Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Near slavery is still alive in SC bible college

Well Christianity supposedly has that evidence - the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

It doesn't take understanding anything about cults to see you have no idea what an actual prophecy is, or how it compares to false prophecy. Please enlighten us all about your knowledge of all prophecies - a claim you seem to be making. This ought to be interesting.

Here ya go, buddy. Check the left side tabs under "signs of the end".

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com/signs-of-the-end/signs-in-the-world/war-and-conflict

I was telling Screwy McBuckeye that the signs he was talking about are all able to be attributed to nearly every single time in history. People want it to happen so badly that they completely disregard this fact and start seeing that the end times are here. It's pretty nuts.

You look at this site (it's not the only one) and you'll see they try to give examples to back up their claim that it's a sign of the end times. Oh wow...there are earthquakes.

And as I told both of you, prophecy is always vague. Well, successful prophecies are. Nostradamus is very accurate when you go back through history and try to find events and people that fit his prophecy. Unfortunately, since his "prophecies" are so vague and symbolic, you'll never be able to see one of them come true until after. Even then, you have to jam the puzzle pieces together to make them fit.

If the bible's prophecies said something like, "In the year 2014 after the birth of our lord, he shall return on a white horse on a cloud. You'll know the sign of his coming when the oceans turn into deserts and the moon explodes." then I would say you had some argument if those signs came to pass because they are specific.

If the bible's prophecies said something like, "In the year 2014 after the birth of our lord, he shall return on a white horse on a cloud. You'll know the sign of his coming when the oceans turn into deserts and the moon explodes." then I would say you had some argument if those signs came to pass because they are specific.

What if it's said like this? link

Well, I've read the bible twice. Enough vague prophecy in that book to make Sylvia Brown call bullshit.

In high school, I studied mythology for two years. Learned enough about ancient religions to understand how much the bible has taken from them. The punishments for being bad, rewards for worship and being good. The promise of some return of a god to destroy or save the world...it's all the same.

You read revelation and every single word of prophecy can be attributed to any time in history. It's all meant to scare you into not straying too far, just like every other religion or cult. The faithful have no need to worry. As long as they keep the faith, great rewards are given. There is a proven formula throughout history and it will never change until people realize they're being played.

You make several incorrect statements. A huge majority of the prophecies, especially biblical ones, save Revelation, weren't meant to scare anyone. Can you point to any by some of the actual known prophets, e.g. Ezekiel, or Jeremiah, and how their prophecies were meant to promote fear? The rewards that are being predicted in many prophecies were not predicated on worshipping God or being good either. You are making sweeping generalizations from your limited knowledge.

You point to Revelation, and outside of predicting the end of times, it says nothing about how it can all be avoided if we are somehow good or worship God. Also, keep in mind the books of the bible are arranged in order of importance. Revelation isn't the last book of the Bible because it talks about the end of time. The second coming is mentioned all through the New Testament.

Many are definitely vague, I won't argue there, but they most certainly don't necessarily apply to any time in history, nor are they meant to. In fact quite a few are very specific about time frames and specific events.

It is uninformed people's interpretations that you must be thinking of - where they attempt to apply a particular prophecy to a randomly picked time in history, where similar events seem to happen mysteriously like what is written. For sure rail on those interpretations, but attributing your broad generalizations to the Prophets themselves is just sheer nonsense.

You are only played if you let yourself be played. The Bible is not at fault here, and it isn't formulaic in any way.

Last edited:
Well, you see it that way because you believe it. If you were an outsider and believed the book to be man made and man inspired, you'd see things how I do.

Doom and gloom prophecy is intended for fear and control. It's that way for every major religion that has ever existed. But don't worry! The faithful are always spared from the horror. Some savior always comes and rescues them. Despite the darkness, there is always an opposing light.

Even I saw that when I was a Christian. If you can't understand that, then you're lying to yourself.

If there was no threat of Hell, no promise of Heaven, no doom and gloom prophecy to end the world...do you honestly believe Christianity, Islam, or any other major religion would have become so popular? If there is no fear of these things, there is no religion.

Christianity is like the magazines in line at a grocery store with headlines like, "The End Times Are Now: The Proof". Idiots read these things out of fascination and fear. Some of it is entertainment. Some of is the "what if it's true and I don't know about it" factor.

Many are definitely vague, I won't argue there, but they most certainly don't necessarily apply to any time in history, nor are they meant to. In fact quite a few are very specific about time frames and specific events.

Such as?

Well, you see it that way because you believe it. If you were an outsider and believed the book to be man made and man inspired, you'd see things how I do.

