Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Other Games Week 4

CBS reported ND had only 10 men on the field for OSU's last two plays. Oops.

I don't know if they commented on that during the game. I was at a party and they had the game on, but no audio. ND had only two men at the point of attack, and OSU still barely got in.

It's true. Freeman said "well I didn't have a timeout and we couldn't afford a penalty". So 3 feet with 10 men or 2 feet with 11? And how does it happen twice coming off of a timeout on the first one?

Nothing screams "tough" like an end around to the short side of the field on 4th and inches. Nothing screams "tough" like barely getting the ball across the goal line when the defense only has 10 players. Day is a douche.

It's true. Freeman said "well I didn't have a timeout and we couldn't afford a penalty". So 3 feet with 10 men or 2 feet with 11? And how does it happen twice coming off of a timeout on the first one?

Nothing screams "tough" like an end around to the short side of the field on 4th and inches. Nothing screams "tough" like barely getting the ball across the goal line when the defense only has 10 players. Day is a douche.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing: probably better to give them an extra foot there and get 4 men on the line. the down and the time remaining weren't a factor in the context... they were going to have one play regardless. sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Still early in the season, but it's probably one of the better wins anybody has. Penn State looks more solid than they have I'm glad we'll get a road test there before we play OSU

Last edited by a moderator:

I know, right?

Are we watching THE Ohio State Buckeye football? - or is it the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy?

Did you see and hear Ryan Day post game?

You can tell he falls asleep every night and wakes up every morning dreading - DREADING - his trip to Ann Arbor this fall.

Some old Notre Dame coach said something about him falling to make his team ?tough.?

Didn?t look wrong to me.

As always, Notre Dame is over rated - and the Suckeyes barely survived.

I guarantee a win over the Buckeyes this season, just like I did each of the last two seasons.

Yes, I saw the ridiculous post game interview. As others have said, what a douche! After watching OSU play ND I am more confident of a Michigan win over OSU than I have been the last two years. McCord is going to piss his pants when he walks into the Big House. If the D can keep pressure on him and get a few sacks he will crumble. I'm more worried about PSU.

Honestly McCord looked better when ND blitzed him. He seemed to know where his hot routes were and got it out to them quickly. He struggled when they played coverage and only rushed 4 if his first read was taken away. Lots of games for him to improve but I don't think they're going to see an interior rush like Michigan can bring. It's fortunate that they have yet another QB who has no interest in running.

Yeah, JJ looked great throwing 3 picks lat week. He looked fine against Rutgers today but he was playing Rutgers. I didn?t say McCord looked amazing just that he liked as good as jj over the past 2 weeks. He?s not a running quarterback so I?m not going to knock him for not having any rushing yards but he was clutch in a much bigger game today. And he has 7 more games to get more comfortable before playing uofm so I wouldn?t count on him being a big weakness at the end of the season, particularly if Harrison and Egbuke are healthy.

I mean I suppose if you're just going to cherry pick JJ's literal worst half of his Michigan career then yeah he didn't look great I suppose. As mentioned that half of play appears to be very much an outlier based on the rest of his career. As stated he threw only 5 ints all of last year, and that week he had 3 in one half. Michigan fans are confident that is not the norm out of him, so i'm not sure why you would want to use that as any sort of basis for an argument. Every QB in existence has a bad half here or there regardless of skill level.

Michigan has struggled against running QBs forever that much is a fact. So it is very significant that McCord is not a runner absolutely.

Anyway the game will be decided just like the last two seasons if Michigan's OL can overmatch OSU's defense and we just prevent the big plays from OSU's talented skill position players.

I mean I suppose if you're just going to cherry pick JJ's literal worst half of his Michigan career then yeah he didn't look great I suppose. As mentioned that half of play appears to be very much an outlier based on the rest of his career. As stated he threw only 5 ints all of last year, and that week he had 3 in one half. Michigan fans are confident that is not the norm out of him, so i'm not sure why you would want to use that as any sort of basis for an argument. Every QB in existence has a bad half here or there regardless of skill level.

