Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New MSU OC

Still... I don't put much stock in what ohio fans say. They're not very bright.

I think the fact that Bollman was ohio OC from '01-'11 and no one else came calling pretty much speaks for itself.

That's a pretty solid point.

I think MSU is headed back to avg. anyways. They won't be BAD under MD, but they'll struggle to win 9 games. And they're not going to be competing for conference championships in November.

They hit their absolute pinnacle in '11, and getting back to that is going to take a perfect storm of circumstances again, mostly involving Michigan re-hiring RR for a few years, and during that time, State getting an NFL-draft caliber QB who gets 3 good receivers & a good TE to throw to. One of those two things ain't happenin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of a Sandusky-esque situation ...supposedly all that, but somehow never on the radar for programs seeking new coaches...

I don't know what coach Dan was thinking. Bollman was a lazy recruiter and his lines were always very prone to false start penalties. Its tough to really judge him as a play caller because Tressel did most of that. He had one year as the primary play caller but it was also the year where one half of the team was suspended and the other was injured.

Enjoy Walrusball Sparty.

It's a bad hire. It's status as usual. MSU fans were crying up and down for someone a bit innovative, and they go and pick this guy.

Again, like I said earlier, when you have to go to great lengths to defend the hire, there's a fundamental issue.

I don't know what coach Dan was thinking. Bollman was a lazy recruiter and his lines were always very prone to false start penalties. Its tough to really judge him as a play caller because Tressel did most of that. He had one year as the primary play caller but it was also the year where one half of the team was suspended and the other was injured.

Enjoy Walrusball Sparty.

See ...from one of the brightest Buckeyes I know.

No one in Columbus is upset that he landed in EL. Whoever said good ol' boys club nailed it.

I think MSU is headed back to avg. anyways. They won't be BAD under MD, but they'll struggle to win 9 games. And they're not going to be competing for conference championships in November.

They hit their absolute pinnacle in '11, and getting back to that is going to take a perfect storm of circumstances again, mostly involving Michigan re-hiring RR for a few years, and during that time, State getting an NFL-draft caliber QB who gets 3 good receivers & a good TE to throw to. One of those two things ain't happenin!

Word!

Dantonio has been a solid coach for MSU. You can't deny that. he's 51-28 there, which is one of the better %'s in MSU's history.

in the end, MD's coaching ability is going to keep MSU solid under his tenure. If Bollman actually screws things up bad enough, you can bet MD will fire him quickly. He's not going to keep him around. and at least it probably wasn't a bad move as far as coaching staff chemistry goes... they obviously got along at ohio, or Bollman wouldn't have been considered.

But at the same time, I doubt Bollman is going to do much to improve things there. Looks like Bollman was actually OC for Tressel's entire tenure, plus the 6-6 shit-show with Fickell as HC in 2011. If the guy was really legit, or anything more than a "Yes Man" he would've moved on to bigger and better things sometime during the 00's, especially after the Troy Smith Heisman season in '06. ...but I think most GM's or AD's out there knew what was really going on behind the scenes in Columbus during those years. There's a reason Tressel never won Big Ten COY, and it's because everyone knew he was dirty and by association... so where his long time stalwarts on the coaching staff. they don't give out awards for that.

His success just coincidentally coincided with the RR era, though. Sure, he took advantage of that, but a lot of his success as a coach is based on the fact that RR sucked at recruiting the area and MD got some players that he might not have if RR hadn't sucked so bad. His largest accomplishments as an MSU coach are beating Michigan. Hopefully, that shit is over.

His success just coincidentally coincided with the RR era, though. Sure, he took advantage of that, but a lot of his success as a coach is based on the fact that RR sucked at recruiting the area and MD got some players that he might not have if RR hadn't sucked so bad. His largest accomplishments as an MSU coach are beating Michigan. Hopefully, that shit is over.

I think it is - at least the 4-in-a-rows. But I think we're deluding ourselves if we think MSU is going to go back to the John L Smith/Bobby Williams years anytime soon.

They're going to be better than a Big Ten bottom feeder and as an in-state rival, that makes the match-up with them more dangerous than it's been.

