment, etc. etc. Turns out the Big Ten might be doing them a favor here because of that conflict of interest.

Also, the second part I bolded, is interesting. The people reaching out to Bacon did so only after the Big Ten dropped the ball, not out of sour grapes or some absurd "anti-MSU bias"... they are sincerely upset by MSU's behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mods, is this ok?

as long as you're a michigan fan and don't tell the truth about the post office, anything goes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call BS on this sideline crap - that whole field is mic'd and covered by tons of TV cameras on top of all the cell phone cameras. If this talk was happening, there would be digital evidence of it - and evidence of it on the field. There is none - this Bacon piece is just another partisan hit job and he's another hack uofm lackey like 99% of the uofm fans on this board and elsewhere.

Last edited:
So you also think it's possible that a Michigan player started that whole mess like that quack lawyer defending 1 of the spartan players said?

I don?t know anything about what one quack lawyer defending one Spartan said. What I saw on the video of the tunnel incident looks unjustified in any circumstance, and the facts are the facts - eight Spartans have been disciplined, and potential criminal charges are being reviewed by the Washtenaw County prosecutor?s office.

Also nutty doctors are called quacks. Here is a list of derogatory names for lawyers.

as long as you're a michigan fan and don't tell the truth about the post office, anything goes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call BS on this sideline crap - that whole field is mic'd and covered by tons of TV cameras on top of all the cell phone cameras. If this talk was happening, there would be digital evidence of it - and evidence of it on the field. There is none - this Bacon piece is just another partisan hit job and he's another hack uofm lackey like 99% of the uofm fans on this board and elsewhere.

go ahead and call BS. No one here values your opinion, and you have no credibility, so it really doesn't matter.

It's not partisan to point out the fact that the Big Ten hasn't issued a comment & have a huge conflict of interest in Warren's kid playing for MSU. If MSU isn't getting a pass because of that, then the ball's in the Big Ten's court to issue a statement explaining why not. Like he said, this is not a complicated issue.

AND beyond all that... I know not all MSU fans are trying to defend the gang beatings you can see in the videos, but a lot of them are. LIKE who fucking does that? You see vids of 6 on 1 (or worse) beatings, and the guy's turtling and trying to protect his head while they keep wailing away on him, and you think there's anything there to defend that?

Talk about whataboutism...? makes me assume a lot of MSU fans are "that guy" that jumps on the pile or walks up to kick the guy in the head when the fight's already over...

go ahead and call BS. No one here values your opinion, and you have no credibility, so it really doesn't matter.

It's not partisan to point out the fact that the Big Ten hasn't issued a comment & have a huge conflict of interest in Warren's kid playing for MSU. If MSU isn't getting a pass because of that, then the ball's in the Big Ten's court to issue a statement explaining why not. Like he said, this is not a complicated issue.

AND beyond all that... I know not all MSU fans are trying to defend the gang beatings you can see in the videos, but a lot of them are. LIKE who fucking does that? You see vids of 6 on 1 (or worse) beatings, and the guy's turtling and trying to protect his head while they keep wailing away on him, and you think there's anything there to defend that?

Talk about whataboutism...? makes me assume a lot of MSU fans are "that guy" that jumps on the pile or walks up to kick the guy in the head when the fight's already over...

There?s two separate things - there?s the John U. Bacon allegations, which I?m not going to assume are true - the might be; they also might be Spartan haters trying to capitalize on the negative image of the tunnel event by making shit up, and there?s the tunnel event that we all saw the video of that is undeniable.

Gotta keep the two things separate.

One is undeniable, the other is hearsay/speculation.

Mods, is this ok?

I am not a Mod, but I think this is okay if you are a Michigan fan posting on the Michigan board (as Vic is for many years). If you are a visitor to the Michigan board, then no it is not okay. Visitors should be respectful when they visit other's houses. Unfortunately, Sparty and their fans have not learned this basic life lesson.

There?s two separate things - there?s the John U. Bacon allegations, which I?m not going to assume are true - the might be; they also might be Spartan haters trying to capitalize on the negative image of the tunnel event by making shit up, and there?s the tunnel event that we all saw the video of that is undeniable.

Gotta keep the two things separate.

One is undeniable, the other is hearsay/speculation.

the allegations? the only allegations are third party here & he's passing along, with the qualification that the people making them told him only after notifying the Big Ten and getting no response. He's obviously personally a fan of the program, but you can be a fan and be objective at the same time, and given his reputation, I give him more credibility than - say - a strip mall lawyer in CA who went to MSU.

