Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Next GM and Head Coach

With all these inexperienced coaches I’d be surprised if they didn’t go full rebuild and deal Stafford to the raiders.

Last edited:
Feels like they just looked for the coach that was as opposite Matt Patricia as possible instead of looking for the best coach.

He's already picked a complete unproven for his DC. I sure hope his OC has some experience and is a solid X's and O's guy because they're really lacking that right now.

Think we just need an OC that is willing to bite some kneecaps after they get knocked down.

kyle meinke
@kmeinke
?
5h
I've attended thousands of press conferences. I think this is the best one I've covered, and we haven't asked a question yet.

Michael Rothstein
@mikerothstein
?
4h
Dan Campbell might be heading toward one of the best introductory press conferences in history.

I have only seen some clips of the press conference. From what I saw it was strange, not really sure talking tough now will lead to wins during the season.

I have only seen some clips of the press conference. From what I saw it was strange, not really sure talking tough now will lead to wins during the season.

A lot of fans eat that 'rah rah' shit up. I think it's probably a great quality, especially as a former player, for the locker room. I'm just concerned that he's never called a play in his life. His OC needs to be a home run.

A lot of fans eat that 'rah rah' shit up. I think it's probably a great quality, especially as a former player, for the locker room. I'm just concerned that he's never called a play in his life. His OC needs to be a home run.

Vrabel was a DC for a total of one year before he got a chance to be HC... DC did pretty well in Miami was interim and he probably wasn't calling plays there. HC can totally be successful without having to call each and every play. I like that he was an assistant HC to Payton, he got to see the day to day of a HC and should at least have somewhat of an idea of what is ahead.. I'll take a leader of men and a guy who can motivate and get the best out of players over a play calling guru... I'm just glad our guys can finally respect their coach...

I know people want experienced candidates, but which great unemployed former OCs are out there and willing to come here? I'm finding names like Gase, Lynn, Caldwell and not all that impressed, maybe Koetter?

Vrabel was a DC for a total of one year before he got a chance to be HC... DC did pretty well in Miami was interim and he probably wasn't calling plays there. HC can totally be successful without having to call each and every play. I like that he was an assistant HC to Payton, he got to see the day to day of a HC and should at least have somewhat of an idea of what is ahead.. I'll take a leader of men and a guy who can motivate and get the best out of players over a play calling guru... I'm just glad our guys can finally respect their coach...

Yea but xs and os are important when you don't have talent to match up.

I know people want experienced candidates, but which great unemployed former OCs are out there and willing to come here? I'm finding names like Gase, Lynn, Caldwell and not all that impressed, maybe Koetter?

Pederson

I appreciate the comparison but I'm not sure it's apples to apples.

Vrabel was essentially the QB of that New England defense. Quite a bit more involved in scheme and on the fly play calling than a Tight End. Add to that a year as DC, it's invaluable playcalling experience.

I don't think it's impossible for Campbell to be a successful Head Coach. Not what I'm saying at all. But my fear is, because of his lack of "X's and O's experience" as you put it, there could be a rough transition if he doesn't have coordinators backing him that make up for that experience. We've already seen the new DC doesn't have the experience. I can't imagine this team being successful if all the members of the coaching staff have never called a play on offense or defense.

Campbell talked about exploiting matchups. He knows plenty of Xs and Os. Talked about putting Swift in slot against Will LBs. Exploiting Lions strengths against other team weaknesses. Mentioned outside zone if our LT way better than their Right End. It's a Saints/Payton philosophy. This is stuff Lions never even thought about it seems before.

And Campbell noted he knows he needs help around him.

Back