Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official Michigan week scapegoat predictions

13-6, 16-6, wet ball, possible pick 6, etc. it would have been a fluke but they were a play or two away from being right back in it.

at the end, like i said, the damn just broke

All true. It's never over till its over. Especially in rivalry games. Anything can happen and often does.

13-6, 16-6, wet ball, possible pick 6, etc. it would have been a fluke but they were a play or two away from being right back in it.

at the end, like i said, the damn just broke

Was not going to happen, and it didn't. The dam you speak of breaking was M's o-line and that's why this game was over in the first quarter.

All true. It's never over till its over. Especially in rivalry games. Anything can happen and often does.

Really? When was the last improbable ending between M and OSU? I can think of 1974 as the last time there was an "improbable" win between the two teams. Perhaps the 12-10 win of last season could be considered "improbable" between M and MSU in the entire history of the rivalry.

Really? When was the last improbable ending between M and OSU? I can think of 1974 as the last time there was an "improbable" win between the two teams. Perhaps the 12-10 win of last season could be considered "improbable" between M and MSU in the entire history of the rivalry.

Well, I'd have to go back and take a look. Perhaps you're right and things play out pretty much always as conventional wisdom would have it. Didn't feel like that during the Cooper years, however, I can tell you that.

Well, I'd have to go back and take a look. Perhaps you're right and things play out pretty much always as conventional wisdom would have it. Didn't feel like that during the Cooper years, however, I can tell you that.

For someone who claims to "have seen everything" your memory is failing you. The Cooper games were in no way "improbable." The best team won on that day(s). Even 1987 was not "improbable." OSU was the better team.

For someone who claims to "have seen everything" your memory is failing you. The Cooper games were in no way "improbable." The best team won on that day(s). Even 1987 was not "improbable." OSU was the better team.

Disagree about the Cooper games but in any case, are you saying that M has no shot the beat the Buckeyes 26 days from now? Your buddy Josh appears to be ready to throw in the towel. You too? Or, might something improbable take place, as it did in 1969?

Last edited:
Was not going to happen, and it didn't. The dam you speak of breaking was M's o-line and that's why this game was over in the first quarter.

up 16-6, say there's a tipped ball, pick 6, momentum to michigan, crowd is quiet, etc. shit happens, sometimes teams win games they don't deserve

i wasn't breathing easy until the Denard interception

So, are you saying that M has no shot the beat the Buckeyes 26 days from now? Your buddy Josh appears to be ready to throw in the towel. You too? Or, is it possible that something improbable might take place, as it did in 1969?

What? We have different definitions of "improbable." It means that a team is completely dominated and still wins. Not an upset.

It might interest you to know that every Michigan player and coach was certain they would win that '69 game.

up 16-6, say there's a tipped ball, pick 6, momentum to michigan, crowd is quiet, etc. shit happens, sometimes teams win games they don't deserve

i wasn't breathing easy until the Denard interception

And I knew the game was over even before halftime.

What? We have different definitions of "improbable." It means that a team is completely dominated and still wins. Not an upset.

Two things:

1. We apparently do have different definitions. To me, an upset is the definition of an improbable outcome. That's just me. It's fine if you disagree.

2. As a kid, I remember many OSU/Michigan tilts where the Wolverines dominated the stat lines but Buckeyes managed to somehow win games. Your kickers didn't help matters much.

Last edited:
Two things:

1. We apparently do have different definitions. To me, an upset is the definition of an improbable outcome. That's just me. It's fine if you disagree.

2. As a kid, I remember many OSU/Michigan tilts where the Wolverines dominated the stat lines but Buckeyes managed to somehow win games. Your kickers didn't help matters much.

I don't. Not '72. Not '74. '73 was a tie and M out gained OSU 303-230.

1995 Tony Banks to Nigea Carter in the front corner of the end zone comes to mind and 2004 MSU up 17 with 8 mins to go at michigan, losing in triple OT would be another just off the top of my head - diff in total yards was only 35 in MSU's favor but michigan had 195 yards in 3 fourth quarter drives against the MSU prevent defense. Unless I misunderstand what you mean by improbable...

Last edited:
Tony Banks to Nigea Carter in the front corner of the end zone comes to mind and 2004 MSU up 17 with 8 mins to go at michigan, losing in triple OT would be another just off the top of my head. Unless I misunderstand what you mean by improbable...

No, that's SOS = Same Ol' Spartans, when they played like that and consistently self-immolated. Same in '07.

No, that's SOS = Same Ol' Spartans, when they played like that and consistently self-immolated. Same in '07.

We've had our share of those for sure but I think 2004 had more to do w/ the dirty hit that separated Stanton's shoulder forcing State to finish the game w/ Damon Dowdell than the "SOS".

Giving up nearly 200 yards and a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter is improbable - although, it was a John L Smith "defense"...

Last edited:
We've had our share of those for sure but I think 2004 had more to do w/ the dirty hit that separated Stanton's shoulder forcing State to finish the game w/ Damon Dowdell than the "SOS".

Giving up nearly 200 yards and a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter is improbable - although, it was a John L Smith "defense"...

C'mon. Now you're just making excuses. The offense gave the defense a suitable margin.

cute thread.

funniest part is that "excuses" 3 & 4 are historically accurate reasons for state to have won games it did not deserve.

deserved this year's win and can't say any one of the "excuses" was used by anyone here (all your friends online during the game, notwithstanding).

Back