Michigan has struggled against running QBs forever that much is a fact. So it is very significant that McCord is not a runner absolutely.

Anyway the game will be decided just like the last two seasons if Michigan's OL can overmatch OSU's defense and we just prevent the big plays from OSU's talented skill position players.

Well I suppose if you?re going to cherry pick his performance against a bunch of garbage opponents and just ignore the fact that he sucked against one of them and was ok against another after taking a half to warm up, then he?s probably amazing and going to win the Heisman I suppose - if Blake Corum doesn?t beat him out - LOL.

It maybe significant that he?s not a running QB but he has 2 first round NFL receives and a very solid TE. That?s a problem for any team. And whoever said he?s not capable of going through progressions is nuts - Harrison Jr was double covered most of the first half and playing hurt the second half. There?s no way McCord and stover were his primary on 20+ targets.

The guy led a 65 yard drive with :43 on the clock and one time out on the road against a good team. He may not be great but he?s better than the people on this board are giving him credit for.

Sure, if you play in a blizzard or have a couple outlier 3-4 yard runs that go for 75+ yards to make your run game look way better than it was, that could tip things in your favor. Right now neither team has done anything to indicate that this game is uofm?s to lose.

Last edited:
Well I suppose if you?re going to cherry pick his performance against a bunch of garbage opponents and just ignore the fact that he sucked against one of them and was ok against another after taking a half to warm up, then he?s probably amazing and going to win the Heisman I suppose - if Blake Corum doesn?t beat him out - LOL.

It maybe significant that he?s not a running QB but he has 2 first round NFL receives and a very solid TE. That?s a problem for any team. And whoever said he?s not capable of going through progressions is nuts - Harrison Jr was double covered most of the first half and playing hurt the second half. There?s no way McCord and stover were his primary on 20+ targets.

The guy led a 65 yard drive with :43 on the clock and one time out on the road against a good team. He may not be great but he?s better than the people on this board are giving him credit for.

Sure, if you play in a blizzard or have a couple outlier 3-4 yard runs that go for 75+ yards to make your run game look way better than it was, that could tip things in your favor. Right now neither team has done anything to indicate that this game is uofm?s to lose.

I'm not cherry picking anything, you're the one who compared only "the last two games". We've seen JJ for a much longer period than that. We know what he's capable of there isn't much of a mystery to that. It's just whether or not he executes the offense the way he is capable and he gets the required support from the rest of his teammates on offense.

And I'll wait where you can find a post of mine that slurps all over him and declares him a Heisman trophy candidate. I don't feel he is at all right now. However he's been very good all the same. He's completed 80% of his passes this year with a QB Rating of 189.1. He's been just fine. There is potential that his turnover woes do continue (this was a major problem vs TCU last year), but until we see it happen I'm not going to panic about it.

You can downplay the last two wins vs OSU all you like, but everybody who watched them is pretty much in agreement that Michigan won both convincingly and without controversy. What that means for this years game remains to be seen. That's why I said Michigan needs to try and stick to the same blueprint that won them those games. It will no doubt be a hard fought game with potentially a lot at stake once again.

I never made any comments about McCord and his play either such as his lack of ability to go through progressions either. I'll let you argue that with others. I honestly haven't watched McCord play all that much this year outside of the end of last night's game. That's why all I quoted was his so-so stat line.

In any case comparing just two weeks worth of play seems a silly exercise done only to try and stir the pot.

Last edited:

JJ outplayed the number 2 overall pick head to head on the road last year in beating an undefeated OSU by more than 20 points. It's asinine and Ryan Day-esq to suggest that "just take away 5 touchdown plays and OSU wins". They knew they had to stack the box to stop the run. It's a high-risk strategy and it burned them. And the one time they took their guys out of the box Michigan ran it down their throats and capped it with JJ running over one of their linbackers for a TD.

And let's at least be honest about Mccord's performance on that last drive. Sure he lead them to the TD, but Notre Dame dropped 2 easy interception on that drive, had 10 men on the field for the last 2 plays and had NOBODY lined up where OSU ran the final play and they still barely got the ball to the goal line. It's not like McCord put them on his back.

