Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peacock and football

I'm only going to watch a few selected games this season. MSU, OSU for certain. The others? Probably not. I'd rather be doing something, like biking, working in the yard, playing guitar, building something, reading, spending time with my bride, playing golf. I'm not going to arrange my Saturday around any sporting event.

I have listened to M football while doing some of these things, and I like that experience, although Doug Karsch's voice is like listening to a shovel on concrete.

That?s sweet.

When I was a teen, attending Ann Arbor Pioneer High School, right around the same time the Harbaugh brothers were there, my dad and I would do yard work while listening to M football on the radio.

I don?t know who Doug Karsch is.

Is Jim Brandstatter no longer around?

Go Blue.

It?s from Amazon. It?s like a Roku if you?ve ever used one of those devices - which would also be an option if you have an aversion to Amazon or Jeff Bezos?

Roku?

Isn?t that some kind of sex toy?

I can listen to the audio of game on the official M athletic website over the Internet.

Maybe some higher power is encouraging me to do that, and channel the time I used to spend with my dear sweet darling departed father.

Although if Roku really is a sex toy, I?ll probably want to look into that.

EDIT: We have Amazon Prime because my wife pays about a third of Bezos?s salary through Amazon deliveries, and when I?m watching TV or movies, I literally live on IMDb.

I have no aversion to Bezos at all - in fact, now that you brought it up, I should give him a call and tell him that he owes me a ride on his space rocket.

Last edited:
Here's a somewhat informative article on the Big Ten's television rights negotiations.

Sounds like the lion's share of Big Ten games (i.e. around 40 games) will be on the BTN. CBS will air 7 games, NBC will air 16 (which will also be streamed on Peacock), Peacock will exclusively stream 8 games, Fox (or FS1) will air 15-16, and ABC and ESPN might pick games here and there as the season goes on.

Regarding the only games we care about, the only Michigan game on Peacock or NBC is ECU. That's so dumb.

Our other games are set as I explained in my other post. It looks like we won't know how to watch our games against Rutgers, Nebraska, IU, Minnesota, MSU, Maryland, or Purdue until we get closer to those dates.

That?s sweet.

When I was a teen, attending Ann Arbor Pioneer High School, right around the same time the Harbaugh brothers were there, my dad and I would do yard work while listening to M football on the radio.

Last year I listened to M throttle OSU on OSU radio while driving through Ohio. Talk about Schadenfreude. But that Buckeye radio crew was the best I've ever heard.

I don?t know who Doug Karsch is.
He replaced Branstatter as the play-by-play guy.

Is Jim Brandstatter no longer around?
Both he and Dierdorf retired after the 2021 season.

Hail to the Victors.

Roku?

Isn?t that some kind of sex toy?

I can listen to the audio of game on the official M athletic website over the Internet.

Maybe some higher power is encouraging me to do that, and channel the time I used to spend with my dear sweet darling departed father.

Although if Roku really is a sex toy, I?ll probably want to look into that.

EDIT: We have Amazon Prime because my wife pays about a third of Bezos?s salary through Amazon deliveries, and when I?m watching TV or movies, I literally live on IMDb.

I have no aversion to Bezos at all - in fact, now that you brought it up, I should give him a call and tell him that he owes me a ride on his space rocket.

Sex toy? I thought Roku was some kind of noodles.

Give me the days when the games were on ABC and you knew you were going to get a great caller like Kieth Jackson. With all these new outlets you are likely to get some third string crew calling the game. I hate that!

I agree with Tinsel, I'm listening to it on the radio like the old days.

I can?t get Peacock without getting an updated DVR.

I?m intending to get an updated DVR, but I?m not gonna run out and get one to see the game Saturday.

Fuck it.

I was born in 1960, and I grew up listening to Michigan football on the radio.

I?m pretty sure I can get the radio cast on my handheld device.

So fuck it, I?ll just follow the game on audio like I used to, while I go out and make money.

I'm the same age as you and have never gotten over either a tailgate or viewing party for every Michigan game. It would be different if both my wife's and my families weren't stacked with legacies going back before the stadium was built. When living in Ann Arbor/Saline, we were part of one those annoying group tailgates across from the stadium that brought in generators, and had entire buffets set up. Before the TV's showed up, we would have Bob Ufer blasting loud enough for the entire neighborhood. Talk about a labor of love - after 5 years or so of that, we had to give that up. Raising a kid finally made us "grow up".

So, we will continue to set up our lives around every Michigan game. A least we usually get some good food, at least once a week.

It wasn't an option to not get Peacock, but I will cancel after this game if there are no more on Peacock.

I'm the same age as you and have never gotten over either a tailgate or viewing party for every Michigan game. It would be different if both my wife's and my families weren't stacked with legacies going back before the stadium was built. When living in Ann Arbor/Saline, we were part of one those annoying group tailgates across from the stadium that brought in generators, and had entire buffets set up. Before the TV's showed up, we would have Bob Ufer blasting loud enough for the entire neighborhood. Talk about a labor of love - after 5 years or so of that, we had to give that up. Raising a kid finally made us "grow up".

So, we will continue to set up our lives around every Michigan game. A least we usually get some good food, at least once a week.

It wasn't an option to not get Peacock, but I will cancel after this game if there are no more on Peacock.

One thing I missed out on is regularly tailgating in Ann Arbor. For a few different reasons I never did as a student. and while I had a lot of family members that went to Michigan, none of them regularly went to games, and my dad thought football (and sports in general) were a dumb waste of time. So there was no family tradition.

When I went back as an alum, there would always be huge tailgates we'd go to, and I saw what I missed out on. Would be a lot of fun to get a crew of friends and acquaintances together and make our own traditions and what not.

