Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB 2020 Draft - Tigers Draft Spencer Torkelson #1 And sign him to $8.4 Million Bonus

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Guys I'm starting the draft thread early with everything going on.
Talk has finally become fact. The draft will be just 5 rounds.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/in-the-time-of-covid-19-sweeping-changes-are-made-to-the-amateur-draft/
In the Time of COVID-19, Sweeping Changes Are Made to the Amateur Draft.
Fangraphs

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/mlb-mlbpa-reach-deal.html
MLB, MLBPA Reach Agreement On Service Time, Salaries, Draft.
MLBTR

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...-2020-draft-but-slash-five-rounds/2925174001/
MLB, players' association agree to keep 2020 draft but slash it to five rounds.
Detnews

One of the major concerns for the Tigers, of course, was what would happen to the draft, since for the second time in three years they own the first overall pick. The two sides agreed to keep the draft, but it’s going to be cut to five rounds (instead of 40) and possibly pushed back into July.

Signing bonuses will be deferred, paying 10 percent up front and 45 percent in two subsequent years. And, the salary slots for drafted players will be frozen at 2019 levels. The first overall pick this year will be slotted at $8.4 million instead of $8.7 million – a 3.5 percent cut.

This has rankled agent Scott Boras, who is representing projected No. 1 pick Spencer Torkelson in this draft.

“It is amazing to me when our nation is in a position of peril, that one of the attack points always continues to be the poor drafted players,” Boras told USA Today. “For owners to do this to these young men, who are so passionate about baseball, is something that they need to examine their conscious.’’

The league and players’ association, though, argued that all sides are taking a financial hit during this crisis and a 3.5-percent hit is relatively small in context.

Undrafted players will be limited to a $20,000 ceiling on signing bonuses.

Last edited:
Boras is a P.O.S.

He doesn't give a shit about these players...he just wants his cut. I wonder if he is lowering his commission during the crisis. I wonder if he even represents the lower level players he is talking about.

That said, limiting the draft to 5 rounds is significant. A 6th round draft pick last year got a $291K signing bonus and a 15th round pick got $125K. Kids that are good that aren't drafted will most likely go back to school. Only a "scrub" will sign for the $20K

I don't get why 5 rounds is more safe with the virus than 10 or 40 rounds.

I don't get why 5 rounds is more safe with the virus than 10 or 40 rounds.

I doubt it's a safety issue. My guess is it's a risk / monetary issue. Top 5 players in the draft are mostly higher end prospects that have a reasonable chance at success. Also, none of these players in the draft are playing so none of them can be scouted. The top 5 rounds probably already have been scouted last year since they are the "better" players.

I doubt it's a safety issue. My guess is it's a risk / monetary issue. Top 5 players in the draft are mostly higher end prospects that have a reasonable chance at success. Also, none of these players in the draft are playing so none of them can be scouted. The top 5 rounds probably already have been scouted last year since they are the "better" players.

Hard to replenish ml teams though.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2020/4...mlb-draft-2020-scouting-farm-system-prospects
Bless You Boys Tigers Blog Podcast 74: First look at the 2020 draft with Joe Doyle and Jay Markle. 80 minutes.
The BYB staff talks baseball from a Tigers perspective.

Typically we don?t begin our draft coverage for a few more weeks, waiting for the opening week or two of minor league baseball to have the center stage, but then again, we?re usually two weeks into a major league season by this point. With tentative plans for a partial season still very much in the early stages, the draft is the one thing we?ve got to look forward to for certain, so let?s start getting into it.

Joining host Brandon Day are a pair of strong guests for this one. First we have Joe Doyle, who writes for Lookout Landing, our Seattle Mariners sister site on the SB Nation platform. He covers prospects, amateur players, and the draft for Prospects Live and Baseball America. Secondly, we have former BYB prospects writer Jay Markle. He?s now with Motor City Bengals on the Fansided platform.

We?ll talk about the strange new rules that will govern the revised 2020 draft, the bonus pools, and how the draft class sets up for this five round free-for-all.

The Tigers number one pick still has folks divided between Vanderbilt?s Austin Martin, and Arizona?s Spencer Torkleson, along with a few Asa Lacy believers to spice the mix. We?ll talk about each of them, and look into the heart of the draft for the Tigers, picks 38, 63, and 74. Assuming you can?t miss at 1-1, getting those picks right is going to be the key, and in a pitcher-rich draft class, finding a good arm or two without neglecting the dire need for good positional talent may influence the Tigers approach here.

Along the way we?ll talk about the Tigers farm system, their strengths and weaknesses, and whether they can close the gap between them and the top farms any time soon.

Back