I remember a pass hitting ND's linebacker right in the hands and getting deflected to the middle of the field. McCord is lucky as hell the game didn't end right there.

Who would Spartamack be telling us is better than JJ if Kyle didn't get that break? The USC guy? Penix? he gave up slobbering over the SEC, I guess

I remember a pass hitting ND's linebacker right in the hands and getting deflected to the middle of the field. McCord is lucky as hell the game didn't end right there.

That was the INT I called with 1:24 left. Post #106. LB muffed the catch.

Last edited:
That was the INT I called with 1:24 left. Post #106. LB muffed the catch.

it's funny how dramatically the narrative changes with a lucky break.

Win and you're clutch; lose and you're just not very good. Same throw, and the results are out of the QB's hands and up to random chance...

Last edited by a moderator:
JJ outplayed the number 2 overall pick head to head on the road last year in beating an undefeated OSU by more than 20 points. It's asinine and Ryan Day-esq to suggest that "just take away 5 touchdown plays and OSU wins". They knew they had to stack the box to stop the run. It's a high-risk strategy and it burned them. And the one time they took their guys out of the box Michigan ran it down their throats and capped it with JJ running over one of their linbackers for a TD.

And let's at least be honest about Mccord's performance on that last drive. Sure he lead them to the TD, but Notre Dame dropped 2 easy interception on that drive, had 10 men on the field for the last 2 plays and had NOBODY lined up where OSU ran the final play and they still barely got the ball to the goal line. It's not like McCord put them on his back.

JJ McCarthy 12-24 (50%) for 263 yds & 3 TDs vs 31/48 (65%) for 349 yards and 2 TDs. Stroud did have 2 late picks - one that wasn't his fault and one in garbage time when the game was in hand. it's a bit of a stretch to say he outplayed him. And I'm talking about 2 running plays, not 5 TDs and those 2 plays made a huge difference. The run game was average (2.78ypc) against osu's ok defense other than those two fluke plays.

And let's be really honest about that last drive - McCord also completed a 4th & 7 and a 3rd & 19 under huge pressure. and on the last play, ND's secondary skewed to the right side (their left) but it was one-on-one o-line/d-line. So what if he barely got it in, he got it in.

I understand the homer bias of people on this board, but people who feel more strongly about a uofm win after watching that game are being silly. That was a quality road win for a team with receivers that will give any team difficulty and a qb that played well and has 7 more games to improve. I'd be glad Stroud left early and Ewers transferred but McCord doesn't suck.

Who would Spartamack be telling us is better than JJ if Kyle didn't get that break? The USC guy? Penix? he gave up slobbering over the SEC, I guess

Who am I saying is better than JJ? And when have I ever "slobbered over the SEC"? How about you pull the quotes? Of course, when have you ever let the truth get in the way of anything...

But since you brought it up, is it your contention that JJ is better than "the USC guy"? Are you saying JJ should have won the Heisman last year? Is 2,719 yds, 22 TDs and 5 picks better than 2x as many yards, 2x as many TDs and the same number of interceptions?

Is JJ better than Penix?

That's some funny shit.

Last edited:
JJ McCarthy 12-24 (50%) for 263 yds & 3 TDs vs 31/48 (65%) for 349 yards and 2 TDs. Stroud did have 2 late picks - one that wasn't his fault and one in garbage time when the game was in hand. it's a bit of a stretch to say he outplayed him. And I'm talking about 2 running plays, not 5 TDs and those 2 plays made a huge difference. The run game was average (2.78ypc) against osu's ok defense other than those two fluke plays.

And let's be really honest about that last drive - McCord also completed a 4th & 7 and a 3rd & 19 under huge pressure. and on the last play, ND's secondary skewed to the right side (their left) but it was one-on-one o-line/d-line. So what if he barely got it in, he got it in.

I understand the homer bias of people on this board, but people who feel more strongly about a uofm win after watching that game are being silly. That was a quality road win for a team with receivers that will give any team difficulty and a qb that played well and has 7 more games to improve. I'd be glad Stroud left early and Ewers transferred but McCord doesn't suck.

