Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Near slavery is still alive in SC bible college

I almost said billions, but I realized there's what 2-3 billion christians in the world? Even if only 50% of all Christians believed it, it would still be hundreds of millions. If you add muslims (who also believe in heaven) it'd probably be billions.

I hope you don't think that I don't "believe" in heaven. I most certainly do, I just don't believe it is a physical place.

The Bible is every bit as bloodthirsty a book as the Qur'an. Anyone who denies this is blinded to objectivity.

But plenty of "Christians" consider Muslims to be their enemies.

I don't consider anyone to be my enemy until they prove that they are. I suspect many more Christians believe that same thing rather than believe Muslims (with no other qualification than just Muslim) to be their enemy.

"Love thy neighbor as thy self." How is that bloodthirsty?

You can go ahead quote a whole bunch of mostly incorrect interpretations if you like, but I most certainly am NOT "blinded to objectivity" [sic].

Doesn't really matter how many times you say it (or for that matter my repeating that I am not blinded at all) - but it is your right to go ahead and repeat it as often as you like.

I hope you don't think that I don't "believe" in heaven. I most certainly do, I just don't believe it is a physical place.

78% of believers don't think it's a physical place. It part of what I was saying about the Bible having to work across ages and through translations. It also has to work for people of varying perspectives, ages, and appreciation for abstration. You say it's a place and 78% see one thing and the rest see something else and both approaches can be useful to people with different perspectives. If it said something like "Heaven is a transcendent state in union with God", it would resonate with some people, but you'd lose others. Calling it a place is more approachable, but it doesn't mean your understanding cannot evolve from there.

I can't do YouTube at work - can someone summarize? I wouldn't want to miss a chance to take Michchamp out to the woodshed.

He posted "Heaven is a Place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle, but I was thinking "Heaven" by Warrant.

Last edited:
heaven is a place where your soul goes. your soul is not composed of matter... it's a magic substance that can contain all your memories and thoughts. Magic! Your soul is bottled up inside your body while you're alive. when you die, it floats out and goes into another dimension we can't see, and then the christian god decides if you've been naughty or nice. if you've been naughty, you go to hell and suffer a punishment so horrible it's beyond human comprehension, and not just for a little while, but for all eternity. if you're nice, you go to heaven and enjoy an extreme pleasure & happiness, 200 times better than the most mindblowing orgasm, for ever and ever. And if you're "in between" and the christian god concludes there's not enough evidence, you go to purgatory and sit there until he decides to send Jesus back to Earth, and only then do you get to go have mindblowing orgasms in heaven.

Right? that's all completely reasonable and makes perfect sense. I wouldn't consider anyone "kinda stupid" or "completely absurd" for believing that.

and this only applies to humans, though. Other animals on Earth, despite having demonstrable feelings and personalities all just die and that's the end of it, because they don't have souls. Nothing inconsistent about that. And we know these things, alright???

I don't consider anyone to be my enemy until they prove that they are. I suspect many more Christians believe that same thing rather than believe Muslims (with no other qualification than just Muslim) to be their enemy.

"Love thy neighbor as thy self." How is that bloodthirsty?

You can go ahead quote a whole bunch of mostly incorrect interpretations if you like, but I most certainly am NOT "blinded to objectivity" [sic].

Doesn't really matter how many times you say it (or for that matter my repeating that I am not blinded at all) - but it is your right to go ahead and repeat it as often as you like.

How is it if someone opposing you quotes something it's going to be an incorrect interpretation? Are you that much more pious than anyone that only you understand the true meanings in a very cryptic book?

A sure sign you are not sure of the validity of your argument is to presume nobody is capable of understanding things like you are.

heaven is a place where your soul goes. your soul is not composed of matter... it's a magic substance that can contain all your memories and thoughts. Magic! Your soul is bottled up inside your body while you're alive. when you die, it floats out and goes into another dimension we can't see, and then the christian god decides if you've been naughty or nice. if you've been naughty, you go to hell and suffer a punishment so horrible it's beyond human comprehension, and not just for a little while, but for all eternity. if you're nice, you go to heaven and enjoy an extreme pleasure & happiness, 200 times better than the most mindblowing orgasm, for ever and ever. And if you're "in between" and the christian god concludes there's not enough evidence, you go to purgatory and sit there until he decides to send Jesus back to Earth, and only then do you get to go have mindblowing orgasms in heaven.

Right? that's all completely reasonable and makes perfect sense. I wouldn't consider anyone "kinda stupid" or "completely absurd" for believing that.

and this only applies to humans, though. Other animals on Earth, despite having demonstrable feelings and personalities all just die and that's the end of it, because they don't have souls. Nothing inconsistent about that. And we know these things, alright???

