Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan vs IU game thread

The IU game is the kinda game where we would've bounced back with a huge win in the Lloyd Carr days.

We would have a disappointing early season loss, or a Big Ten loss against the conference's Dark Horse team that year, and everyone would say "Michigan sucks" and "Iowa/PennState/Wisconsin is gonna kill them next week" and we'd go on the road and win 31-14 or something like that.

This team is just really lousy this year.

I like Harbaugh, but for every good assistant he's hired, there are some real head scratchers, especially putting his inexperienced son on the staff. It puts a ceiling on our performance every year, if not making us a bad team, like in 2017 & this year.

The thing about our safeties coach "working remotely" is just bizarre. There's obviously a lot of dysfunction going on, and in the past, that kinda thing would be nipped in the bud after a week.

Last edited:
The IU game is the kinda game where we would've bounced back with a huge win in the Lloyd Carr days.

We would have a disappointing early season loss, or a Big Ten loss against the conference's Dark Horse team that year, and everyone would say "Michigan sucks" and "Iowa/PennState/Wisconsin is gonna kill them next week" and we'd go on the road and win 31-14 or something like that.

This team is just really lousy this year.

I like Harbaugh, but for every good assistant he's hired, there are some real head scratchers, especially putting his inexperienced son on the staff. It puts a ceiling on our performance every year, if not making us a bad team, like in 2017 & this year.

The thing about our safeties coach "working remotely" is just bizarre. There's obviously a lot of dysfunction going on, and in the past, that kinda thing would be nipped in the bud after a week.

I was telling the guy at work this. We would have some dumb fucking loss or losses and beat Ohio State at the end of the year and salvage a bad season. How many of those in the 90s did we have? I would count the 2007 season in that as well with beating Florida and Tebow.. To be honest though, when Jay was the TE coach, they caught the fucking ball. The RBs were and are great when there are holes. The Oline has not been good the last 2 weeks. The 2 starters out def contributed to this loss.. The problem I have is the constant substitution. Its beyond ridiculous.

Would any one be opposed to hiring Mike Hart as a replacement for Harbaugh?

Just gonna throw that out there, don't be hateful.

Lack of experience is a concern, but he's young, has a great track record wherever he's coached, and is a great recruiter (Rivals Top 25). He would need a great OC that can get the offense humming and lighting up the scoreboard. Defense no longer wins championships. Having an offense that can put up 35-40+ in the biggest games is what is most important.

Would any one be opposed to hiring Mike Hart as a replacement for Harbaugh?

Just gonna throw that out there, don't be hateful.

With no proof of this, I imagine that IU's staff is on a collective mission that it wants to complete. So defections are, IMO, unlikely through 2022.

With no proof of this, I imagine that IU's staff is on a collective mission that it wants to complete. So defections are, IMO, unlikely through 2022.

Hart would not say no to UM. It would be a pay bump and he'd be back at the school he loves. He has stated his goal is to become the head coach of UM.

Id think other schools have deeper pockets and can pull coaches from IU if they want regardless of year.

UM could pull Hart if they wanted him. I just don't think anyone would want him yet. He has not held a head coaching gig yet and is still young. I say he could come to UM and do just as good as what we are seeing now.

Who knows?

Maybe Harbaugh is frustrated and disappointed and has kind of checked out mentally.

He came to Michigan with the intent that Michigan would be his last job – I guess most of the Michigan faithful were probably hoping for that too. Sometimes shit just don’t work out the way you planned.

Who knows?

Maybe Harbaugh is frustrated and disappointed and has kind of checked out mentally.

He came to Michigan with the intent that Michigan would be his last job ? I guess most of the Michigan faithful were probably hoping for that too. Sometimes shit just don?t work out the way you planned.

If Harbaugh is played out, that?s fine, but then he needs to resign effective immediately. Otherwise, he?s making $8,000,000 to coast out the season.

He has another option: reengage and refocus.

Just throwing this out there: I recall Hart said some nasty stuff about Harbaugh, back when Harbaugh was at Stanford, and he publicly complained about how Michigan pushed football players to major in easier areas of study, and Stanford didn't do that kind of thing.

Maybe they buried the hatchet, maybe not. Maybe it's something that they could work out.

Regardless, I just don't understand some of the moves Harbaugh has made.

Maybe Jay is a good coach, but the nepotism thing seems to be an issue; helping your kid get a job is one thing; giving him a job is another. This isn't a family business!

Don Brown was a good hire; Zordich seems solid, as does Warriner. Everyone else he's hired seems way too young and inexperienced for the level of responsibility they're given.

Big money ruins things as well... once it starts getting thrown around everyone starts chasing it and stops doing their job. That's obviously not Jim Harbaugh's fault, but he needs to identify coaches who aren't job jumpers for his staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing this out there: I recall Hart said some nasty stuff about Harbaugh, back when Harbaugh was at Stanford, and he publicly complained about how Michigan pushed football players to major in easier areas of study, and Stanford didn't do that kind of thing.

Maybe they buried the hatchet, maybe not. Maybe it's something that they could work out.

Regardless, I just don't understand some of the moves Harbaugh has made.

Maybe Jay is a good coach, but the nepotism thing seems to be an issue; helping your kid get a job is one thing; giving him a job is another. This isn't a family business!

Don Brown was a good hire; Zordich seems solid, as does Warriner. Everyone else he's hired seems way too young and inexperienced for the level of responsibility they're given.

Big money ruins things as well... once it starts getting thrown around everyone starts chasing it and stops doing their job. That's obviously not Jim Harbaugh's fault, but he needs to identify coaches who aren't job jumpers for his staff

I forgot about the little Harbaugh/Hart tiff. Thanks for the reminder there. I'm sure they could have buried the hatchet just like Michigan and Harbaugh did regarding his comments about UM athlete academics. You would hope that both would be mature enough to already be past that anyway. It happened 13 years ago.

I forgot about the little Harbaugh/Hart tiff. Thanks for the reminder there. I'm sure they could have buried the hatchet just like Michigan and Harbaugh did regarding his comments about UM athlete academics. You would hope that both would be mature enough to already be past that anyway. It happened 13 years ago.

I?m ready to let it go. It was a long time ago.

Who knows?

He came to Michigan with the intent that Michigan would be his last job ? I guess most of the Michigan faithful were probably hoping for that too. Sometimes shit just don?t work out the way you planned.

Was kinda thinking this as well. For a man like Jim, it's gotta be hard to take the job of coaching a dumb kids' game seriously, as the country falls apart and burns

He's no Dumbo Swinney or even Jimbo Fisher... I mean he is (or was) on the board for the LSC, and takes his time to go on missionary trips in Peru. He's not just some empty-headed money-grubber who'll do and say whatever to win football games.

For us, college football is a welcome distraction right now, but as an actual coach, I could see getting fed up with the hypocrisy of it all.

OR... maybe none of that is the case, and we just lost a couple football games?

I?m ready to let it go. It was a long time ago.

I will email Harbaugh.

Was kinda thinking this as well. For a man like Jim, it's gotta be hard to take the job of coaching a dumb kids' game seriously, as the country falls apart and burns

He's no Dumbo Swinney or even Jimbo Fisher... I mean he is (or was) on the board for the LSC, and takes his time to go on missionary trips in Peru. He's not just some empty-headed money-grubber who'll do and say whatever to win football games.

For us, college football is a welcome distraction right now, but as an actual coach, I could see getting fed up with the hypocrisy of it all.

OR... maybe none of that is the case, and we just lost a couple football games?

Maybe.

Maybe anything.

Harbaugh was one of the coaches lobbying the hardest for the Big 10 to have a season.

Back