There are facts: Warren's kid plays for MSU, and the Big Ten has yet to do shit about this, or even issue a statement on what they're doing, more than 2 weeks after it occurred.

I assume at this point the Big Ten has "spoken by staying quiet," and doesn't want to see players - especially those on the commissioner's kid's team - facing criminal charges for something they did while wearing their uniform (albeit after the final whistle).

we'll have to drop charges and tell the Washtenaw DA to back off, or risk facing a lot of "blowback" from the conference.

I just don't see this as a criminal offense. We see this kind of shit on the field after or during a game and they don't get charged...I don't see a difference. Suspend them or kick them off the team.

the allegations? the only allegations are third party here & he's passing along, with the qualification that the people making them told him only after notifying the Big Ten and getting no response. He's obviously personally a fan of the program, but you can be a fan and be objective at the same time, and given his reputation, I give him more credibility than - say - a strip mall lawyer in CA who went to MSU.

There are facts: Warren's kid plays for MSU, and the Big Ten has yet to do shit about this, or even issue a statement on what they're doing, more than 2 weeks after it occurred.

Yes, I thought it would have been obvious those were what I meant by allegations.

I don?t know how a conference would typically respond to a thing of this nature, it doesn?t really happen very often.

Perhaps the conference believed that MSU itself responded swiftly and decisively enough that it was sufficient.

I?m kind of over it.

I?m thinking about the next two Michigan football games.

I?m not particularly concerned about the declining two loss in a row, now unranked Illinois football team.

I just don't see this as a criminal offense. We see this kind of shit on the field after or during a game and they don't get charged...I don't see a difference. Suspend them or kick them off the team.

They are suspended.

I read an article it said that the police are done with their investigation and have turned a report over to the county prosecutor, who will make their decision to proceed or not.

I am not a Mod, but I think this is okay if you are a Michigan fan posting on the Michigan board (as Vic is for many years). If you are a visitor to the Michigan board, then no it is not okay. Visitors should be respectful when they visit other's houses. Unfortunately, Sparty and their fans have not learned this basic life lesson.

What did I say that was in any way shitty? Not a damn thing

What exactly is it that you think the big ten should do before the investigation is finished? All of the kids that were shown in the video were immediately suspended by the team pending the conclusion of the investigation. What else would the conference do until then?

What exactly is it that you think the big ten should do before the investigation is finished? All of the kids that were shown in the video were immediately suspended by the team pending the conclusion of the investigation. What else would the conference do until then?

Well, as the authority overseeing the conference, certainly they should do SOMETHING, right? like at least investigate it themselves and announce that, or condemn gang-style beatings of opposing players.

you never had an authority figure, role model, or even just an adult you could look up to in your life?

Well, as the authority overseeing the conference, certainly they should do SOMETHING, right? like at least investigate it themselves and announce that, or condemn gang-style beatings of opposing players.

you never had an authority figure, role model, or even just an adult you could look up to in your life?

Why can't you just have an actual discussion without the lame attempt at humor?

This place has become the RCMB of UofM sports. It wasn't always like this, but good lord has it changed. It's too bad, I still like the few original posters that aren't so maize blinded and can have Civil banter. Oh well, guess I'll leave the rest of you to go back to fluffing eachother. Good luck on the rest of the season and MSU dedicated threads.

But it certainly is partisan to take unsubstantiated accusations and run with them without seeing a single shred of evidence to validate them.

And what free pass are they getting? the incident is still being investigated and reviewed. Unlike uofm, which is a shamelessly corrupt organization, MSU suspended the athletes involved immediately and indefinitely pending the outcome of the investigation - not a single coach has defended what happened in the tunnel. If it were uofm players, it would be investigated with no transparency, if at all and the university would issue the suspensions after the players had graduated or used up all of their eligibility and can no longer kick field goals or do any eye gouging or twisting helmets of defenseless players - or point shave.

Last edited:

at least you're honest about the double standard of uofm fans who think their classless fans and coaches walk on water - it's every other program in the country that has the problems.

Last edited:
at least you're honest about the double standard of uofm fans who think their classless fans and coaches walk on water - it's every other program in the country that has the problems.

I?ll just pretend these threads don?t exist on the MSU forum. Nothing like treating wins by your arch rival over a little brother program like it?s a Super Bowl

http://detroitsportsforum.com/showthread.php?t=31406

Back