Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU hires Mel Tucker

johnny2x2x

Good hire. And they?re backing the Brinks truck up for his salary and assistants salaries.

Could be a great hire.

My first reaction was ?thank goodness it?s not Bielema!? But I had never heard anything about the guy other than he was HC at CO before this process. Just read his Wikipedia page - he definitely has an impressive background, particularly on defense and he?s an Ohio guy, played and coached in the B1G, solid NFL resume. On paper his experience and success look great. Now he just needs to bring in a solid OC who can get us into the 21st century (and the top half of D1), rebuild the defense and improve recruiting. Welcome aboard!!!

Last edited:
Has 2 natty title rings, one as Saban's DB coach, another as Jim Tressel's DB coach. Ohio ties are strong. NFL ties are strong. 3 years as Kirby Smarts DC at Georgia.

Assistants are being put together. Kentucky's ace recruiter, Vince Marrow, is likely coming. OSU's WR coach, Brian Hartline, has been contacted, Hartline was named the national recruiter of the year.

Tucker checks all the boxes, but his lack of extensive HC experience adds some risk. We're reportedly giving him $6.2 Million for assistants, they gave Dantonio $4 Million. That's just short of Ohio State's $7 Million for assistants ($6.2 Million is slightly more than UM paid their assistants last season). Should be able to finally assemble an elite staff at MSU, that's going to mitigate some of the risk. I'm really excited about the assistants we'll be able to bring in for that kind of loot.

Tucker was the first guy we interviewed, but we didn't offer him the job, we instead interviewed Fickell and he said yes before saying no. Tucker was basically plan 1b.

MSU is going to pay Tucker over $5 Million and his assistants over $6 Million. This is a strong statement that MSU Football will spend the money that they should have been spending considering we're 13th in the country in revenue for the athletic department.

Has 2 natty title rings, one as Saban's DB coach, another as Jim Tressel's DB coach. Ohio ties are strong. NFL ties are strong. 3 years as Kirby Smarts DC at Georgia.

Assistants are being put together. Kentucky's ace recruiter, Vince Marrow, is likely coming. OSU's WR coach, Brian Hartline, has been contacted, Hartline was named the national recruiter of the year.

Tucker checks all the boxes, but his lack of extensive HC experience adds some risk. We're reportedly giving him $6.2 Million for assistants, they gave Dantonio $4 Million. That's just short of Ohio State's $7 Million for assistants ($6.2 Million is slightly more than UM paid their assistants last season). Should be able to finally assemble an elite staff at MSU, that's going to mitigate some of the risk. I'm really excited about the assistants we'll be able to bring in for that kind of loot.

Tucker was the first guy we interviewed, but we didn't offer him the job, we instead interviewed Fickell and he said yes before saying no. Tucker was basically plan 1b.

MSU is going to pay Tucker over $5 Million and his assistants over $6 Million. This is a strong statement that MSU Football will spend the money that they should have been spending considering we're 13th in the country in revenue for the athletic department.

First, I?m putting zero stock in these rumors and waiting to see who he brings in. Second, according to data from public universities we were 19th in the country in assistant coach pay. Conservatively, we were estimated to be at least top 25 in the country including private schools. Staff pay was not the issue, we had a shitty staff because of Dantonio and his stubborn loyalty to shitty coaches, it?s that simple.

Already writing off 2020 in terms of wins and losses, and he should probably get a pass on ?21 with ?22 being the first year you can reasonably expect to see improvement - anything before that is gravy. Staff moves will be more telling for the next year but again, I?m not listening to any of these rumors - the guy was just hired and already somebody knows who he is trying to bring in? Challenge.

Last edited:
Mel Tucker coaching career. He was a grad assistant at MSU 1997-98 under Saban. His rings are from 2 different teams. Osu 2002 and Alabama 2015. I think. Or was it 2001?