Better than old and b-dub doesn't necessarily equate to solid

FYI, Bollman is going to be the TEs coach and the co-Offensive Coordinator. Warner is being promoted from QB coach to co-offensive coordinator and also coach the RBs. Staten remains O line coach. Considering the insane amount of injuries, Staten has done a pretty good job IMO.

I guess Dantonio didn't 100% trust Bollman to call plays either. Either way, I think it's a good addition to the staff. The key is that Dan Roushar is gone.

FYI, Bollman is going to be the TEs coach and the co-Offensive Coordinator. Warner is being promoted from QB coach to co-offensive coordinator and also coach the RBs. Staten remains O line coach. Considering the insane amount of injuries, Staten has done a pretty good job IMO.

I guess Dantonio didn't 100% trust Bollman to call plays either. Either way, I think it's a good addition to the staff. The key is that Dan Roushar is gone.

it could be a good addition to the staff. or it could be a disaster.

having "co-" anything is a potential for a clash of personalities. It looks like a failure to lead. RR did it with Tony Gibson. It looks to me like they're trying to accommodate egos by giving out job titles, but unless the chain-of-command is set behind the scenes and not an issue, this could make your offense an unmanageable mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
was also thinking about the sheer number of ohio guys Dantonio has there now.

what's next? bringing Tressel in as a "co-head coach" or some nonsense title?

at what point have they brought in some of the guys who were directly responsible for Tressel's payola scheme, instead of guys who were just passive observers? And if MSU is trying to replicate the recruiting Machine Tressel had in place... do they really think they can get away with that? It's one thing for the Big Ten/NCAA to turn a blind eye to one of its biggest Programs/money makers. MSU isn't on that level though.

was also thinking about the sheer number of ohio guys Dantonio has there now.

what's next? bringing Tressel in as a "co-head coach" or some nonsense title?

at what point have they brought in some of the guys who were directly responsible for Tressel's payola scheme, instead of guys who were just passive observers? And if MSU is trying to replicate the recruiting Machine Tressel had in place... do they really think they can get away with that? It's one thing for the Big Ten/NCAA to turn a blind eye to one of its biggest Programs/money makers. MSU isn't on that level though.

Ohio guys? Hmm, thought it was Ohio State? Didn't you guys play Ohio in the Tourney last year in basketball? How did that work out for you? Hey, how did the game against Penn go last night?

Michigan coaches and fans need to grow the fuck up with the Ohio nonsense, it sounds desparate.

You misspelled desperate, dipshit.

Hey, if you're going to cast stones, be ready for a rock coming back at you.

Ohio guys? Hmm, thought it was Ohio State? Didn't you guys play Ohio in the Tourney last year in basketball? How did that work out for you? Hey, how did the game against Penn go last night?

Michigan coaches and fans need to grow the fuck up with the Ohio nonsense, it sounds desparate.

I love it when this bothers people.

That's the beauty and simplicity of it all. Hoke just does it, some douche bag in the media made a deal about it and now even fans in Lansing are in a bunch about it.

gotta love johnny playing nice guy in one thread and asshole in another lol. if you dont like michigan coaches and/or fans calling them ohio then dont watch MICHIGAN and dont come to a MICHIGAN forum. you dont have to be here. i believe you are a state fan right?

You misspelled desperate, dipshit.

Hey, if you're going to cast stones, be ready for a rock coming back at you.

Yeah, and your entire fanbase looks like a bunch of idiots for calling a team Ohio when the real Ohio University handed your basketball team one of the most humiliating defeats in the Tourney last year. The only reason I brought it up is because in typical Michigan fan fashion the poster above started questioning someone's character when thinks are tough for Michigan. Michigan loses at basketball it's the refs, but oh, MSU football is hiring cheaters. When they lose at football, it's because someone cheated them or got lucky, or the infamous, "we just didn't play Michigan Football." What's funny is that if you ask people across the country which school has the most classless fan base, Ohio Stae or Michigan, Michigan would get like 80% of the vote.

Back