Doom and gloom prophecy is intended for fear and control. It's that way for every major religion that has ever existed. But don't worry! The faithful are always spared from the horror. Some savior always comes and rescues them. Despite the darkness, there is always an opposing light.

Even I saw that when I was a Christian. If you can't understand that, then you're lying to yourself.

If there was no threat of Hell, no promise of Heaven, no doom and gloom prophecy to end the world...do you honestly believe Christianity, Islam, or any other major religion would have become so popular? If there is no fear of these things, there is no religion.

Christianity is like the magazines in line at a grocery store with headlines like, "The End Times Are Now: The Proof". Idiots read these things out of fascination and fear. Some of it is entertainment. Some of is the "what if it's true and I don't know about it" factor.

"Well, you see it that way because you believe it." LOL - no kidding. Is that some revelation to you?

Christianity does not depend on whether there is an afterlife for us or not. The key is the resurrection. If there was no resurrection, then you could reason that there is no soul, no afterlife, no God. So to answer your question I am not lying to myself, Christianity most certainly would have became popular not because of a promise of heaven or hell, but because of the belief in the resurrection of Jesus.

There are idiots in every religion. Doesn't lessen its message in any way.

The destruction of Egypt by Persia, and the subsequent liberation of God's people because of it. Persia gave them some small amount of autonomy. The years for the prediction are actually in question, but some estimates put it at within 2 years of the actual events.

There are literally dozens - you ever hear of Google?

the book of Daniel has an account of the "Babylonian Captivity" which really happened, and contains events that can be corroborated in the non-biblical historical record. although as far as history goes, the Bible is like "history written by an insane nutjob."

the Bible as a history book is like what would happen if the only history of our time that survives is the one written by this guy:

street-corner-preacher.jpg

Future people will be like "Man, those people in the 21st century were off the chain! How the hell did they survive?"

The destruction of Egypt by Persia, and the subsequent liberation of God's people because of it. Persia gave them some small amount of autonomy. The years for the prediction are actually in question, but some estimates put it at within 2 years of the actual events.

There are literally dozens - you ever hear of Google?

Egypt was predicted to be a wasteland. I believe the exact words said something about nobody would walk through it or inhabit it for 40 years. Far from fulfilled prophecy.

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and cut off man and beast out of thee. And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I am the LORD: because he hath said, The river is mine, and I have made it. Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years. And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years: and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries

Ezekiel and Isaiah also predict the Nile will run dry - fail.

I will dry up the streams of the Nile and sell the land to evil men; by the hand of foreigners I will lay waste the land and everything in it. I the LORD have spoken.

The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it. 2 And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom.3 And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.4 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts.5 And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.6 And they shall turn the rivers far away; and the brooks of defence shall be emptied and dried up: the reeds and flags shall wither.Isaiah 19:7 The paper reeds by the brooks, by the mouth of the brooks, and every thing sown by the brooks, shall wither, be driven away, and be no more. 8 The fishermen will groan and lament, all who cast hooks into the Nile; those who throw nets on the water will pine away.

Isaiah says that Egypt will speak the language of the Canaanites - Fail.

In that day shall five cities in the land of Egypt speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the LORD of hosts; one shall be called, The city of destruction.

Ezekiel claims that once the Jewish people are brought back together, it will live in peace with its neighbors. fail.

No longer will the people of Israel have malicious neighbors who are painful briers and sharp thorns. Then they will know that I am the Sovereign LORD. This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When I gather the people of Israel from the nations where they have been scattered, I will show myself holy among them in the sight of the nations. Then they will live in their own land, which I gave to my servant Jacob. They will live there in safety and will build houses and plant vineyards; they will live in safety when I inflict punishment on all their neighbors who maligned them. Then they will know that I am the LORD their God.

And no. I've never heard of Google. Is it a strip club? I don't go to those places. Not a fan of fake breasts and easy women.

Egypt was predicted to be a wasteland. I believe the exact words said something about nobody would walk through it or inhabit it for 40 years. Far from fulfilled prophecy.

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and cut off man and beast out of thee. And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I am the LORD: because he hath said, The river is mine, and I have made it. Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years. And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years: and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries

Ezekiel and Isaiah also predict the Nile will run dry - fail.

I will dry up the streams of the Nile and sell the land to evil men; by the hand of foreigners I will lay waste the land and everything in it. I the LORD have spoken.

The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it. 2 And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom.3 And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.4 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts.5 And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.6 And they shall turn the rivers far away; and the brooks of defence shall be emptied and dried up: the reeds and flags shall wither.Isaiah 19:7 The paper reeds by the brooks, by the mouth of the brooks, and every thing sown by the brooks, shall wither, be driven away, and be no more. 8 The fishermen will groan and lament, all who cast hooks into the Nile; those who throw nets on the water will pine away.

