Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Passing yards this week

There?s a length of the field difference between ?let?s mix in some more passing, especially play action on goal line/red zone situations? and ?let?s make our primary goal throwing for 400 yards just to show that we can.?

Completely agree and I don't think we should try and throw for 400 yards. Mostly because I'm pretty sure we can't accomplish that and attempting it would be an ugly mess.

I did forget we had one PA pass against UW, so we're averaging 1 per game.

Completely agree and I don't think we should try and throw for 400 yards. Mostly because I'm pretty sure we can't accomplish that and attempting it would be an ugly mess.

I did forget we had one PA pass against UW, so [/B]we're averaging 1 per game[/B].

Well, that?s a step in the right direction.

l suppose it's possible to rack up 99 yards on a single throw. if we throw four 99 yard passes against Northern Illinois, that gets us close to 400 yards, while still ensuring the vast majority of our offensive plays are runs.

zyxt's hypothetical high school recruits will still be happy, unless they prefer catching many short passes to catching one long pass.

l suppose it's possible to rack up 99 yards on a single throw. if we throw four 99 yard passes against Northern Illinois, that gets us close to 400 yards, while still ensuring the vast majority of our offensive plays are runs.

zyxt's hypothetical high school recruits will still be happy, unless they prefer catching many short passes to catching one long pass.

Harbaugh: "We're going to hit you at the 15 and then you will run the remaining 85 so you get all the screen time, which, naturally, gets you max exposure for potential endorsements."

Five-Star Recruit: "Cool, but no garbage-time TDs when no body is watching."

Harbaugh: "What's an acceptable point differential?"

FSR: "My people will have an answer for you. And other metrics will factor in, like the opponent, time of game and the running audience size at the time. And the number of eyes on me dips below 5,000,000 at any time, I'm in the portal the next day."

Harbaugh: "So I should cancel plans for tomorrow's statue reveal?"

FSR: "No. I mean, just my consideration should get me immortalized on your campus."

Harbaugh: "I know, right?"

geez... these kids today are something else, I tell you!

(But in all seriousness the coaches who pander to this crap share a lot of the blame)

I would not last long as a Power 5 College HC, or in any division, because I would not recruit. I'd flip the table and say "tell me why you think you are worthy to play here." I may not have a competitive team on the field, but my players would be here for the right reasons.

I saw a video of Dabo Sweeney on a private jet with his current QB. The plane was circling the Clemson stadium. "That's where you are goin ta be thowin' touchdowns," said Dabo, pointing.

I would not last long as a Power 5 College HC, or in any division, because I would not recruit. I'd flip the table and say "tell me why you think you are worthy to play here." I may not have a competitive team on the field, but my players would be here for the right reasons.

I saw a video of Dabo Sweeney on a private jet with his current QB. The plane was circling the Clemson stadium. "That's where you are goin ta be thowin' touchdowns," said Dabo, pointing.

oh, I think Dabo is the worst of them.

I had a health class teacher in HS that had coached a state championship bball team back in the 70's, and then served as an assistant to Jud Heathcote at MSU for a spell.

there were rumors he had a breakdown and that's why he left MSU. I have no idea if that's true or not, but he did talk to our class once about his frustration with having to kiss recruits' asses and how he couldn't believe what some of them had the nerve to put he and Jud through on the recruiting trail.

I don't think I could tolerate that either, without a dramatic change in my worldview.

But I can see how glad handers & used car salesmen types like Jerry Tarkanian have the perfect temperament for it.

oh, I think Dabo is the worst of them.

I had a health class teacher in HS that had coached a state championship bball team back in the 70's, and then served as an assistant to Jud Heathcote at MSU for a spell.

there were rumors he had a breakdown and that's why he left MSU. I have no idea if that's true or not, but he did talk to our class once about his frustration with having to kiss recruits' asses and how he couldn't believe what some of them had the nerve to put he and Jud through on the recruiting trail.

I don't think I could tolerate that either, without a dramatic change in my worldview.

But I can see how glad handers & used car salesmen types like Jerry Tarkanian have the perfect temperament for it.

Bill Norton? I remember that 1973-1974 team. Will Franklin and Mike Breilmeier (also a HS baseball opponent for two years and three games) were notable players on that team.

I also remember going to see BR (Franklin) at Ferndale (Tom Staton) the next season the gym was packed to the point that people were sitting on the floor. That was a common circumstance for HS basketball back then, even at our middling HS program. (RO Kimball)

Bill Norton? I remember that 1973-1974 team. Will Franklin and Mike Breilmeier (also a HS baseball opponent for two years and three games) were notable players on that team.

I also remember going to see BR (Franklin) at Ferndale (Tom Staton) the next season the gym was packed to the point that people were sitting on the floor. That was a common circumstance for HS basketball back then, even at our middling HS program. (RO Kimball)

Yep. Bill Norton.

He was a bit of an eccentric guy, but always entertaining.

I guess he coached basketball a second time in the late 90's, but had some dispute with the school Administration, and left completely to teach at Groves.

This type of kiss ass recruiting is why I love that Juwan Howard tells recruits that Michigan is not for everyone.

Wouldn't it be funny if Rocky Lombardi beat michigan two years in a row as a heavy underdog?

Wouldn't it be funny if Rocky Lombardi beat michigan two years in a row as a heavy underdog?

If he does, he does. I'll certainly expect NIU to go vertical early in the game. Probably PA on second down in its initial possession.

Last edited:
If he does, he does. I'll certainly expect NIU to go vertical early in the game. Probably PA on second down in its initial possession.

Not likely, but it would be kinda funny. He's picked up right where he left off w/ a 1:1 TD to interception ratio so far this season.

I think everyone will be testing your secondary this year, so far it doesn't seem much improved unfortunately. The offense looks pretty decent though, if a bit one-dimensional. That's probably good enough to compete against most teams on the schedule.

Last edited:
Not likely, but it would be kinda funny. He's picked up right where he left off w/ a 1:1 TD to interception ratio so far this season.

I think everyone will be testing your secondary this year, so far it doesn't seem much improved unfortunately. The offense looks pretty decent though, if a bit one-dimensional. That's probably good enough to compete against most teams on the schedule.

I just reminded myself that I don't think on MSU at all, unless it it playing Michigan.

I just saw the Freep mention this possibility, and thought it was strange since we don't play MSU until the end of October. I had no idea Lombardi transferred to NIU.

our secondary is lousy, but not on the dysfunctional level of whatever was going on off the field last year, with rumors circulating that our DB coach was AWOL from the program completely. That was... surreal. But last year was not a normal year (in football or real life). At least compared to the prior few decades. Hopefully it is not more like the new norm.

I just reminded myself that I don't think on MSU at all, unless it it playing Michigan.

except when you're on the MSU thread congratulating them on their week 1 win.

Unless you find you frequently have to remind yourself of things these days, it's probably no big deal.

I just saw the Freep mention this possibility, and thought it was strange since we don't play MSU until the end of October. I had no idea Lombardi transferred to NIU.

our secondary is lousy, but not on the dysfunctional level of whatever was going on off the field last year, with rumors circulating that our DB coach was AWOL from the program completely. That was... surreal. But last year was not a normal year (in football or real life). At least compared to the prior few decades. Hopefully it is not more like the new norm.

Anybody know what channel this must-see game is on?

That?s why the number one priority this week is to pass for 400+ yards.

except when you're on the MSU thread congratulating them on their week 1 win.

Unless you find you frequently have to remind yourself of things these days, it's probably no big deal.

Well, I was just being gracious, forthright, and magnanimous.

Back