Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB eliminates 42 MiLB farm teams Now MLB tells teams to provide housing for MiLB

I always thought it was going to be rookie, low a type teams. Not AA or higher.

Last edited:
MLB and MiLB are in a dither right now.
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/12/1...alk-away-from-minor-league-baseball-entirely/

From Manfred (who is mad about MiLB going public even though Manfred is now going public):

?If the National Association [of Minor League Clubs] has an interest in an agreement with Major League Baseball, it must address the very significant issues with the current system at the bargaining table. Otherwise, MLB clubs will be free to affiliate with any minor league team or potential team in the United States, including independent league teams and cities which are not permitted to compete for an affiliate under the current agreement.?

Owner of a MiLB team:

?Rob is attempting to decimate the industry, destroy baseball in communities and eliminate thousands of jobs, and he?s upset that the owners of the teams have gone public with that information in an effort to save their teams. That?s rich.?

We have a Brouhaha.

They should make it simple. Every MLB club gets rid of one minor league team.
I'm never in favor of this. It's almost 900 players who will lose their job. What about the owners of these teams?

Manfred said there were four reasons to cut 42 MiLB teams.
1. Inadequate facilities
2. 77 franchises have moved since 1990, making for untenable travel
3. Poor pay for minor leaguers
4. Drafting and signing players who don't have a realistic opportunity to make it to the bigs.

#3 Pay them more, simple eh?. #4 is ridiculous. Some of those type make good players. Maybe cut the draft rounds down a bit. #2, can't they just change the MiLB division and get teams close to each other play each other? But some on the chopping block haven't moved at all. #1 I don't know but the Majors have had inadequate facilities. Make it so the bad ones have to fix their issues. Give them a chance. Though some on the list of going have fine stadiums.

Last edited:
I'm never in favor of this. It's almost 900 players who will lose their job. What about the owners of these teams?

Manfred said there were four reasons to cut 42 MiLB teams.
1. Inadequate facilities
2. 77 franchises have moved since 1990, making for untenable travel
3. Poor pay for minor leaguers
4. Drafting and signing players who don't have a realistic opportunity to make it to the bigs.

#3 Pay them more, simple eh?. #4 is ridiculous. Some of those type make good players. Maybe cut the draft rounds down a bit. #2, can't they just change the MiLB division and get teams close to each other play each other? But some on the chopping block haven't moved at all. #1 I don't know but the Majors have had inadequate facilities. Make it so the bad ones have to fix their issues. Give them a chance. Though some on the list of going have fine stadiums.

The owners of those teams could just go independent if the want to continue to have a team.

It's only about 30 players per organization. There are easily 30 players that could easily be cut. They could also go to independent leagues or over seas. If they are good enough, they will find a job.

The owners of those teams could just go independent if the want to continue to have a team.

It's only about 30 players per organization. There are easily 30 players that could easily be cut. They could also go to independent leagues or over seas. If they are good enough, they will find a job.
Still a lot of people out of a job. Plus all the workers lose there jobs, coaches/staff etc.. So its more than 30 people per team. And a team can be liquidated and the owner of that team has no say?

I just don't like people losing there jobs.

Last edited:
Still a lot of people out of a job. Plus all the workers lose there jobs, coaches/staff etc.. So its more than 30 people per team. And a team can be liquidated and the owner of that team has no say?

I just don't like people losing there jobs.

If there is a market for a contracted minor league baseball team the owner will figure it out. If not...tough cookies.

I always try to be the voice of reason around here.
Because you're not some 50-55 year old needing to look for work. Or a 40 year old with 3 kids wondering where his next check is coming from.

Last edited:
Because you're not some 50-55 year old needing to look for work. Or a 40 year old with 3 kids wondering where his next check is coming from.

90% of the jobs created by minor league teams are just seasonal work. Very few full time jobs will be eliminated.

Nonetheless, income is now gone.

It doesn't have to be gone. The owners of the teams that are eliminated could create 2 independent leagues. They would already have the infrastructure, employees and players available.

It doesn't have to be gone. The owners of the teams that are eliminated could create 2 independent leagues. They would already have the infrastructure, employees and players available.
How does that work? They stay where they're at or do they need to get a new city (new field)? And I never understood this though it may seem obvious is an independent league independent of MLB, as in Manfred can't do anything?

Thanks.

How does that work? They stay where they're at or do they need to get a new city (new field)? And I never understood this though it may seem obvious is an independent league independent of MLB, as in Manfred can't do anything?

Thanks.

Currently there are 7 independent leagues with varying number of teams. They have no ties to MLB. As far as stadiums, every city is different. I assume that a lot of cities build the stadiums and teams lease them.

Back