Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

No Tag For Golladay

detroit1811

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
?
1m
Lions have informed WR Kenny Golladay that they will not use their franchise tag on him, as
@TomPelissero
reported. Golladay is headed to free agency.

I am really not a fan of that approach and I think unless they make a move for a legitimate #1 in FA it makes a WR in the 1st almost a necessity. Maybe it is possible they are letting him get a look at the market and will make a competitive offer to re-sign him once he figured out his value.

Either way I think letting him hit FA means they are going to focus almost exclusively on players who will be released so it doesn't affect the comp pick formula.

Just saying, could you imagine if the Packers go after him? That would suck seeing him on the other side of Adams catching passes from Rodgers for the next 4+ years

Assuming Rodgers is here for 4 more years I doubt he goes there. Maybe the Bears. I'm perfectly fine with how this worked out. Draft one in the 3rd, boom we have a replacement. #1 gets used to much.

Plus we should also be getting a 3rd round comp next season. I believe.

Assuming Rodgers is here for 4 more years I doubt he goes there. Maybe the Bears. I'm perfectly fine with how this worked out. Draft one in the 3rd, boom we have a replacement. #1 gets used to much.

Not that easy to replace a guy of Golladay's pedigree to just saw draft a guy in the 3rd and thats his replacement. I understand he was a 3rd rounder, but thats like saying just draft Brady's replacement in the 6th or get Romeo Okwara's replacement as a UDFA.

I understand the reasoning in letting him walk, I just don't agree with it.

Why not Golladay was a 3rd. He has one pro-bowl. Whoopie.

You realize top 10 WR are a rarity.

Yes I do, and that is why I think it is a mistake to let him walk.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/the-top-25-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl/2/

10. Kenny Golladay, Detroit Lions
Not only did Kenny Golladay lead the NFL in receiving touchdowns last season, but he was also fifth among WRs in yards per target (10.3). His strength to win while contested and after the catch makes him a chore to cover and tackle.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/free-agency?season=2021

There may be no better endorsement of a top receiver than the difference it makes to his quarterback when he is on the field. Matthew Stafford is a different player when Golladay is on the field, and the wideout clearly has confidence in his ability to go up and get the football in tough spots. He battled injuries this season, but Golladay's 628 yards on deep (20-plus yard) passes ranked second in the league in 2019. Golladay has the size and athleticism required to be a big target on the outside, along with that contested-catch prowess, but he also possesses enough nuance in his route running to function well in any system. The NFC North has featured some great receivers in recent seasons, and Golladay is up there with the best of them.

I understand he is coming off injury and we do not know what his medicals look like. My point is it is a tough pill to swallow letting a guy of his pedigree walk and not get anything, but potentially what amounts to an early 4th round pick

Yes I do, and that is why I think it is a mistake to let him walk.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/the-top-25-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl/2/

10. Kenny Golladay, Detroit Lions
Not only did Kenny Golladay lead the NFL in receiving touchdowns last season, but he was also fifth among WRs in yards per target (10.3). His strength to win while contested and after the catch makes him a chore to cover and tackle.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/free-agency?season=2021

There may be no better endorsement of a top receiver than the difference it makes to his quarterback when he is on the field. Matthew Stafford is a different player when Golladay is on the field, and the wideout clearly has confidence in his ability to go up and get the football in tough spots. He battled injuries this season, but Golladay's 628 yards on deep (20-plus yard) passes ranked second in the league in 2019. Golladay has the size and athleticism required to be a big target on the outside, along with that contested-catch prowess, but he also possesses enough nuance in his route running to function well in any system. The NFC North has featured some great receivers in recent seasons, and Golladay is up there with the best of them.

I understand he is coming off injury and we do not know what his medicals look like. My point is it is a tough pill to swallow letting a guy of his pedigree walk and not get anything, but potentially what amounts to an early 4th round pick

So he had a 1 good year so what? Plus Goff is not a downfield thrower like Matt was so essentially he's a more of a slot guy but he can't get open. Its a bad fit. We need a route runner. Not someone who has to fight for every pass.

So he had a 1 good year so what? Plus Goff is not a downfield thrower like Matt was so essentially he's a more of a slot guy but he can't get open. Its a bad fit. We need a route runner. Not someone who has to fight for every pass.

He had one good year (2018)and another very good year(2019). When he played this past year he was excellent.

I agree on the point that Golladay and Goff's strengths don't appear to line up. In Goff's defense though he never had a WR like Golladay with LA, but maybe that was on purpose. On a side note though, we should not be prioritizing who we add based off a QB who is no lock to be here past 2021.

Goff is here for 2 years at least. As far as Golladay's production, as far as yards easy. If he has hands like Golladay's the TD will come. I rather have someone who can catch a in the open and run.

He turned down 18m so tag or not he was gone, trade or after the season.

Goff is here for 2 years at least. As far as Golladay's production, as far as yards easy. If he has hands like Golladay's the TD will come. I rather have someone who can catch a in the open and run.

