Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Playoff picture

Hard to believe after that disaster in London that we're talking about playoffs at all. This is indeed a strange, unpredictable league. Where a string of 3 wins can change the landscape so drastically.

talking about it but it isn't realistic. There are 14 out of 16 teams in the NFC with records equal to or better than the Lions.

talking about it but it isn't realistic. There are 14 out of 16 teams in the NFC with records equal to or better than the Lions.

100% true, but most of them don't have the easy schedule the remainder of the season that we do. So it's not really "out of place" to talk about it... but I have to admit, I feel like going all Jim Mora on this thread.

PLAYOFFS? You want to talk about Playoffs? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game.

I'm with you tom, I don't think it's realistic at all. It's an interesting conversation simple because the NFL has been preaching the concept of parity (or as I call is parody) for years, and this year might finally be an example of it on the microcosm.

If the Lions could just win Thursday, finish 9-7 and knock GB out of the playoffs, it would be poetic justice for all the misery that team has caused us for over two decades. Watching GB on Thanksgiving, the offense really isn't all that anymore. No Jordy Nelson is finally catching up to them. Randall Cobb and James Jones have been solid, but the rest of the receiving core is awful. That Adams kid couldn't catch ANYTHING Thursday. And their TEs are nothing to write home about. And Lacy is fumble prone. I don't think ARod can make this team R-E-L-A-X this time. A 9-7 finish for them is not out of the question.

If the Lions could just win Thursday, finish 9-7 and knock GB out of the playoffs, it would be poetic justice for all the misery that team has caused us for over two decades. Watching GB on Thanksgiving, the offense really isn't all that anymore. No Jordy Nelson is finally catching up to them. Randall Cobb and James Jones have been solid, but the rest of the receiving core is awful. That Adams kid couldn't catch ANYTHING Thursday. And their TEs are nothing to write home about. And Lacy is fumble prone. I don't think ARod can make this team R-E-L-A-X this time. A 9-7 finish for them is not out of the question.

I'm not sure the Lions can finish 8 and 0. Have we ever won 8 in a row, in one season, the past 50 years? Even 9-7 gives us little chance. Too many teams in front of us.

Man...fucking with KC's never a good idea. Get ya tarred and feathered in these here parts. And rightfully so I might add.

If we beat Green Bay on Thursday, I can see us winning the rest. Of course, I think I said this was a potential twelve win team at the beginning of the season, so, well, yeah I really know what I'm talking about...

Tis funny though, if we win out, I do see two more potential losses on Green Bay's schedule. And hey, if Green Bay gets bit by the injury bug, anything's possible!

Using the NYT Playoff Calculator and figuring out who I think will win each game, even if the Lions win out, they should have a 1% chance to make the playoffs, assuming Green Bay doesn't tank.

The big key in my numbers is week 15. Based on the picks I plugged in (and I gave Detroit the Packers game for sake of argument) if the Packers lose to the Raiders, the Lions odds completely flip. We go from 1% odds to 99%.

I didn't really play with any other games, because that's the only "maybe" game I see. There are always upsets.. any given Sunday and all... but that's the breakdown I see. Our season really hinges on us winning out, and the Raiders beating the Packers in Week 15.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...&ari-sea-17=loss&den-sd-17=win&sf-stl-17=loss

Last edited:
It doesn't matter which of those games you flip ink, Raiders, Dallas, or Minnesota. It's about both of us finishing 9-7. We'd have the tiebreaker having swept the series. We need to win out and the Pack needs to lose to us, Arizona, and one of the other remaining games. Then, we're a shoo-in!

It doesn't matter which of those games you flip ink, Raiders, Dallas, or Minnesota. It's about both of us finishing 9-7. We'd have the tiebreaker having swept the series. We need to win out and the Pack needs to lose to us, Arizona, and one of the other remaining games. Then, we're a shoo-in!

What if the Falcons get to 10 wins? Or 9 wins and get us in conference wins? It won't be a shoo-in if your scenario plays out. Just makes it possible.