Isaiah says that Egypt will speak the language of the Canaanites - Fail.

In that day shall five cities in the land of Egypt speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the LORD of hosts; one shall be called, The city of destruction.

Ezekiel claims that once the Jewish people are brought back together, it will live in peace with its neighbors. fail.

No longer will the people of Israel have malicious neighbors who are painful briers and sharp thorns. Then they will know that I am the Sovereign LORD. This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When I gather the people of Israel from the nations where they have been scattered, I will show myself holy among them in the sight of the nations. Then they will live in their own land, which I gave to my servant Jacob. They will live there in safety and will build houses and plant vineyards; they will live in safety when I inflict punishment on all their neighbors who maligned them. Then they will know that I am the LORD their God.

And no. I've never heard of Google. Is it a strip club? I don't go to those places. Not a fan of fake breasts and easy women.

See I knew you could find Google. I have done my good deed for the day.

. . . and for God's people these prophesies promoted fear how or did any of them say that these things will only happen if they worship God? The interpretations for these are many and varied.

You want to quote scripture - here is one for you. Deuteronomy 18:22 - an excerpt for you here:

22 ?When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

You can't boil a reasonably complex subject such as prophesying and make such blanket statements about it, and expect to be taken seriously.

. . . and what's this about not being a fan of easy women? What'sa matter you?

You want to quote scripture - here is one for you. Deuteronomy 18:22 - an excerpt for you here:

22 “When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

You can't boil a reasonably complex subject such as prophesying and make such blanket statements about it, and expect to be taken seriously.

. . . and what's this about not being a fan of easy women? What'sa matter you?

You realize that what you just said could also be applied to modern day psychics?

You throw out all these prophecies and expect people to believe them. When one is vaguely correct, it's proof! When one is wrong, there's a verse that keeps the structure from failing. Do you not see that?

And I prefer a bit of a challenge. Ease of triumph is unsatisfying.

You realize that what you just said could also be applied to modern day psychics?

You throw out all these prophecies and expect people to believe them. When one is vaguely correct, it's proof! When one is wrong, there's a verse that keeps the structure from failing. Do you not see that?

And I prefer a bit of a challenge. Ease of triumph is unsatisfying.

I suspect, but seriously won't ask you to accept, that since a prophet was expected to be speaking for the Lord, and many of them held much power in those days, they were right way more than they were wrong (thus having spoken presumptuously).

Paul believed that John the Baptist was the last real prophet, and that there could be no more.

Prophesying does not make one a prophet - do you see the distinction between biblical prophets and psychics?

I suspect, but seriously won't ask you to accept, that since a prophet was expected to be speaking for the Lord, and many of them held much power in those days, they were right way more than they were wrong (thus having spoken presumptuously).

Paul believed that John the Baptist was the last real prophet, and that there could be no more.

Prophesying does not make one a prophet - do you see the distinction between biblical prophets and psychics?

So...any prophecy in the bible may be completely fabricated by someone who wasn't a prophet? I'm sorry, but if there are that many outright lies in a supposed perfect book, how could you believe ANY of it? If God would allow His book to be tainted so badly, I don't understand your faith in it.

So...any prophecy in the bible may be completely fabricated by someone who wasn't a prophet? I'm sorry, but if there are that many outright lies in a supposed perfect book, how could you believe ANY of it? If God would allow His book to be tainted so badly, I don't understand your faith in it.

A perfect book? Please point to where I have ever said that at any time in any post I have made? It isn't tainted "so badly" just because you say it is. I think there is way more in the Bible that is good and worth believing than things taken out of context and valid only for the times they were in. Something on the order of 100:1+. I don't understand your blind hatred of everything in it, just because you found something that you believe is wrong or full of hypocrisy.

just because you found something that you believe is wrong or full of hypocrisy.

I would like to see a list of things it's ok to support based on this line of thinking. How about America, or the University of Michigan, or humanity?

I would like to see a list of things it's ok to support based on this line of thinking. How about America, or the University of Michigan, or humanity?

Mis-read? Just because he believes it does not make it so. Any clearer?

Mis-read? Just because he believes it does not make it so. Any clearer?

I'm not agreeing with him. Just challenging the all-or-nothing approach. If finding something wrong or finding some element of hypocrisy means rejecting the whole thing, then it follows that you should also be against America, the University of Michigan, and humanity. I don't know what you should be for in that case.

well, those things don't claim to be divinely inspired, with their judgment as to moral matters and religious dogma beyond question. and humanity... to err is human, by definition. we're a product of the chaos natural evolution... we should be impressed we even managed to stay extant in the climates we evolved in, let alone live in others. take a walk, eh?

Back