Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Michigan Football Recruiting 2020 thread*

JD Johnson has to quit playing due to a medical condition. He still has a full ride to Michigan and will be a part of the coaching staff in some capacity.

https://247sports.com/college/michi...etirement-Jim-Harbaugh-Josh-Gattis-137759027/

Yeah. That sucks for the guy.

I hope Michigan gets in on another big time QB recruit. It will be difficult at this stage, though.

This is where a program can get in trouble at the QB position really quickly. Milton and McCaffrey are set to compete against each other next spring. The loser of the QB competition could very well bolt. Then Michigan is left with the starter and McNamara and nothing until 2021. Yikes!

Yeah. That sucks for the guy.

I hope Michigan gets in on another big time QB recruit. It will be difficult at this stage, though.

This is where a program can get in trouble at the QB position really quickly. Milton and McCaffrey are set to compete against each other next spring. The loser of the QB competition could very well bolt. Then Michigan is left with the starter and McNamara and nothing until 2021. Yikes!

I'm worried because I wouldn't be surprised to see Milton leave this off season. We all saw what happens when you don't take a QB with the whole Shane Morris thing so hopefully they can get in on one.

Really happy to hear that they're still honoring the young man's scholarship and offering to keep him involved with the team in a coaching capacity. I am very critical of the product on the field but nobody can ever question Jim's ingerity. They do it the right way and they do right by their players.

I'm worried because I wouldn't be surprised to see Milton leave this off season. We all saw what happens when you don't take a QB with the whole Shane Morris thing so hopefully they can get in on one.

Really happy to hear that they're still honoring the young man's scholarship and offering to keep him involved with the team in a coaching capacity. I am very critical of the product on the field but nobody can ever question Jim's ingerity. They do it the right way and they do right by their players.

Yeah. That was pretty much what i said, Milton or McCaffrey, depending on who is ahead.

Is that really Jim's decision? I mean, it sounds like a no-brainer, but I really wonder if that is an AD thing or a head coach thing or what? I guess it doesn't matter. Are there other schools that would just tell a committed high school senior to get bent if medical issues came up like that?

Yeah. That was pretty much what i said, Milton or McCaffrey, depending on who is ahead.

Is that really Jim's decision? I mean, it sounds like a no-brainer, but I really wonder if that is an AD thing or a head coach thing or what? I guess it doesn't matter. Are there other schools that would just tell a committed high school senior to get bent if medical issues came up like that?

You would think that any human being would see it as the right thing to do but according to Sam Webb that's not typically what happens for recruits in this situation. Someone that's already on campus, yes. Basically the football program still has to cover the cost of the scholarship but because he's a medical non-counter he doesn't count toward their scholarship player count. Apparently most schools just say "Good luck" and pull the scholarship to save the $50-100k per year.

Today is the early signing day

Here is the same exact link that is in the first post of the thread, but now it shows everyone who signed their LOI today.

21 players signed

It, also, shows the players that did not sign

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

JD Johnson has medically retired, will be on a full ride scholarship to Michigan
Micah Mazzcua has not signed and is expected to probably sign elsewhere
Nick Patterson has not signed and is expected to probably sign elsewhere
Gaige Garcia has signed as a wrestler and has committed to playing football. He will only count as a football scholarship if he ever actually gets into an actual game...

We are still waiting on the decisions of at least 3 players that may or may not play for Michigan OR there could be surprises still out there

4* CB Darian Green-Warren
3* QB Dan Villari (a flier on a QB to get one in this class after JD Johnson can't play)
3* OL James Pogolrec

In case you were wondering, no one flipped any Michigan verbal commitments today.

Back