Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Re-Sign Okwara

detroit1811

Lions re-signed DE Romeo Okwara to a three-year, $39 million contract.

I would expect there to be some "funny money" in that deal. That or there is a reasonable out after year 1.

Good move. People can stop complaining some now

We will see on details..but we got a good pass rusher back

Agreed, I like the fact he was undrafted because it takes one hell of a work ethic for those guys to stick around and make something of themselves. It is a lot less likely for those guys to fall off after a big deal, IMO.

Money was a little higher then I anticipated, but my guess is the guaranteed cash is not very high and if his play falls off they can get out of the deal in 2021 with a low dead cap number

From undrafted to one of the best DE’s in the league. Preciate you for showing me the ropes, now let’s take over����!
@RomeoND45

Tweet from Julian Okwara. I honestly think keeping these two together only increases the chance of them both being good players for us. They will be competing with each other to get better the next few years. Julian has better physical tools then Romeo, and can be a good player if he can put them together.

From undrafted to one of the best DE?s in the league. Preciate you for showing me the ropes, now let?s take over����!
@RomeoND45

Tweet from Julian Okwara. I honestly think keeping these two together only increases the chance of them both being good players for us. They will be competing with each other to get better the next few years. Julian has better physical tools then Romeo, and can be a good player if he can put them together.

One of the best DE's in the league :lmao:

He was in 2020 based on pressure rates and sacks. Romeo not the type to slack but hopefully not a one year wonder

New regime picked him with decent sized money. Bq got him cheap

Last edited:
Chris Burke
@ChrisBurkeNFL
?
34m
Can confirm the Romeo Okwara re-signing. The deal is worth up to $39M with incentives, according to a league source, so we'll see how the final numbers land. Still could be fairly team-friendly in 2021.

Hearing former Rams S John Johnson's free agent market is taking shape. Lions, Eagles, Jags and Browns all showing interest

Hearing former Rams S John Johnson's free agent market is taking shape. Lions, Eagles, Jags and Browns all showing interest

Really hope we get Johnson. Johnson and Walker would be fine. Heck draft one too. I don't want to see Will Harris other than special teams 4th safety

Right thing to do unless you felt confident banking on Julian to step up. But i would say we got an average pass rusher back who had a good contract year.

Benjamin Allbright
@AllbrightNFL
?
14m
They're looking on the defensive side. Know that have an eye on the safety market.

They inquired about John Johnson, but I think he winds up in Detroit.
Quote Tweet
Case
@CaseyBergin
? 18m
@AllbrightNFL is there any big name FA rumored to have any traction with Cleveland?

Right thing to do unless you felt confident banking on Julian to step up. But i would say we got an average pass rusher back who had a good contract year.

And if this front office is smart they will have planned for that possibility by not locking themselves into a 3 year deal they can't get out of early if necessary. You can't pay average players 13mil AAV.

And if this front office is smart they will have planned for that possibility by not locking themselves into a 3 year deal they can't get out of early if necessary. You can't pay average players 13mil AAV.

Incentives made it 39 million. Also that is 22nd in DE/OLB rank in terms of average. I am sure they wont be locked in for 3 years.

Incentives made it 39 million. Also that is 22nd in DE/OLB rank in terms of average. I am sure they wont be locked in for 3 years.

Correct. In actuality is could be closer to a 3 year 27mil with 12mil in unlikely to be earned incentives. I'll reserve judgement until the details come out, but my guess is it will be relatively team friendly with an out in 2022 (maybe in the form of a roster bonus that is guaranteed if he is on the roster by the start of the 2022 league year).

More details on Romeo Okwara's three-year, $39 million deal with the #Lions:

* $14M signing bonus
* $26M over the first 2 years
* $20M fully guaranteed at signing
* Another $5M guaranteed for injury that becomes fully guaranteed next March

Indicative of his strong market.

They said he had a really strong market. Still the early numbers surprise me quite a bit. The signing bonus alone essentially locks him into 2022, and at 26mil over two years that means 12mil in base salary or roster bonuses between this year and next. It says there is a 5mil roster bonus due next year so that would leave another 7mil. My guess he is going to get close to the minimum in base salary this year would would put his cap number close to 6mil. That means he probably counts for around 16mil cap hit in 2022.

The Lions are probably better off over paying a little to keep any player that is willing to stay because they are going to have to significantly over pay a player from another team to go to Detroit.

Okwara really needs to be opposite from a stud in order to be used correctly. He can set the edge well. Is Flowers that guy?...probably not. But youre locked into both of them this year now so i guess thats what they are rolling with. Next year an upgrade for Flowers is important (and hopefully cheaper).

Now we need 2 DTs, 2 LBs, a third CB and a S lol. No biggie.

Back