In the same post that you downplay JJ's 11.0 ypa performance you are trying to convince me that McCord is not shitty based on his 6.5 ypa performance. And one of them have all-world receivers to throw to and one doesn't. So McCord is "good" because of a 5/14 final drive in which 2 balls should have been picked off and he took an intentional grounding penalty that cost his team their final timeout. And we're absolutely NOT allowed to point out that it was complete luck that he even had an opportunity to continue the drive, but we are going to write off TD runs of 75 and 85 yards as "luck" (even though they were the result of a high-risk defensive strategy that failed).

And I am the one who is being biased?

And for the record, the fact that they barely got across the goalline against air may be irrelevant for that play, but it does bode well for other teams that they needed an 11 on 10 to be able to get 1 yard.

It's not just the fact that there's a massive drop off from Stroud to McCord that's giving us confidence. It's the fact that Notre Dame ran down their throats. Their coach is holding back tears from an 86 year old, half-senile domer homer saying that he thinks ND will be able to run the ball on OSU. It's the fact that last year OSU struggled in short-yardage on offense and it appears they still do (see 11 on 10, jet sweep on 4th and inches).

It's not just the fact that there's a massive drop off from Stroud to McCord that's giving us confidence. It's the fact that Notre Dame ran down their throats. Their coach is holding back tears from an 86 year old, half-senile domer homer saying that he thinks ND will be able to run the ball on OSU. It's the fact that last year OSU struggled in short-yardage on offense and it appears they still do (see 11 on 10, jet sweep on 4th and inches).

Will hey naw ima till ewe this and that's Ahia University State was lucky to win that game, no matter what theer coach Wayne Woodrow Day says I said that Nutter Dam was a goood futbaw team and that their transfer QB, Terry Hannratty, wuz gonna give them Ohio U Buckcats fits with that triple option offense I invented in 1943 and they cuddnt stop the Arsh's running game with a ten foot pole and I tol you already that the Newter Dame tradition was the 11th man on the field on that final play where the Buckcatz ran that play that shouldnt a counted nohow because everyone could see that his knee was on the ground first. If id a been coaching that game I'd have never thrown no guldurn screen pass inside my own 5 with 2:00 on that clock and don't fergit that my house burned down and I still managed to git my Rusty Lisch scrapbook outta the safe in time and one more thing the next time that Nooter Dam plays them Miami of Ohio Bobeyes, I'll say what I already said already to theer stupid coach Rod Richrigues --- YOU SUCK AND THAT GOES FOR YOUR WHOLE TEAM, DUMMAS

EDIT: And one more thing: I ain't never not goin ta tell nobody nothing that they don't need to heer and thats the truth. Ray Knight, the Toleda Footbaww coach shuld thank me for me tellin it like it is.

Last edited:
In the same post that you downplay JJ's 11.0 ypa performance you are trying to convince me that McCord is not shitty based on his 6.5 ypa performance. And one of them have all-world receivers to throw to and one doesn't. So McCord is "good" because of a 5/14 final drive in which 2 balls should have been picked off and he took an intentional grounding penalty that cost his team their final timeout. And we're absolutely NOT allowed to point out that it was complete luck that he even had an opportunity to continue the drive, but we are going to write off TD runs of 75 and 85 yards as "luck" (even though they were the result of a high-risk defensive strategy that failed).

And I am the one who is being biased?

And for the record, the fact that they barely got across the goalline against air may be irrelevant for that play, but it does bode well for other teams that they needed an 11 on 10 to be able to get 1 yard.

sigh, I'm not saying JJ is a bad qb so just stop it and I'm not saying McCord is better. I said he played better against ND than JJ has the last 2 weeks. That's an entirely different statement. You're pulling a michturd here and making up an argument I'm not making.

ND didn't run it down their throats - they had more success than uofm did last year without the 2 fluke plays, I'll agree with you there but they didn't blow the doors off them in the run game. You have a good point about that one play and Ryan Day's reaction though - those are the kind of things (a single play and a heat of the moment outburst) that really tell you all you need to know about a team.

Last edited:
Back