Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Martinez can't catch & Peralta rested!

Interesting stat here. The Tigers have used 93 different lineups in 115 games this season.

kgdetroit said:
Interesting stat here. The Tigers have used 93 different lineups in 115 games this season.

Baseball reference has them at 84.

Indians - 83
NY - 50
CWS - 54
tex- 86
Balt - 58

Some of the reason for the Tigers would be starters losing their jobs. Inge, Rhymes, Raburn have all lost their spots as starters.

I'm not sure you can draw many conclusions from the number of line ups a team has. The Yanks have few, but so do the underachieving WSox. And the truly horrible O's only have 58, too. Texas has more than the Tigers, and they are in first, also.

Thanks for the correction, I was getting my stats from a media report so I'm not sure where they came from but I'm confident baseball reference is correct. I don't know what conclusions can be drawn one way or the other, I think if you're a bad team and you roll out the same lineup for 162 games or a different one every day you're gonna be bad regardless. I thought it was an interesting stat nonetheless with all of the lineup discussion going on.

JimRice said:
kgdetroit said:

Baseball reference has them at 84.

Indians - 83
NY - 50
CWS - 54
tex- 86
Balt - 58

Some of the reason for the Tigers would be starters losing their jobs. Inge, Rhymes, Raburn have all lost their spots as starters.

I'm not sure you can draw many conclusions from the number of line ups a team has. The Yanks have few, but so do the underachieving WSox. And the truly horrible O's only have 58, too. Texas has more than the Tigers, and they are in first, also.

Good info

JimRice seems to always know what he's talking about. Good stuff.

The whole offense needs a rest, we have probably the slowest team in the league and we aren't hitting for any power, that isn't a good sign for the rest of the season. I think we can still hang on and win this division but is this how we want to continue for the next few seasons? We need to figure out if Jackson can be a legitimate lead-off man and CF, we need a young athletic 2b and I would like to see Dirks in LF next year. This team could really use Reyes at SS w/ Peralta at 2b or 3b but it won't happen because he is going to get a huge contract from someone.

my biggest concern right now is whats up with Cabrera. he's hardly been hitting for power lately and he's hitting into TONS of DPs.

Spockmaster said:
my biggest concern right now is whats up with Cabrera. he's hardly been hitting for power lately and he's hitting into TONS of DPs.

Putting too much pressure on himself? In need of a break? Something else?

randyf10 said:
The whole offense needs a rest, we have probably the slowest team in the league and we aren't hitting for any power, that isn't a good sign for the rest of the season. I think we can still hang on and win this division but is this how we want to continue for the next few seasons? We need to figure out if Jackson can be a legitimate lead-off man and CF, we need a young athletic 2b and I would like to see Dirks in LF next year. This team could really use Reyes at SS w/ Peralta at 2b or 3b but it won't happen because he is going to get a huge contract from someone.

I think Jackson is not a lead off hitter. I like him as a player, and he should get better offensively, but he'll never be a high OBP guy, in my opinion.

I don't think Dirks is an everyday player. But I do think they can get by with Dirks/Raburn in an outfield spot, considering the offense they are going to get from the catcher spot. And hopefully SS with Peralta.

I agree that Reyes would be nice and also agree the Tigers won't get him.

I think the team just needs a high OBP guy at second and the offense would be set.

I'm more worried about the development, or lack of development, of Porcello and Scherzer.

Another "B" lineup by Leyland in the most important series to date. ...lol. Fucking priceless. Let's give Leyland 2 more years for this. What a fucking joke.

Spockmaster said:

He doesn't have a homer in the last two weeks. I guess it depends how you want to slice the sample you look at. With power hitters, most are streaky, so I like to look at it month by month. He's still hitting .333 over that time, and 5 GIDP have happened in the last two weeks.

Honestly, I think it's just a slump.

JimRice said:
Spockmaster said:

He doesn't have a homer in the last two weeks. I guess it depends how you want to slice the sample you look at. With power hitters, most are streaky, so I like to look at it month by month. He's still hitting .333 over that time, and 5 GIDP have happened in the last two weeks.

I guess most of us expected better numbers out of him this year with the kind of protection he has in the linup.

He is on pace for a new career high in GIDP, I know his line numbers are very good, but it still seems as if he is not himself.

i think Jackson, much like Curtis Granderson is a leadoff hitter by default. Detroit doesnt have anything close to a lead off hitter in the organization right now. Jackson would be a good guy to have batting somewhere along the lines of 7-9 if he developes properly. Detroit is in need of a lead off AND 2 hitter.I like Cabby,Victor, Boesch as the 3,4,5. You cant assume a guy is a leadoff hitter because he's fast.

MI_Thumb said:
JimRice said:

I guess most of us expected better numbers out of him this year with the kind of protection he has in the linup.

He is on pace for a new career high in GIDP, I know his line numbers are very good, but it still seems as if he is not himself.

Maybe it is lingering from the hbp by masterson back in June?, the twinge in his side during a swing in the all-star game at bat, or his weight, or having the dui cloud on his mind.
It could also be that for much of the season, the 1/2/3 spots haven't produced that much in ave/obp/ being on base for him.

MI_Thumb said:
JimRice said:

Yeah, third highest OPS of his career so far.

The protection has surely given him a handful of extra at bats where he would have been intentionally walked before, but I don't think pitchers are exactly grooving them down the middle of the plate.

Well, turned out the lineup was not the problem yesterday...they showed something coming back from 4-0...too bad the pitching could not hold it at 4-3.

tycobb420 said:
Well, turned out the lineup was not the problem yesterday...they showed something coming back from 4-0...too bad the pitching could not hold it at 4-3.

Well yes and no as far as yesterday.

Raburns RBI triple was nice, but he never should have been batting in that inning.

I can't believe they gave Vmart a hit on that play, and I would not be surprised to see the official scorer change it by game time.

MI_Thumb said:
tycobb420 said:

Well yes and no as far as yesterday.

Raburns RBI triple was nice, but he never should have been batting in that inning.

I can't believe they gave Vmart a hit on that play, and I would not be surprised to see the official scorer change it by game time.

Have to take advantage!

Doesn't make sense to rest players in the biggest series of the year, so far. Especially with a series against the Orioles coming up.

Back