Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pest control?

Right. Then what do you call the team you like the next best? Or does having a favorite mean you can't even like something else. If chocolate ice cream is your favorite, can you not like black raspberry? If you love your wife and she is your favorite woman, does that mean you must hate all other women? Do you have the same criticism of The Sound of Music - These Are a Few of My Favorite Things. No, no, no, you cannot divide your loyalty you must choose between raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens. If I said both were my favorite, that would be a contradiction but MSU is my favorite for a reason. The "second" in second favorite indicates michigan is #2 on my list of favorite college teams. There is no contradiction, nor does liking a school where two siblings and many friends went divide my loyalty. I guess it just means I'm better at multi-tasking than most...

Apparently I have struck a nerve. Riffing The Sound of Music to belabor a point that does not apply here. I am one who commits 100% to a single sports program. And you treat Michigan rather poorly for it being a "favorite" team.

Apparently I have struck a nerve. Riffing The Sound of Music to belabor a point that does not apply here. I am one who commits 100% to a single sports program. And you treat Michigan rather poorly for it being a "favorite" team.

No nerves - it would take a lot more for you to offend me. It's an apt and clever reference but not all that obscure since I have young kids who like to sing. I don't believe you are 100% committed to a single program - aren't you a big baseball fan? How about the Lions? Do you feel your loyalty divided by that? Probably not, and I wouldn't say it is. I'm 100% Spartan but that doesn't mean I can't also like michigan. Cracking a joke among Spartan fans about Michigan not scoring a TD on our defense in 2 years is hardly poor treatment. Notice I've said nothing of the result or anything antagonizing to anyone on the michigan board.

Last edited:
I look at it as having a second favorite wife, generally you only have one, unless you're mitt romney's grandpa

To each his own. Personally, I don't see where cheering for michigan to beat everyone except msu poses any kind of conflict. I see the point in the case of a title race where a michigan loss helps us out but really, blaming another team for us not winning the title (or a piece of it) is a pretty weak argument. Bragging about taking the back door to the championship is for badger fans.

pot-kettle? to be fair, some jokes are so bad, it's nearly impossible to tell they're jokes...

Some of yours are, anyway...

I did get a chuckle out of this one though.

"Do you have the same criticism of The Sound of Music - These Are a Few of My Favorite Things. No, no, no, you cannot divide your loyalty you must choose between raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens."

To each his own. Personally, I don't see where cheering for michigan to beat everyone except msu poses any kind of conflict. I see the point in the case of a title race where a michigan loss helps us out but really, blaming another team for us not winning the title (or a piece of it) is a pretty weak argument. Bragging about taking the back door to the championship is for badger fans.

for me, i just don't like to cheer for our rivals. it's all about what's good for MSU, i want what's best for us so i'll cheer for Michigan next week. in general, nothing good for MSU comes from a Michigan win other than those rare occasions like the Indiana hoops game at crisler, etc. those are one off scenarios

No nerves - it would take a lot more for you to offend me. It's an apt and clever reference but not all that obscure since I have young kids who like to sing. I don't believe you are 100% committed to a single program - aren't you a big baseball fan? How about the Lions? Do you feel your loyalty divided by that? Probably not, and I wouldn't say it is. I'm 100% Spartan but that doesn't mean I can't also like michigan. Cracking a joke among Spartan fans about Michigan not scoring a TD on our defense in 2 years is hardly poor treatment. Notice I've said nothing of the result or anything antagonizing to anyone on the michigan board.

I admit it's going to be very difficult for me to decide who to back when the Tigers and the Red Wings play each other.

for me, i just don't like to cheer for our rivals. it's all about what's good for MSU, i want what's best for us so i'll cheer for Michigan next week. in general, nothing good for MSU comes from a Michigan win other than those rare occasions like the Indiana hoops game at crisler, etc. those are one off scenarios

That's fine. The way i look at it, the more games michigan wins the better we look when we beat them (and when we lose to them). Not many teams on our schedule can do that. But I think we would agree that first and foremost, it's better to see MSU take care of business on the field/court/ice and not need another team to lose.

I admit it's going to be very difficult for me to decide who to back when the Tigers and the Red Wings play each other.

Then you're not 100% committed. When my first and second favorites face each other, i'm not the least bit conflicted.

if i have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand it

Ummm....

Your fellow knows that byco will never be faced with the dilemma of choosing between the Detroit Tigers and the Detroit Red Wings.

He was making a joke.

I got it.

Ummm....

Your fellow knows that byco will never be faced with the dilemma of choosing between the Detroit Tigers and the Detroit Red Wings.

He was making a joke.

I got it.

Ding, ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. If you have to explain your own jokes, they're probably not funny. Thank God tinsel was here to explain it for me...(pssst - that too was a joke)

Last edited:
I had a few State friends that said Michigan was their 2nd favorite team...

I actually had a similar discussion to this with byco a few years back, back in the ESPN days, on the Detroit Tigers board, when I referred to the Dodgers as being "my national league team."

But that's a little different; except for the rare time the Tigers and Dodgers face off in inter-league, or should the two face in the World Series (which I really was hoping was going to happen this year), Dodger success has 0 negative impact on the Tigers.

A very different scenario than in the case of the division rival Spartans and Wolverines.

I actually had a similar discussion to this with byco a few years back, back in the ESPN days, on the Detroit Tigers board, when I referred to the Dodgers as being "my national league team."

But that's a little different; except for the rare time the Tigers and Dodgers face off in inter-league, or should the two face in the World Series (which I really was hoping was going to happen this year), Dodger success has 0 negative impact on the Tigers.

A very different scenario than in the case of the division rival Spartans and Wolverines.

I've always kind of liked the Pirates as a second MLB team but in general, I don't really give a shit if they lose. comparing college and pro doesn't really work though, maybe because one school is your school but you can pretty much adopt any pro team if you want. when I was a kid I liked Notre dame but I also liked MSU, FSU, Nebraska, Colorado, and a bunch of other programs. once I had "my school" there wasn't a second favorite.

I've always kind of liked the Pirates as a second MLB team but in general, I don't really give a shit if they lose. comparing college and pro doesn't really work though, maybe because one school is your school but you can pretty much adopt any pro team if you want. when I was a kid I liked Notre dame but I also liked MSU, FSU, Nebraska, Colorado, and a bunch of other programs. once I had "my school" there wasn't a second favorite.

Women and children fans can afford to be careless and whimsical. Not men.

what's whimsical about not hating michigan? This sounds like the argument from the espn boards that said if you don't think MD is a great coach and recruiter then you're not a real fan and you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who would rather see a dirty football factory like osu or a failed football factory and faux B1G team like psu or nebraska do better than michigan just because michigan gets more attention in-state and nationally is the careless, whimsical, jealous "little brother" fan who doesn't get it. If michigan loses 4 or 5 games, it's meaningless (certainly less meaningful) if we were one of the teams to beat them. In that scenario, they have probably lost to at least 2 teams worse than us.

Last edited:
Back