Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Passing yards this week

zyxt9

IMO, they need to use this week vs a weaker opponent to show they can throw the football. Preferably over 400 yards in the air.

They have proven they can run, now prove they can throw.

Part of this is to make sure they do not lose potential WR recruits. I believe one reason they lack WRs now is due to how DPJ, Black, and other high star WRs underperformed due to them lacking a good enough QB.

They need to have 1 long TD, 50+ yards, to a WR.

Yes. NEED. Not so much for winning this game, but future ones.

I can't imagine throwing for over 400 yards unless NIU has one of the worst secondaries on earth. Pretty clear that the philosophy this season is to run the ball as much as Army, Navy, and Air Force. The roster has no proven WRs and no TEs that have ever produced anything.

We just have to hope we continue to pave defenses into the ground. Likely unsustainable, but weapons for the passing game and playcalling leave a lot to be desired.

I can't imagine throwing for over 400 yards unless NIU has one of the worst secondaries on earth. Pretty clear that the philosophy this season is to run the ball as much as Army, Navy, and Air Force. The roster has no proven WRs and no TEs that have ever produced anything.

We just have to hope we continue to pave defenses into the ground. Likely unsustainable, but weapons for the passing game and playcalling leave a lot to be desired.

agreed.

this is not the kinda season where you worry about the statistics looking pretty.

just win games... ugly. and preferably by a comfortable margin, while
holding the ball for long periods of time because with our weak secondary, teams are going to be able to score quickly on us

"run/pass balance" is something a talking head made up. it has no bearing on who wins the game. You don't get points for having passing yards, only TDs.

It matters to potential WR recruits.

It does and we definitely don't look attractive to WR recruits right now. Still, we're talking about a group of WRs and TEs who have not even combined for 1000 yards (935) for the entirety of their careers. They aren't all of a sudden going to shred a team for over 400 yards.

I'm hoping that the run game mashing teams into dust will start forcing teams to stack the box and play action passes will turn into easy big hitters. I can't realistically expect anything else out of this passing attack.

It matters to potential WR recruits.

maybe.

but probably not as much as joining a winning team that isn't plagued by media coverage of whether the coach is on the hot seat, or when he's going to get fired.

It does and we definitely don't look attractive to WR recruits right now. Still, we're talking about a group of WRs and TEs who have not even combined for 1000 yards (935) for the entirety of their careers. They aren't all of a sudden going to shred a team for over 400 yards.

I'm hoping that the run game mashing teams into dust will start forcing teams to stack the box and play action passes will turn into easy big hitters. I can't realistically expect anything else out of this passing attack.

When I started following college football in the late 60s and 70s, teams used to win national championships doing this all the time. Even Michigan used to win the Big 10 championship often doing this.

This was kinda the offensive model for the 97 co-national championship team. Having maybe the greatest defense of all time didn?t hurt.

How did Bo ever recruit Anthony Carter?

Or Desmond Howard?

That was a VERY different era and you know it.

Today WRs are coming in and wanting to put up 1,000 yards in each of 2 or 3 years and be drafted in Top 10. That is the idea in the heads of the 5* WRs. That is what O$U, Bama, etc. are offering. Last time UM got top WR talent they squandered it.

I am not wanting them to become pass only, but this upcoming game is their one chance this year to put the passing game first and put up big numbers to show top WRs these coaches can and will do that when they have the talent advantage to make it happen.

It also is the game that gives this group the chance to come together in a game, gaining confidence and building toward being a reliable part of the game as opposed to weakness.

They proved they can do the Ground Attack, they are confident in that and could return to it should it be necessary. But trying to get the passing attack jump started this week is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a VERY different era and you know it.

Today WRs are coming in and wanting to put up 1,000 yards in each of 2 or 3 years and be drafted in Top 10. That is the idea in the heads of the 5* WRs. That is what O$U, Bama, etc. are offering. Last time UM got top WR talent they squandered it.

I am not wanting them to become pass only, but this upcoming game is their one chance this year to put the passing game first and put up big numbers to show top WRs these coaches can and will do that when they have the talent advantage to make it happen.

It also is the game that gives this group the chance to come together in a game, gaining confidence and building toward being a reliable part of the game as opposed to weakness.

They proved they can do the Ground Attack, they are confident in that and could return to it should it be necessary. But trying to get the passing attack jump started this week is important.

How do you know this and why do you say this?

If, like you say, teams start to stack the box to take away the run there should be plenty of chances to showcase the passing game.

I don?t think any coach would go into a game with the strategy being ?guys, this week we?re going to throw a bunch of passes for the exclusive purpose of showing high school kids who are probably still in bed anyway that we can do it, regardless of whether it?s the best strategic playcall on a given play or not.?

When I started following college football in the late 60s and 70s, teams used to win national championships doing this all the time. Even Michigan used to win the Big 10 championship often doing this.

This was kinda the offensive model for the 97 co-national championship team. Having maybe the greatest defense of all time didn?t hurt.

It can still be effective. The weird part is that we aren't using play action through the first two games. Hoping that changes soon.

You cannot seriously think potential WRs have not repeatedly heard that UM is #4 in fewest pass attempts with only the Academies having fewer and not think that doesn't have them thinking about their potential futures.

