Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peter King Has An Excellent Breakdown of Stafford Trade

2021 2 wins
2022 4 wins
2023 5 wins

11-37 and DC and Holmes get fired. 2024 time for an actual rebuild. Not this fake rebuild with 0 cap bullshit.

2021 2 wins
2022 4 wins
2023 5 wins

11-37 and DC and Holmes get fired. 2024 time for an actual rebuild. Not this fake rebuild with 0 cap bullshit.

It's just for one year, and the lions already didn't have cap space to begin with. Literally the following year we are going to have 68 mil available, with a bunch of huge contract cuts we can make to save space. We can finally cut jamie collins and trey flowers. Which will give us another 20+million to spend. That is all with keeping Goff if we feel like it.

The Lions don't need much cap space for free agents. Good free agents don't want to come to Detroit.

Trading for future firsts gives Holmes a longer leash IMO. I think he’s gets until at least 2025/2026.

I don’t think the cap issue matters this year, the Lions are pretty much guaranteed to suck for at least the next two years. Any FA they sign or could’ve signed would simply be a body during the rebuild. Based on the current state of the team, I’d put a realistic timeline at ~4 years until it’s clear whether the rebuild is working or not, any FA we sign now will likely be due up for another contract by then.

Trading for future firsts gives Holmes a longer leash IMO. I think he?s gets until at least 2025/2026.

I don?t think the cap issue matters this year, the Lions are pretty much guaranteed to suck for at least the next two years. Any FA they sign or could?ve signed would simply be a body during the rebuild. Based on the current state of the team, I?d put a realistic timeline at ~4 years until it?s clear whether the rebuild is working or not, any FA we sign now will likely be due up for another contract by then.

I agree with you 1000% so if that's the case why in the hell would you want a veteran qb on your team making $25 mil a year. Its the same exact argument of why we wanted to move on from Stafford lol. This makes no sense...

I agree with you 1000% so if that's the case why in the hell would you want a veteran qb on your team making $25 mil a year. Its the same exact argument of why we wanted to move on from Stafford lol. This makes no sense...

only 2 explanations

1) they think that he could be the long term solution
2) they had to take on his contract in order to the the two future first round picks for Matt

2) they had to take on his contract in order to the the two future first round picks for Matt

Bingo

I see Goff's contract as nothing more than a burden they agreed to take on for an extra first.

They aren't losing out on any building block FAs because teams don't let guys like that go.

It would be different if the Lions were on the cusp, where cap space matters, and a few FAs could make a difference, but I think they're far away.

2021 2 wins
2022 4 wins
2023 5 wins

Way too negative

Lions/Browns SB 57

I?m not sure who wins, hopefully Lions!

So your plan at QB is to always have a QB who is on their rookie contract? Every 4-5 years need to draft the new starting QB? Who cares if that QB has been to the Super Bowl before, win or lose...who the fuck wants a QB who has lead their team to a SB?

I do get that his salary is too high. Perhaps he will be willing to do that thing players often do when their contract hurts the team...that thing called "restructure"? Maybe not, but did you even contemplate that as an option? Or you are just so hateful and spiteful that options mean nothing to you?

Fully expect Goff to be the Lions QB for the next 2 years, barring career ending injury. If he even gets the Lions to sniff the playoffs in those 2 years, just remember to bitch that he didn't win the Super Bowl despite the team not having enough supporting players yet to make that a reality...be sure to demand he no longer be the Lions QB because he is the problem.

Or be patient and see how it plays out. 2021-22 the coaches and Goff deserve a pass. We will see how the team develops, but obviously the playoffs are a pipe dream for next year. I fully expect them to compete for a playoff spot in 2022-23. In 2023-24, I expect them to make the playoffs. By 2024-25, they should be a strong playoff team, possibly make the SB. 2025-26, Goff will be in his late 20s and should have enough surrounding talent to compete at a level with the best, if not be the best.

You are on the complete opposite of the spectrum.

Realistically, can we both agree they will likely fall somewhere between our respective views?

