Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MBA

zoombabyzoom

Hey guys/girls/glover,

I am seriously looking into getting my MBA (online only). And was wondering if anyone knew the best schools to do so. I've looked at quite a few (Kaplan, Alliance, Phoenix, Wayne State, Southeast Missiouri State, Eastern Michigan, etc.)

Main priorities is 25K or less and they need to be great at job placement/career assistance.

Hmmm....I guess my first question for you is do you want an MBA just to say you have an MBA? If so, then go with the cheapest and easiest solution out there. However if you're looking for quality I would stick to a "real" school. In other words take your online courses through Wayne, EMU, or what have you. I most recently worked in a For-Profit institution's financial aid department and can tell you that the quality is sub-par and the promises are typically way off. When I say For-Profit I'm referencing Kaplan and Phoenix (and I'm assuming Alliance as I've never heard of them). They are generally after your money with less concern about your education in addition to what you do with your degree once obtained. In fact the Fed has a lot of those schools under scrutiny and there's a push to have federal funding, in the form of Federal Direct student loans and Pell grants, revoked from those types of institutions.

Again, it boils down to what you're looking for Zoom. If you've got a gig already and they say "get an MBA and we will give you a raise." Fuck it, do what's best/easiest, but in my humble opinion a traditional school, be it online or on-campus, is the way to go.

I want to get a MBA to get my career on track. I agree that a traditional brick and mortar school is what I need, but still don't know which is the best bang for my buck.

I have never heard a good thing about an online program, period.

well... except from the schools making money off it.

Kaplan, Phoenix, DeVry, or whatever... that's not "bang for the buck." That's really no bang for a lot of bucks.

Yea, I don't want to get involved in those online schools just trying to make money off of it.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Yea, I don't want to get involved in those online schools just trying to make money off of it.

I have a friend who finished his MBA at Wayne, he did most of his classes online, some on campus. He seemed to like it and it did help him get a job. Other than that I can't comment but to say choose the brick over the cyber degree.

Well it sounds like you've at least decided against Kaplan, Phoenix, etc...which I'm just some guy on a message board, but being that I was on the inside of a similar institution I think you've made a wise decision. As far as your other schools go I can't speak to their merit, but I wish you good luck zoom...

the most important part of education from a job standpoint is the connections you make with fellow students.

I don't imagine you make as many connections studying online...

Actually from what I have read about online MBAs you actually have to talk with your classmates and do projects with them. Additionally that is why a big part of picking the right school will be finding one that has great Job Placement/Assistance.

My Bachelor's Degree has earned me nothing in this world. Im stuck making 28,000 managing a restaurant. I deserve better with all of my experience, knowledge, education, drive, IQ, etc, etc.

My bachelors got me Jack as well. I had to go back to school to get anything and like what was said above I got ahead through the connections I made, so score one against online. That being said I think you have to spend significant face time with the Wayne MBA, like you were thinking.

The only place within an hour of me that has a MBA program is UofM or Eastern. UofM way too expensive and I have heard some real bad things about Eastern's teaching staff

if you're not willing to relocate to attend the best program you can get into, you probably shouldn't get an MBA. it's not going to be the magic bullet to a better career you are thinking it is. You'll just end up doing the same thing you were before, only with a lot more debt.

MichChamp02 said:
if you're not willing to relocate to attend the best program you can get into, you probably shouldn't get an MBA. it's not going to be the magic bullet to a better career you are thinking it is. You'll just end up doing the same thing you were before, only with a lot more debt.

This is a true statement. You have to go whole assed. I know you are probably trying to work at you current job and get your MBA and that may be the easiest route but I agree with MC its probably not the best.

If I relocate that means I become unemployed which is really bad. I'm going to take an online MBA that is final.

MichChamp02 said:
well, good luck either way.

Same here.

I never discourage someone for continuing their education. BUT Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into in terms of debt and career advancement (which you have already considered) but also make sure you are going to finish.

That is the main problem with online degrees. There are many that start it but don't end up finishing it for numerous reasons (sometimes life gets in the way if you are not there in the classroom). Look at the length of the program and graduation rate with other factors.

Also look into Wayne, its the only one I'm familiar with and know of someone who graduated with some success.

Thanks Cheeno,

I always finish something that I invest money in. As for the debt I should be able to pay that off after one year in a better job, because most online degrees run around 25K (least the ones I'm looking at). Wayne is a school I am very interested in, actually already started the application for it and had some info mailed to me. Problem is now that I gotta study and take the GMAT before hand. Which should be fun :/

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Thanks Cheeno,

I always finish something that I invest money in. As for the debt I should be able to pay that off after one year in a better job, because most online degrees run around 25K (least the ones I'm looking at). ...

um. that's probably not going to happen. Unless you are a statistical outlier, or live in a tent and put 75% of your take home pay toward the principle of the loan each month, you are not going to pay off $25K in a year.

I would also be skeptical that the final cost ends up being what they tell you. Add in books, fees, etc. and it's going to be more.

and the interest on the loans you take out is adding up constantly. You really need to consider these figures more carefully.

employment stats upon graduation and starting salaries are also notoriously inflated. Even well-respected institutions have been caught doing this, and the online schools pretty much create their numbers out of thin air.

methinks you have not been googling the correct information.

Back