15.5mil dead cap and 10mil cap relief if he is cut in 2022. 0 dead cap if traded. There are a lot of scenarios where Jared Goff is not a Lion in 2022. Obviously I would say it is more likely then not he is, but it is far from a guarantee.

As far as Golladay I just don't think it was a wise move. Could definitely be wrong about that, but I think we will look back and regret letting him walk if that indeed happens.

He turned down 18m so tag or not he was gone, trade or after the season.

That was in 2020 when Bob Quinn was still around. He could've turned down that money and bet on himself before he got injured or just didn't want to stick around if Patricia/Quinn was still here.

The reality of the situation now is Golladay is going to be hard pressed to get much more then 18-19mil AAV on the open market, IMO.

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins are "expected to show considerable interest" in free agent Kenny Golladay.
Beasley is also reporting that "one league source went so far as to predict Golladay ends up either with the Dolphins or the Giants." The Lions' surprising decision to let Golladay walk has let a special talent loose on the open market, one who should drive an immense bidding war. On the rise with a young quarterback and money to burn, the Dolphins check all the boxes for an appealing free agent destination.

That was in 2020 when Bob Quinn was still around. He could've turned down that money and bet on himself before he got injured or just didn't want to stick around if Patricia/Quinn was still here.

The reality of the situation now is Golladay is going to be hard pressed to get much more then 18-19mil AAV on the open market, IMO.

Because of Covid. Regardless most of the best don't get drafted until much later than 7. I rather have 20 guys that are playing now over Golladay. And with this team its not a high need.

Last edited:
My first option would be to tag n trade

If that wasnt going to happen i think letting him hit FA is the next best thing with our cap situation.

Im sure this meant we put feelers out there for a tag n trade and got no bites. If you dont have any offers and you have no intention to keep his 14mil on the payroll then you have to let him hit FA or else you tag him and get stuck with the cap hit.

Williams signing was the writing on the wall for KG...told you guys that last week. This is a DEEEEEEP WR class for both outside and inside WRs. If we dont sign a Ross or Higgins i think you see atleast (2) WRs drafted.

This is the right move during a rebuild....Keeping Marvin and Golladay would be $24 mil minimum. Williams was $8...that makes 16 mil in space to rework your roster. Still have a WR opening. Lets say thats a rd 1 $4 mil rookie. You now have 12 mil to go get someone impactful or fill holes on your defense.

Last edited:
My first option would be to tag n trade

If that wasnt going to happen i think letting him hit FA is the next best thing with our cap situation.

Im sure this meant we put feelers out there for a tag n trade and got no bites. If you dont have any offers and you have no intention to keep his 14mil on the payroll then you have to let him hit FA or else you tag him and get stuck with the cap hit.

Williams signing was the writing on the wall for KG...told you guys that last week. This is a DEEEEEEP WR class for both outside and inside WRs. If we dont sign a Ross or Higgins i think you see atleast (2) WRs drafted.

This is the right move during a rebuild....Keeping Marvin and Golladay would be $24 mil minimum. Williams was $8...that makes 16 mil in space to rework your roster. Still have a WR opening. Lets say thats a rd 1 $4 mil rookie. You now have 12 mil to go get someone impactful or fill holes on your defense.

I do think they would have put feelers out for a tag n trade, but most teams aren't going to make any offers because they would rather see him hit free agency and not give up anything. Only way a tag n trade works is if they have the cap to keep that contract on the books maybe all the way up until the draft or even later so teams figure out what their WR room would look like in 2021. Then maybe you get a team who missed out on a WR to throw you a 2nd in 2022. Without a Goff restructure. it just wasn't an option.

As far as the rest, I get it. It is just very reminiscent of trading away Slay and replacing him with Okudah. Why let a guy go just to draft his replacement. Like I would understand if we had a couple young guys behind him or could potentially step up, but we don't have that.

My guess is there is something behind the scenes we don't know about. Whether they heard he quit on the team in 2020 because he was worried about getting paid, or maybe there is long term concerns about his hip. Combine that with his asking price and it just didn't make sense to them.

I do think they would have put feelers out for a tag n trade, but most teams aren't going to make any offers because they would rather see him hit free agency and not give up anything. Only way a tag n trade works is if they have the cap to keep that contract on the books maybe all the way up until the draft or even later so teams figure out what their WR room would look like in 2021. Then maybe you get a team who missed out on a WR to throw you a 2nd in 2022. Without a Goff restructure. it just wasn't an option.

As far as the rest, I get it. It is just very reminiscent of trading away Slay and replacing him with Okudah. Why let a guy go just to draft his replacement. Like I would understand if we had a couple young guys behind him or could potentially step up, but we don't have that.

My guess is there is something behind the scenes we don't know about. Whether they heard he quit on the team in 2020 because he was worried about getting paid, or maybe there is long term concerns about his hip. Combine that with his asking price and it just didn't make sense to them.

Also got to remember Holmes is very analytical and the analytics simply arent there when it comes to Golladay. Doesnt get open. Doesnt run routes well. So your relying on Goff to Golladay jump balls working the same as Stafford to Golladay jump balls. As many have stated...thats not Goffs game.

Back