One thing I missed out on is regularly tailgating in Ann Arbor. For a few different reasons I never did as a student. and while I had a lot of family members that went to Michigan, none of them regularly went to games, and my dad thought football (and sports in general) were a dumb waste of time. So there was no family tradition.

When I went back as an alum, there would always be huge tailgates we'd go to, and I saw what I missed out on. Would be a lot of fun to get a crew of friends and acquaintances together and make our own traditions and what not.

Your dad was smart. Sports are a huge waste of time, but I enjoy it. There are all sorts of things that are a waste of time.

Even though I'm not a UM fan, I loved tailgating at the golf course. I haven't been in a while.

Your dad was smart. Sports are a huge waste of time, but I enjoy it. There are all sorts of things that are a waste of time.

Even though I'm not a UM fan, I loved tailgating at the golf course. I haven't been in a while.

Eh... It's not like he was spending his Saturdays developing string theory, solving any other of humanity's dilemmas, contributing anything useful to society, or even just like building a birdhouse or something like that. He might as well been watching college football...

Last edited by a moderator:

I hear you on parents. The Michigan fandom skipped both my parents. (They were U of D, and Marygrove graduates).

Two things probably pegged me a tailgate fan for life. 1) Attending my first tailgate for that homecoming game against Indiana, where Anthony Carter won it on the last play, and 2) Meeting my wife whose family was off-the-charts tailgate junkies.

Maybe I could go again, if I revved up one of those go-go scooters. Go figure. :*)

Cool.

You live in the south now, right?

Atlanta, right?

Back in the day, I would often do promotions at USC and UCLA games for various media entities I was employed by, and would listen to the Michigan games on the radio while
I was working.

I?m definitely not missing the game.

Just not gonna go out of my way to watch it on Peacock.

Mgoblue.com audio will be fine.

Mgoblue.com audio will be fine.

Ah, so you use the interwebs to listen to games. I wondered.

See when I was a kid, you guys weren't Old Guys yet. But back then, Old Guys "listened to the ball game" on a thing that looked like this:

49552706638_b1fe7ab5bc.jpg

So I wondered what Old Guys use to listen to ball games in 2023. I haven't seen any transistor radios around in a long time.

Ah, so you use the interwebs to listen to games. I wondered.

See when I was a kid, you guys weren't Old Guys yet. But back then, Old Guys "listened to the ball game" on a thing that looked like this:

49552706638_b1fe7ab5bc.jpg

So I wondered what Old Guys use to listen to ball games in 2023. I haven't seen any transistor radios around in a long time.

I?m pretty sure the radio cast will be unavailable for me. Literally, the UCLA game has had to be moved from its primary radio cast station.

I?ve learnt to pull up M games of various sports from various media on the inter web. I?m sure I?ll be fine.

Also I?ll be damned if I?m gonna be forced to run out and get another TV channel when I can hear the radio just fine.

They can gtf off my lawn.

I has a Rhapsody transistor radio I got for Christmas 1967 that I used through college to listen to Michigan and Tiger games. Had the ear bud way back then that plugged into the radio.

Last edited:
Cool.

You live in the south now, right?

Atlanta, right?

Sorry I missed this question. Yes live in Atlanta now. The M club here is strong - has been ever since the Michigan to Georgia migration from a few years ago. :*)

I think the last straw was the weather. For early Spring and late Fall, give me swimming vs snow drifts any day.

However, meeting at the chosen locations soured a bit when Michigan lost a home opener to App State (I actually had 4 window flags on the car back then - how embarrassing). In any case, I r a redneck now, it actually feels cold when the temp goes below 50. I know - bunch of tenderfoots down here, but I have been assimilated by the Southern Borg.

.... I know - bunch of tenderfoots down here, but I have been assimilated by the Southern Borg.

I have not been. I have never said "y'all" I still say "You all" or "All of You."

I hate it here.

I know what you're saying about the weather in Michigan, but this year from about June through, well... now it's too hot to do shit outside until the sun goes down. And even then we had long stretches in the summer where it was still in the high 80's and humid as a swamp as late as 9 or 10 PM. Just brutal.

I hope you held on to your place in Michigan because in 15-20 years (if not sooner), parts of the deep south are going to be uninhabitable. And the parts right on the coast uninsurable (some already are).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been. I have never said "y'all" I still say "You all" or "All of You."

I hate it here.

I know what you're saying about the weather in Michigan, but this year from about June through, well... now it's too hot to do shit outside until the sun goes down. And even then we had long stretches in the summer where it was still in the high 80's and humid as a swamp as late as 9 or 10 PM. Just brutal.

I hope you held on to your place in Michigan because in 15-20 years (if not sooner), parts of the deep south are going to be uninhabitable. And the parts right on the coast uninsurable (some already are).

Ive been going to Georgia the last 3 Summers. Up until 3 yrs ago, I had never been there in my existence. I cant imagine never going back. Ill probably move there when I retire, because I need a warmer environment for my surgically repaired body. Everywhere we visit, the people are just straight up nice and welcoming and we have a blast everytime. The beer is unbelievably good and so is the food. And no, ill never say y'all. I went to school at Tennessee for 2 yrs and vowed to never do it.

Well, I picked up the "Bless your heart" trope. No Southern drawl.

Totally agree that the heat is stifling between mid-June until football season, but walking distance pools, and being forced to replace furnace\air conditioners, have made it bearable.

I can't say I hate it, because outside of an occasional "bless your heart", people can be pretty nice. Atlanta is one of the most diverse cities in the South.

I think Atlanta is also one of the highest elevations for state capitols east of the Mississippi or some crap like that. I think I am safe in that respect - not that I want any state to become uninhabitable. If nothing else, you will be in Texas with millions of immigrants - maybe it will get better. :*)

Have a very small cabin near New Haven with some other family members - gets usage from snow melt to snow fall near Halloween.

Back