Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mike Iupati - Free Agent Target?

Bryce petty throws such an accurate ball.....

I'm all for adding competition for Stafford to push him, but Petty should be anywhere from a late first round pick to a middle 3rd rounder, shouldn't he?

Admitted, I am not sure, that's just a very ballpark guess. Haven't even see Combine results yet.

I think thats too early for a developmental QB to push your guy. No matter how much some on this board may dislike Stafford, he IS the man here under center for the foreseeable future after his contract extension.

A 5th or 6th round guy for this season, if a QB at all.

I'm all for adding competition for Stafford to push him, but Petty should be anywhere from a late first round pick to a middle 3rd rounder, shouldn't he?

Admitted, I am not sure, that's just a very ballpark guess. Haven't even see Combine results yet.

I think thats too early for a developmental QB to push your guy. No matter how much some on this board may dislike Stafford, he IS the man here under center for the foreseeable future after his contract extension.

A 5th or 6th round guy for this season, if a QB at all.

Agreed. But if he falls to us near the bottom of the 2nd hed be great value as a back up. We were lucky as hell that orlovsky saw no pt this year. Petty could develop to challenge stafford in 3-4 years. He throws it better than stafford already....who cares if staffs arm is stronger....hes consistently one of the worst at throwing the deep ball. Case in point missing a wide open 6'5" calvin deep last week. Have you watched bryce today? Ridiculous how hes fitting it in such small windows.

And if hes just a career back up qb...thats already better than all of mayhews 2nd rd picks combined.

Last edited:
Agreed. But if he falls to us near the bottom of the 2nd hed be great value as a back up. We were lucky as hell that orlovsky saw no pt this year. Petty could develop to challenge stafford in 3-4 years. He throws it better than stafford already....who cares if staffs arm is stronger....hes consistently one of the worst at throwing the deep ball. Case in point missing a wide open 6'5" calvin deep last week. Have you watched bryce today? Ridiculous how hes fitting it in such small windows.

And if hes just a career back up....thats already better than all of mayhews 2nd rd picks combined.

Nah, didn't get to watch the game. Spent my day so far rebuilding a server for our paper in Colorado by remote.

Just for the fun of discussing off-season though....

Rumor has it the Cardinals are going to demand Fitzgerald take a pay cut or be released and he is refusing to take one penny less because he wants out.

How much fun would it be to see him here with Calvin and Tate? I don't think he's in line for a blockbuster deal since he's a few years removed from his last 1,000 yard season, so his contract could be something we could afford.

Bigger problem is he is rumored to be unhappy being a "complimentary" receiver. If true, no way he wants to be a third piece here. But it sure is fun to dream, ain't it?

Get a guy who can complete a high % of passes and if need be let him be a game manager. Then work on the D plus OL.

Defintely still think we need a threat opposite calvin on the outside. Tate was great this year in the slot. Ebron blows.

Defintely still think we need a threat opposite calvin on the outside. Tate was great this year in the slot. Ebron blows.

Way too early to say that. You never give up on a 1st round pick after a year.

If he can't learn to block better, he's not a TE. But he still has great size and speed for a WR.

I would hope his bricks for paws could be worked out, but at the very worst, you move him outside and Tate to the slot, and let him drag a defense along with him.

His hands are awful. Drop passes as a TE o an outside WR..I see no difference.

His hands are awful. Drop passes as a TE o an outside WR..I see no difference.

Troy Williamson had the worst hands i have ever seen.

Darius Heyward-Bey couldn't catch a cold.

They were both effective for their team by using their size and speed to take the top off a defense and make teams fear the mismatch.

Way too early to say that. You never give up on a 1st round pick after a year.

If he can't learn to block better, he's not a TE. But he still has great size and speed for a WR.

I would hope his bricks for paws could be worked out, but at the very worst, you move him outside and Tate to the slot, and let him drag a defense along with him.

So a 4.6 40 is great speed for a WR? It's great for a TE, but definitely not a WR. If his brick paws can't be worked out, he won't be dragging any defense along with him no matter where he is on the field.

They were both effective for their team by using their size and speed to take the top off a defense and make teams fear the mismatch.

Only problem is they ran 4.3 and 4.32 at the combine. Ebron ran 4.6!

Ink those 2 guys ran a 4.2. Stafford would be sacked 3 times by the time ebron "takes the top off a defense. "

Ink those 2 guys ran a 4.2. Stafford would be sacked 3 times by the time ebron "takes the top off a defense. "

Hahaha... no doubt he's not a track star, but (not to play into the cliche) his physical tools are a matchup nightmare if he breaks out wide.

And again, that is the absolute worst case scenario.

I've heard coaches and scouts my entire life say that you can't coach size, you can't coach speed, but you can coach hands.

His are bricks, but it's one season too. He needs coaching there, and probably a ton of off-season work.

And you guys all know I am 100% in Ebron's corner in order to get rid of Droptimus Prime. So stop trying to crush my dreams of the end of Pettigrew in Honolulu Blue.

Sheesh.

Darius Heyward-Bey is terrible. If teams were afraid of him then I question the DC of those teams.

Going back to the OP, I don't think Iupati is a good fit here. He's a dominant run-blocker, but actually a poor pass-blocker. Since we still have a pass-first team regardless of how the offseason goes, I would focus on picking up O-linemen that are good pass-blockers first.

Back