So your plan at QB is to always have a QB who is on their rookie contract? Every 4-5 years need to draft the new starting QB? Who cares if that QB has been to the Super Bowl before, win or lose...who the fuck wants a QB who has lead their team to a SB?

I do get that his salary is too high. Perhaps he will be willing to do that thing players often do when their contract hurts the team...that thing called "restructure"? Maybe not, but did you even contemplate that as an option? Or you are just so hateful and spiteful that options mean nothing to you?

Fully expect Goff to be the Lions QB for the next 2 years, barring career ending injury. If he even gets the Lions to sniff the playoffs in those 2 years, just remember to bitch that he didn't win the Super Bowl despite the team not having enough supporting players yet to make that a reality...be sure to demand he no longer be the Lions QB because he is the problem.

Or be patient and see how it plays out. 2021-22 the coaches and Goff deserve a pass. We will see how the team develops, but obviously the playoffs are a pipe dream for next year. I fully expect them to compete for a playoff spot in 2022-23. In 2023-24, I expect them to make the playoffs. By 2024-25, they should be a strong playoff team, possibly make the SB. 2025-26, Goff will be in his late 20s and should have enough surrounding talent to compete at a level with the best, if not be the best.

You are on the complete opposite of the spectrum.

Realistically, can we both agree they will likely fall somewhere between our respective views?

Not saying that. Im saying theres a time for it. And now is that time for the lions. When you have 0 cap, 0 talent, 0 draft stock why would you delay getting a rookie qb in here to begin the process.

You guys are 50/50 thinking Goff is either a 2 year stop gap or a future QB. Im telling you holmes is 100% thinking Goff is our future QB. Every single way you look at it....it makes this rebuild process more difficult. Based on the trade he took its also going to take longer. The ONLY thing that happened to this team for 2021 is:

We have Goff as a starting QB
We are over the cap
We got a 3rd rd pick

Whats the bottom line...what do those 3 things mean? It means we cant resign Golladay or Okwara. It means we regressed at QB. And it means we cant sign any outside FAs to help fill in the gaps. It really didnt have to be like that. Carolina trade. And a realistic trade down from 8 and poof you have a rookie qb contract 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds, and some (not a lot) of cap space....and you can rebuild this year instead of next. He just chose to do it different and take longer.

Suddenly not resigning Golladay is a bad thing. People complained about him all year and his injury.

We will find out in about 2 months what we could do in FA. And trade downs are still a thing for pick 7 our Round 2 or Round 3 to accumulate more picks.

You guys always get in this mindset that the roster pre FA is what it will be. Lions are going to do many things for roster moves.

Suddenly not resigning Golladay is a bad thing. People complained about him all year and his injury.

We will find out in about 2 months what we could do in FA. And trade downs are still a thing for pick 7 our Round 2 or Round 3 to accumulate more picks.

You guys always get in this mindset that the roster pre FA is what it will be. Lions are going to do many things for roster moves.

i dont care much about resigning him. The talk back then was is he worth it and shouldnt we just consider a different guy like JuJu that will want similar money. Now we cant even tag n trade him if we wanted to lol.

i dont care much about resigning him. The talk back then was is he worth it and shouldnt we just consider a different guy like JuJu that will want similar money. Now we cant even tag n trade him if we wanted to lol.

couldn't they still tag n trade him as long as they get below the cap before March 17th?

Drafting a QB who has yet to prove he can win in the NFL is always a gamble. Goff has shown he can win. The biggest challenge is his salary, but we have no idea whether they have looked into restructuring his deal. If the Lions are smart they ask him to restructure to a 4 year deal that is loaded with incentives. Goff would likely prefer knowing he is not considered a stop gap and agree to it. Let's wait and see how that plays out, but the guy is only 24, giving him a 4 year restructure benefits all parties and is the smart thing to do, and he would be stupid to not sign it.

Trade Golladay for a couple picks if they can makes a ton of sense. We all recognize he is not THAT good, so maybe they get a 2nd and 4th this year for him. If they draft a WR at #7, the probable talent swap should be relatively equal if not better with the rookie who will play more than half the season, and it saves a ton of money. Go full D after that. Hopefully they get a solid #2 WR in FA at a price that is lower than Golladay's.

