Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Other Games Week 4

Apparently, FanDuel disagrees with this board...

Let me be clear I don't think McCord is going to win or even contend for the Heisman and let me reiterate, I don't think he's better than JJ, but the timing of this article is fortuitous and a bit funny. Anyone notice who is missing?

"A" top 10 Heisman candidate list. That's a pretty big spread (+1000) for JJ between the 2 polls.

Seems like those idiots at Fox also think "the guy from USC" (who already won a Heisman) and Penix Jr. are better than JJ. I guess they don't read mc's posts on DSF.

edit: here's another Heisman list that has McCord in the top 5...

and yet another that has JJ in the top 6...

I saw another top 5 that didn't have anyone from the B1G.

I'm beginning to think these week 4 Heisman lists are not to be relied upon.

Last edited:
Will hey naw ima till ewe this and that's Ahia University State was lucky to win that game, no matter what theer coach Wayne Woodrow Day says I said that Nutter Dam was a goood futbaw team and that their transfer QB, Terry Hannratty, wuz gonna give them Ohio U Buckcats fits with that triple option offense I invented in 1943 and they cuddnt stop the Arsh's running game with a ten foot pole and I tol you already that the Newter Dame tradition was the 11th man on the field on that final play where the Buckcatz ran that play that shouldnt a counted nohow because everyone could see that his knee was on the ground first. If id a been coaching that game I'd have never thrown no guldurn screen pass inside my own 5 with 2:00 on that clock and don't fergit that my house burned down and I still managed to git my Rusty Lisch scrapbook outta the safe in time and one more thing the next time that Nooter Dam plays them Miami of Ohio Bobeyes, I'll say what I already said already to theer stupid coach Rod Richrigues --- YOU SUCK AND THAT GOES FOR YOUR WHOLE TEAM, DUMMAS

EDIT: And one more thing: I ain't never not goin ta tell nobody nothing that they don't need to heer and thats the truth. Ray Knight, the Toleda Footbaww coach shuld thank me for me tellin it like it is.

I normally never quote my own posts.

Found this one in the archives, in response to Holtz saying that ND was going to a BCS game in 2011:

byco42
10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Will hey naw ima till yew that Neuter Dame is about a best gul dern fuutbaw teem in the nation sure there not nothing like that 88 team i coached but whut teem ever cood match that team and it was only the majic of that denrad roberston that beet the arsh in east arbor and that loss too south florida state was a total fluke and I think that Neuter Dame is goona win there next 435 games all by shutouts ispecially if we git players as good as Pete Best and Coley O'Brien and Bob Gladieux and dont til me nuthin about Ara Parmigian goin for that tie against MSU in 1866 the civil war was just over and alot of his players were war veterans who didn't know the offense very well and he was not gonna be no John Pope at the second manassas bowl when the Missisippi Rebels ran them minie balls right down his teams throats and got his self fired on the spot. Yew watch, Neuter Dame will rise agin.

Last edited:
I normally never quote my own posts.

Found this one in the archives, in response to Holtz saying that ND was going to a BCS game in 2011:

byco42
10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Will hey naw ima till yew that Neuter Dame is about a best gul dern fuutbaw teem in the nation sure there not nothing like that 88 team i coached but whut teem ever cood match that team and it was only the majic of that denrad roberston that beet the arsh in east arbor and that loss too south florida state was a total fluke and I think that Neuter Dame is goona win there next 435 games all by shutouts ispecially if we git players as good as Pete Best and Coley O'Brien and Bob Gladieux and dont til me nuthin about Ara Parmigian goin for that tie against MSU in 1866 the civil war was just over and alot of his players were war veterans who didn't know the offense very well and he was not gonna be no John Pope at the second manassas bowl when the Missisippi Rebels ran them minie balls right down his teams throats and got his self fired on the spot. Yew watch, Neuter Dame will rise agin.

You are the Holtz Whisperer. Or maybe "Lisperer" is the better term.

Hard to believe he was a good coach somehow. He's 86 now and should probably not be on TV much anymore.

I didn't realize Holtz coached a year in the pros (one year, with the NJ Jets and went 3-10, quitting with one game left in the season).
Upon his departure, he lamented, "God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros."​

Yes, Lou... it must have been a higher power.