At least we'll know soon, possibly. We lose on Sunday and it's over.

Last edited:
What if the Falcons get to 10 wins? Or 9 wins and get us in conference wins? It won't be a shoo-in if your scenario plays out. Just makes it possible.

I 100% guarantee we will NOT lose Sunday. No chance. Book it. Mark it down. It's a fact jack.

...we play on Thursday

Have you seen ATL's schedule.. Not a chance he heck the get to 9 or ten wins..

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to come across like a jerk. I just looked at it and thought how unfair it was. But thanks for putting it together.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I didn't think that LOL. Sorry if i came off that way..

My predictions !!!!!

But then once the packers punk us on Thursday we can forget all of this..
Lions making believers out of us again !!!!!

Minnesota 8-3.........................12-4

Seattle 6-5......W
AZ 9-2.............L
Chicago 5-6.....W
Giants 5-6.......W
Green bay 7-4..W
--------------------------
Green bay 7-4...........................8-8

@ Detroit 4-7.........L
Dallas 3-8..............W
@ Oakland 5-6........L
@ AZ 9-2...............L
Minnesota 8-3.........L
--------------------------
Chicago 5-6............7-9

SF 3-8....................W
Washington 4-6.......W
@ Minnesota 8-3.....L
@ TB 5-6...............L
Lions 4-7...............L
----------------------------
Lions 4-7....................................9-7

Packers 7-4................W
@ Rams 4-7...............W
@ New Orleans 4-7.....W
SF 3-8.......................W
@ Bears 5-6...............W
------------------------------
Seattle 6-5...................................9-7

@ Minnesota 8-3........L
@ Baltimore 4-7.........L
Cleveland 2-9............W
St Louis 4-7..............W
@ AZ 9-2..................L
---------------------------
Atlanta 6-5..................................8-8
@ TB 5-6......................L
@ Carolina 11-0.............L
@ Jacksonville 4-7.........W
Carolina 11-0.................L
New Orleans 4-7............W
------------------------
Tampa Bay 5-6............................8-8

Atlanta.......................W
NO.............................W
@ St Louis...................L
Chicago......................W
@ Carolina..................L
--------------------
NYG 5-6....................................7-9

Jets....................L
@ Miami.............W
Carolina..............L
@ Minnesota........L
Philadelphia.........W
---------------------
Washington 5-6..........................8-8

Dallas................W
@ Chicago..........L
Buffalo...............L
@ Philadelphia....W
@ Dallas............W

Last edited:
I 100% guarantee we will NOT lose Sunday. No chance. Book it. Mark it down. It's a fact jack.

...we play on Thursday

Funny ;-). I turned 50 2 weeks ago and I swear it has done something with my brain.. At least it's on TV.. Thanks, Ink.

Eh, I thought mentioning "Lions" and "shoo-in for the playoffs" together was a joke everybody would get, but I guess not. To your point though and and agreeing with Bob's that follows, Hotlanta's schedule down the stretch is brutal!

Oh and happy belated 50th Mitch!

All of these predictions are fun...I predict the Lions lose at least one more game...probably 2

EDIT

if they lose Thursday my prediction goes up to a minimum of 3 more losses.

Last edited:
All of these predictions are fun...I predict the Lions lose at least one more game...probably 2

EDIT

if they lose Thursday my prediction goes up to a minimum of 3 more losses.

I don't think they win Thursday. But if they do, they run the table. And in honor of hoopster - Book it!

Next 4 games are all in domes, so that helps the Lions.

That last game @ Chicago...on JANUARY 3rd...that is the biggest hurdle IMO. Lions never play well outside in the winter...not to mention the traditional home cooking the Bears get when the Lions visit. CJ will probably need to take 10 steps, turn around, do a backflip, cross the goal line, take another 10 steps...and then when he hands the ball to the ref they will rule it a fumble.

I could see Minnesota losing 4 of their next 5. That teams success hinges way too much on AP. He goes down, it's over for them. Imo, APs workload and presence alone have extremely hindered Bridgewaters development.

Last edited:
Back