Add in the horrific misuse of DPJ, Black, and others and they would need to already be diehard Wolverines to want to go to UM.

If the coaches are not thinking about recruits and perceptions, they would not try bringing in so many recruits for the Washington game
They must think about recruits and perceptions constantly. That includes perceptions of weaknesses and areas of concern. Coming out and stating that Huskies LB was a motivating reason for continuing to run the ball is good, but now they need to address all those people saying UM cannot pass the ball.

On one hand they are saying we will prove that we can and will run as much as we want with success. Now they need to come up with a similar attitude to attack those saying UM cannot pass the ball.

Northern Illinois is the perfect potential victim to shread those nay-sayers and doubters. They absolutely need to showcase a strong passing game over the next few weeks.

Use play action if that is what it takes, but they need to do this for their reputation with future recruits.

AC might not have had the opportunity to see how little UM used to pass, but back then there were not any nationally recognized teams who were throwing 50+ times per game. Today is different with the internet and numerous TV games.

After only two games and two wins there has not been much to comment on yet. But there's a combination of concerns regarding the passing game. That long pass to Bell that resulted in a TD was underthrown. A similar pass in the Washington game was also underthrown, but this time ended in an incomplete because the DB knocked it away. In future games, if DBs take note of this and turn to look for the underthrown pass it could result in interceptions. Is Cade's arm strong enough to make these passes? The pass blocking also needs work. Cade tends to hang on to the ball, it seems for a long time, and so the pass blocking has got to sustain blocks or he is going to get sacked, and/or Cade needs to be coached to throw the ball away if he doesn't find an open receiver in a given time. Also, there were some whiffed blocks vs the Huskies that can't happen. The receivers need to get open and catch the ball when it is thrown to them. Can't drop passes when the ball hits you right in the hands.

Meanwhile, OSU is in a panic after the loss to the Ducks. We can only hope it spreads through the program and they start turning on each other.

It can still be effective. The weird part is that we aren't using play action through the first two games. Hoping that changes soon.

from what I saw in the second half last Saturday, we didn't really let McNamara throw downfield at all. I only saw bubble screens (or sideline passes), all of which were covered well by UW.

maybe they felt UW's secondary was too good and the risk of an interception too great, or maybe McNamara is just not ready to make those throws.

I didn't see the WMU game, so I don't know how he looked the week before.

I think we did the right thing... I saw how easily UW scored on us to make it 24-10. They had plenty of time to score two
more TDs like that if we gave them back the ball by throwing INTs, or incomplete passes and stopping the clock

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot seriously think potential WRs have not repeatedly heard that UM is #4 in fewest pass attempts with only the Academies having fewer and not think that doesn't have them thinking about their potential futures.

Add in the horrific misuse of DPJ, Black, and others and they would need to already be diehard Wolverines to want to go to UM.

If the coaches are not thinking about recruits and perceptions, they would not try bringing in so many recruits for the Washington game
They must think about recruits and perceptions constantly. That includes perceptions of weaknesses and areas of concern. Coming out and stating that Huskies LB was a motivating reason for continuing to run the ball is good, but now they need to address all those people saying UM cannot pass the ball.

On one hand they are saying we will prove that we can and will run as much as we want with success. Now they need to come up with a similar attitude to attack those saying UM cannot pass the ball.

Northern Illinois is the perfect potential victim to shread those nay-sayers and doubters. They absolutely need to showcase a strong passing game over the next few weeks.

Use play action if that is what it takes, but they need to do this for their reputation with future recruits.

AC might not have had the opportunity to see how little UM used to pass, but back then there were not any nationally recognized teams who were throwing 50+ times per game. Today is different with the internet and numerous TV games.

I can say with complete confidence there?s isn?t a subject in the universe I think about less.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

from what I saw in the second half last Saturday, we didn't really let McNamara throw downfield at all. I only saw bubble screens (or sideline passes), all of which were covered well by UW.

maybe they felt UW's secondary was too good and the risk of an interception too great, or maybe McNamara is just not ready to make those throws.

I didn't see the WMU game, so I don't know how he looked the week before.

I think we did the right thing... I saw how easily UW scored on us to make it 24-10. They had plenty of time to score two
more TDs like that if we gave them back the ball by throwing INTs, or incomplete passes and stopping the clock

When we got stuffed on the goal line in the 1st quarter against UW, we used play action zero times. I'm pretty sure we never ran play action the entire game. That set of downs on the goal line was the perfect time to use it, but instead we ran straight up the middle, sprint out pass to the right, ran straight up the middle, and ran straight up the middle again. Might not have been a big deal in the outcome, but that's a place you have to put the ball in the endzone against better teams.

I'm honestly not sure we ran play action against WMU either. Maybe once.

Went through the plays against WMU and we had one PA pass. So in two games with a run game dominating, we have thrown one PA pass. That can't continue against better competition.

Went through the plays against WMU and we had one PA pass. So in two games with a run game dominating, we have thrown one PA pass. That can't continue against better competition.

There?s a length of the field difference between ?let?s mix in some more passing, especially play action on goal line/red zone situations? and ?let?s make our primary goal throwing for 400 yards just to show that we can.?

Back