This is how a disgruntled 16-year-old who was denied the opportunity to go out with her buddies to the beach would describe Heaven in her diary. At that moment. So it is "kinda stupid" and "completely absurd" to contemplate. Not to mention that it's inaccurate.

Damn she was smoking.'

I always wanted to get into that circle in the sand.

That concept meeting must have been classic:

Director: "Belinda ... you rub up against a wall while women in masks hold model Earths in their hands."

Belinda: "I totally get it!"

It looks like Belinda Carlisle did a run in London with the musical Hairspray fairly recently; seems she played the character that Michelle Pfeiffer played in the movie.

I didn't know that.

Proof we are living in a Matrix-type experience...

Science fiction writiers "dream up" and write down their futuristic visions of the world...then a few decades later, scientists start making those visions reality. The Sci-Fi writers were obviously put on Earth by the Matrix controllers as a way to make people willingly accept things such as tanks, planes, rockets, space travel, anti-matter, curing someone's ills without cutting them open, ray guns, robots, computers, self-driving cars, weapons of mass destruction, and so much more.

I always find it interesting how those who look at the Bible and poke holes in everything possible are so willing to accept things from science in a "blind faith" way. Science has been FAR from perfect in its own right. Even when scientists create "laws" there are elements where those laws fail, just look at the Law of Gravity and how it fails in both micro- and macro- scales. Yet we demand that the Bible, written thousands of years before Newton, be 100% accurate and without failings because it fails scientific testing today.

Proof we are living in a Matrix-type experience...

Science fiction writiers "dream up" and write down their futuristic visions of the world...then a few decades later, scientists start making those visions reality. The Sci-Fi writers were obviously put on Earth by the Matrix controllers as a way to make people willingly accept things such as tanks, planes, rockets, space travel, anti-matter, curing someone's ills without cutting them open, ray guns, robots, computers, self-driving cars, weapons of mass destruction, and so much more.

Two-days ago, a strange thought crossed my mind. I'll be seeing some college roommates in a few weeks and I thought I should download "Da Dip" and put it in a playlist because I think it would crack people up. It's a bad song, but it was popular for a little while while we were at Michigan.

Yesterday, I kid you not, I heard the song on TV. Someone was playing it at some event the local news was covering.

Obviously, I am just a battery.

BTW, Champ...just wanted to pass along that at no point have the Jews been entirely reunited in Israel, so you cannot proclaim Ezekiel to be wrong simply because the state of Israel exists today. However, I think the only way every Jew alive will be living in Israel is if there is a massive and global situation that kills off nearly the entire planet but there are like 10 Jews who survive and they are all in Israel. Whether that killing off is due to wars, disease, famine, the sun growing and cooking the Earth, I have no answer, but one is incorrect if proclaiming Ezekiel was a fraud due to the lack of peace on Earth just because Israel exists.

I always find it interesting how those who look at the Bible and poke holes in everything possible are so willing to accept things from science in a "blind faith" way. Science has been FAR from perfect in its own right. Even when scientists create "laws" there are elements where those laws fail, just look at the Law of Gravity and how it fails in both micro- and macro- scales. Yet we demand that the Bible, written thousands of years before Newton, be 100% accurate and without failings because it fails scientific testing today.

I'm willing to consider the context and the information available at the time. Even though he held the field of optics back from the idea that light traveled as waves about a century, Newton was a pretty smart dude who made some valuable contributions.

Two-days ago, a strange thought crossed my mind. I'll be seeing some college roommates in a few weeks and I thought I should download "Da Dip" and put it in a playlist because I think it would crack people up. It's a bad song, but it was popular for a little while while we were at Michigan.

Yesterday, I kid you not, I heard the song on TV. Someone was playing it at some event the local news was covering.

Obviously, I am just a battery.

LOL...yeah, there are times when one thinks WTF just happened?!?!?!?

Why do we have to sleep? Yeah, I know, we have to "recharge" blah, blah, blah...but seriously...WHY? Maybe the Matrix program requires updating and when it isn't updated properly our systems start to malfunction???

How is it if someone opposing you quotes something it's going to be an incorrect interpretation? Are you that much more pious than anyone that only you understand the true meanings in a very cryptic book?

A sure sign you are not sure of the validity of your argument is to presume nobody is capable of understanding things like you are.

LOL - you are truly reaching. I never indicated or presumed any of these things. I have no such basis to compare my piety to anyone else's, and have not done that at all as far as I can see. If that were true, it would follow from your silly rambling that I think you don't get/understand the meaning of "Love thy neighbor as thy self."? Seriously? . . . or are you only applying "cryptic" to the Old Testament messages of fire and brimstone?

Is that dumb last line anything like, "a sure sign you have lost an argument is to claim victory"? Riiiight . . . I'm the one not sure of the validity of my argument.

You crack me up.

Back