He must be really shitty to play for. Kinda reminds me of Urban Meyer... on some level, a good coach, but can only succeed in certain circumstances. Meyer bombed once he went to the pros and lost the only leverage he can think to use: fear.

And both Holtz and Meyer had scandals everywhere they went.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize Holtz coached a year in the pros (one year, with the NJ Jets and went 3-10, quitting with one game left in the season).
Upon his departure, he lamented, "God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros."​

Yes, Lou... it must have been a higher power.

He must be really shitty to play for. Kinda reminds me of Urban Meyer... on some level, a good coach, but can only succeed in certain circumstances. Meyer bombed once he went to the pros and lost the only leverage he can think to use: fear.

And both Holtz and Meyer had scandals everywhere they went.

That transition from college to NFL is rarely successful. Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, Tom Coughlin, Jimmy Johnson, and Barry Switzer are the exceptions that I can recall. Holtz, Saban, Rhule, Schinao, Petrino, Spurrier, Erickson, Kelly, Meyer, and Davis were flops. Klingsbury, O'Brien ... hard to say.

Last edited:
Harbaugh's .688 (49-22-1) record in San Fran is second only to Bill Walsh in 49ers history.

I remember having to listen to a speech by Lou Holtz at ND as part of some religious retreat in grade school. I guess the complete lack of shame allows people like him to think they have some standing to lecture others on how to behave.

Kinda ironic given his long record of cheating and turning a blind eye to scandals (and god-knows-what-else) during his tenure. And I forgot that his career ended in a massive brawl between SC-Clemson that was so brutal, both teams were banned from bowls and got sanctioned for it. Great fuckin' leadership there, Lou.

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

yeah, I know and that was sarcasm/understatement on my part.

I'm starting to become less and less interested in the Heisman as it has basically become a QBs only trophy. Watch Marvin Harrison Jr. or whoever has the best season at WR not win it but get drafted ahead of the winner and every QB on the short list for the Heisman.

I've always cared less about the Heisman than the sport overall but that gap is widening even as I become less interested in college football in general.

Last edited:
The problem with the Heisman last year is that nobody had a heisman moment so Caleb Williams backed into it. If either of Donovan's long runs had been Blake Corum then Blake would have won it. I can't remember the last time 3/4 finalists were coming off of a loss.

The problem with the Heisman last year is that nobody had a heisman moment so Caleb Williams backed into it. If either of Donovan's long runs had been Blake Corum then Blake would have won it. I can't remember the last time 3/4 finalists were coming off of a loss.

Williams didn't "back in". He won it because he had a great year. 4500 yards, 42 TDs, and only 5 INTs.

I don't think a RB has a shot anymore unless they have some sort of record breaking year AND there isn't a stand out QB. The last RB to win was Derick Henry in 2015. He had 2,219 yards and 28 TDs. That's the type of year a RB is going to have to have to win.

Williams didn't "back in". He won it because he had a great year. 4500 yards, 42 TDs, and only 5 INTs.

I don't think a RB has a shot anymore unless they have some sort of record breaking year AND there isn't a stand out QB. The last RB to win was Derick Henry in 2015. He had 2,219 yards and 28 TDs. That's the type of year a RB is going to have to have to win.

There aren?t too many college offenses that give even great backs the chance to have a year like that.

I'm reminded that there were seasons when a QB won the award and had no business doing so.

Chris Weinke
Gino Torretta
Jason White
Eric Crouch

And, yet, I think that Tommie Frazier should have won the year that Eddie George did.

I'm reminded that there were seasons when a QB won the award and had no business doing so.

Chris Weinke
Gino Torretta
Jason White
Eric Crouch

And, yet, I think that Tommie Frazier should have won the year that Eddie George did.

Frazier's numbers were average. He only had 1362 yards passing and rushed for 604. Not even 2000 yards including passing yards. That really isn't very impressive.

Frazier's numbers were average. He only had 1362 yards passing and rushed for 604. Not even 2000 yards including passing yards. That really isn't very impressive.

He had a veritable thoroughbred stable of RBs in which to give the ball. And he did. NU ran the option. To say Tommie Frazier is "isn't very impressive" because of his stats is a gross error in evaluation. He was the catalyst for two NU National Championships.

Back