I just heard on the tv waiting at the dentist that he turned down the job last week but msu came back with a bigger offer that he couldn't refuse. Just what I heard on tv.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap200210.html

Last edited:
Good recruiter and they're giving him more money for assistant coaches. That works for me

He's taking some shit from people from posting and saying he was committed to staying at CU after he turned MSU down the first time.

So Beekman smashed MSU's piggy bank to throw every last cent at him, and his commitment... waffled? Flip flopped?

He'll last 3 seasons in East Lansing. if that.

First, I?m putting zero stock in these rumors and waiting to see who he brings in. Second, according to data from public universities we were 19th in the country in assistant coach pay. Conservatively, we were estimated to be at least top 25 in the country including private schools. Staff pay was not the issue, we had a shitty staff because of Dantonio and his stubborn loyalty to shitty coaches, it?s that simple.

Already writing off 2020 in terms of wins and losses, and he should probably get a pass on ?21 with ?22 being the first year you can reasonably expect to see improvement - anything before that is gravy. Staff moves will be more telling for the next year but again, I?m not listening to any of these rumors - the guy was just hired and already somebody knows who he is trying to bring in? Challenge.

Vince Marrow has been offered a job. Kentucky's lead recruiter and the guy who's been taking all the Ohio guys that we wanted the last couple cycles. UK will probably try to keep him, but he and Tucker are good friends.

They should also try to poach Kentucky's DB coach Steve Clinkscale. That guy beat us out on 3 top 15 players from Michigan this cycle, including the #1 overall player in the state Justin Roger's.

They should also try to poach Kentucky's DB coach Steve Clinkscale. That guy beat us out on 3 top 15 players from Michigan this cycle, including the #1 overall player in the state Justin Roger's.

I think they're talking to him too. Also probably grabbing someone off Georgia's staff.

There's talk Chuck Bullough or Ron Burton might be the only holdover. I like that, I thought the smartest move Harbaugh made when hired was keeping Mattison around to make the older players feel like there was some continuity.

Last edited:
We gave a lot of money to an unknown. He has great assistant coach resume but very little as a head coach. I am still leaning that we should have just got the coach we really wanted after next season. All that said, I will give him 3 seasons to see what kind of coach he really is, since this team is a dumpster fire now.

We gave a lot of money to an unknown. He has great assistant coach resume but very little as a head coach. I am still leaning that we should have just got the coach we really wanted after next season. All that said, I will give him 3 seasons to see what kind of coach he really is, since this team is a dumpster fire now.

Tucker took a 5-7 CU team and went... 5-7 again, with some blowout losses. I guess he also served as an interim coach for part of a season with Jacksonville in the NFL.

MSU has a pretty tough slate for 2020; I'd consider 6-6 a good season for Tucker. Honestly, even if Danotio stayed, I would wager MSU would go between 5-7 and 7-6

If Tucker does better than 6-6 it's almost as though he worked a turnaround.

Tucker took a 5-7 CU team and went... 5-7 again, with some blowout losses. I guess he also served as an interim coach for part of a season with Jacksonville in the NFL.

MSU has a pretty tough slate for 2020; I'd consider 6-6 a good season for Tucker. Honestly, even if Danotio stayed, I would wager MSU would go between 5-7 and 7-6

Know this, Michigan has beaten a grand total of 1 good (good being 8+ wins) MSU football team in the last 30 years. If Tucker can get MSU to 8+ wins a year, that will likely mean he's kicking Michigan's ass most season.

Last edited:

Tucker has only had the job for 12 hours and already has the same number of big ten championships as Jim Harbaugh

I wouldn?t be very optimistic for next year no matter who we hired and I?m not reading anything into any of his head coaching experience - 1 season at a challenged college program and a partial NFL season. Weren?t most of the real contenders for the job coordinators. They set the bar high in terms of Comp which I don?t like but could they have gotten him, an equal or better coach for less $ next year in today?s game??

His credentials, other than HC experience he stacks up really well with all the other candidates and way ahead of some names thrown in the mix. He has a clean slate and a few years to show what he can do

Last edited:
Back