Much of this will be figured out within the next 3 months...be patient and let's just see what the new front office does.

couldn't they still tag n trade him as long as they get below the cap before March 17th?

If they had a trade partner in mind before then yes. But you cant really tag him if theres no plan to trade unless you plan on making the cap space to keep him. Most teams id assume would just take their chances in the FA market.

Drafting a QB who has yet to prove he can win in the NFL is always a gamble. Goff has shown he can win. The biggest challenge is his salary, but we have no idea whether they have looked into restructuring his deal. If the Lions are smart they ask him to restructure to a 4 year deal that is loaded with incentives. Goff would likely prefer knowing he is not considered a stop gap and agree to it. Let's wait and see how that plays out, but the guy is only 24, giving him a 4 year restructure benefits all parties and is the smart thing to do, and he would be stupid to not sign it.

Trade Golladay for a couple picks if they can makes a ton of sense. We all recognize he is not THAT good, so maybe they get a 2nd and 4th this year for him. If they draft a WR at #7, the probable talent swap should be relatively equal if not better with the rookie who will play more than half the season, and it saves a ton of money. Go full D after that. Hopefully they get a solid #2 WR in FA at a price that is lower than Golladay's.

Much of this will be figured out within the next 3 months...be patient and let's just see what the new front office does.

1) Saying hes proven he can win is like saying Trent Dilfer proved he can win.

2) You wont get much on an overpriced 1 year rental. 1 pick...probably a 4th. Mayyyybe a 3rd if a team is desperate and like WRs that have sustaining hip injuries.

3) Im not patient. Actually let me rephrase....ive been patient for 41 years. Im done being patient.

Last edited:

2) You wont get much on an overpriced 1 year rental. 1 pick...probably a 4th. Mayyyybe a 3rd if a team is desperate and like WRs that have sustaining hip injuries.

3) Im not patient. Actually let me rephrase....ive been patient for 41 years. Im done being patient.

Goff had a 100 QB rating. Dilfer not even close. Goff was making plays. I get you want to bash anyone who dons a Lions uniform but Goff made plays is a fact.

Also a veteran like Goff gives you a chance to win sooner IF he works out. You wrote him off already without seeing him take one snap with new coaching. Also can Swift, returning Oline and whoever they add at power back become a good run game under Lynn. Maybe. Sad for you to write things off so quickly. They will probably stink but it's not a slam dunk the team will be awful. Especially if you believe coaching was the biggest issue for the defense.

Dilfer won a Super Bowl. I would take him over Stafford and his 0 playoff victories any day.

Seriously tell me you would rather have a Stafford-esque QB that yields 0 playoff wins over a Dilfer-esque QB with a Super Bowl victory.

I would take any QB who wins a Super Bowl over any QB who does not. They could set the record for lowest QBR during the entire season, playoffs, and Super Bowl...but if they win the Lions the championship I wouldn't give a fuck.

Yeah, I know...they would be carried by the run game and defense. Yet, that QB still managed to not lose the game and lead the team to victory. Give me THAT guy, I'm happy.

Oh, and 49 years for me...so...yeah...that meant nothing.

Last edited:
That guy doesnt win in the current league right. Only works in 2000 not passing 2021 league..you gotta drop 30 ppg..rams number 1 d and gave up 32 in loss to packers

Dilfer won a Super Bowl. I would take him over Stafford and his 0 playoff victories any day.

Seriously tell me you would rather have a Stafford-esque QB that yields 0 playoff wins over a Dilfer-esque QB with a Super Bowl victory.

I would take any QB who wins a Super Bowl over any QB who does not. They could set the record for lowest QBR during the entire season, playoffs, and Super Bowl...but if they win the Lions the championship I wouldn't give a fuck.

Yeah, I know...they would be carried by the run game and defense. Yet, that QB still managed to not lose the game and lead the team to victory. Give me THAT guy, I'm happy.

Oh, and 49 years for me...so...yeah...that meant nothing.

Yikes Trent dilfer

Back